PDA

View Full Version : VX Rollovers!

Randy
12/18/2002, 12:28 PM
With the industry's renewed focus on SUV rollover testing and actually creating a ranking system for the consumers to utilize in deciding on their next SUV purchase, how are we doing?

Has anyone had their VX rollover or almost rollover? Does anyone know of a VX rollever incident? I'm referring to highway driving - not offroading. It would most likely occur in an emergency manouver while trying to avoid someone (like those idiot non-VX'ers) or something.

I personally have not even had a close call. My experience in manouvers has been like I'm driving a sports car. Of course, my VX is functionally a factory ride with no lift modifications, tire or wheel size changes, etc. Let us know.

Randy in South Florida

VX crazy
12/18/2002, 12:54 PM
Well I came quite close going about 60mph around a sharp S curve when I had to swerve hard and fast to avoid a dead deer in the fast lane, thank goodness no one was next to me. It handled just like a sports car, This deer took up the entire fast lane so I knew I could not stradle it. I am sure if it had been lifted or had different tires it could have flipped.

TDAWG
12/18/2002, 01:33 PM
I once had to dodge crashing into a school bus due to some idiot driving a supped-up honda civic. he decide to past in the break down lane without know that there was a barrier comin up quick. As he saw the barrier he jumpped in front of me and I swerved around him and the school bus thank god for my VX handling so well cuz not only did I not have an accident but I got a chance to meet up with the moron. I asked him what possed him to try that $*!% in the 1st place. He said he thought he could make it with out causing an accident. That same day I raced him in an industrial Park that has a 1/4 mile straight GUESS WHO WON ;Dy; Ever since then I don't have a need to prove myself again. Looks can be decieving.

Randy
12/18/2002, 05:32 PM
I travel 35 miles (one-way) to the office every day and average 80-85mph on I-95 every day. On Fridays though, the traffic requires 85-95 (and very frequently over 100mph). I have been very comfortable with the stability of my VX and have always kept the highest quality tires with plenty of tread, not waiting until wear marks show for replacement.

I love the handling of my VX. I feel quite safe also. But, if I needed to make some drastic maneuver at high speed, I wonder how much I could "push the limit" and still be here with you all.

More importantly, should Isuzu re-enstate and re-market the VX for safety concerns that are going to be impressed upon the general buying public in the very near future.

Randy

P.S. Tone, I thought you had some protection on your transfer case.

Tone
12/18/2002, 07:27 PM
I run High Speed Driver’s Ed events with a local Porsche club and I can tell you it takes a lot to upset the VX. I just ran this past weekend and pushed it harder than I have ever done before and it was both reassuring AND scary. With ANY vehicle, the wrong steering input for the corner and you and it can flip but the taller one goes the less radical a move required to cause it to roll.

Going through several twisties at better than 80MPH, it became very apparent that a slight turn of the wheel too much would have caused an incredibly devastating rollover. I have spun at this same flat track at almost 90 and came out ok but it was under different conditions in a much different corner.

I run low profile, V rated 17” tires that have a lot of grip but I’m still aware of the body movement and exercise a good amount of caution - see this 15MB video shot at this track showing the slow corners (<50mph) - http://homepage.mac.com/amonday/iMovieTheater.html

StormTROOPER
12/19/2002, 03:02 AM
Unlike most boxy SUVs, the Vehicross's wide stance and tapered roof give it a much lower center of gravity than most, of course it's not impossible to roll, but probally more difficult. I know it handles California's winding mountain roads like a miata ( well almost ;) ) I went to the Highway Safety crash test website to see how the VX tested, but the VX is about the only vehicle they didn't crash into a wall, I guess they couldn't bring themselves to destroy the little beaut.;Db;

TDAWG
12/19/2002, 09:49 AM
Hey Cali4niaVXer has a point. I use to be in the ARMY and I know a couple of guys that rooled over a HUMMER:laughy: It was the funniest thing. Thank god no one got hurt only restrictions.

StormTROOPER
12/19/2002, 02:32 PM
I never have understood the whole HUMMER attraction, just looks like a military BUS to me, and the Wrangler is not only military lookin but also a vehicle that delivers MAIL.:p

WormGod
12/19/2002, 02:46 PM
I cant vouch for any good rollover ratings, but the VX stands up well in head on collisions. A combined speed of 95-105 mph and I am still walking (barely) and talking. Cant say so much for the guy who decided to be in my lane however. :(

skullcap
12/22/2002, 08:08 PM
I'm a spanking new owner of a 2000 Ebony Black VX.

Professionally I'm an ecologist. However, I also happen to work for the USDOT - Federal Highway Administration (we can talk about the professional nexus later; suffice it to say that the interaction between deer and vehicles at highway speeds is something I'm working to minimize for the wildlife's peace-of-mind as well as ours - see www.wildlifecrossings.info for more).

A check of our sister-agency, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( http://www.nhtsa.gov/ ) reveals no specific safety testing for the VX.

It probably will-not come until after the holidaze have passed, but I have the priviledge of working with some of my agency's national experts on rollover and run-off-the-road crash statistics and prevention. I intend to ask them for information on how we can obtain data for the VX, even if it is incomplete for official publication.

Next month, I'll be in Washington at the annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board, where I will have another opportunity to meet some of the nation's leading highway safety experts. As a new owner, myself, I intend to exploit every opportunity to learn what is known about the VX and safety research.

I'll post anything I learn on this thread.

edyavno
12/23/2002, 06:11 AM
skullcap,
welcome to the site and the great community of the VX owners!

I'm sure many people here would apreciate any information you can find.

- Ed Y.

Cyrk
12/23/2002, 12:20 PM
Skullcap where in GA are you I am in Roswell...

Congrats on your Black bute...

-Dave

skullcap
12/23/2002, 06:08 PM
I'm snugly located 3 blocks south of the East Atlanta Village; 2 miles south of Little Five Points and 1 mile east of the Grant Park Zoo.

:cool: Following guidance from some colleagues, I've been poring over NHTSA's Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS). Of course it's fatality-oriented crash data, but I cannot find database information on anything bu Isuzu Rodeos and Trooper II crash reports (curious-though, there seem to be a fair number of these in Florida on dry pavement in fair weather).

I've also browsed the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's individual vehicle ratings for the 40 mph frontal offset crash test, a rule-of-thumb rating system for vehicle crashworthiness. The Amigo is the only compact SUV by Isuzu that is rated and it doesn't fair too well in the ratings. (Of course, no one would draw any comparisons between the safety of a Corvair and Caprice, though both were made by the same manufacturer.)

So, I might have to wait until my visit to DC to see who can tell me more about how to learn about VX crash and rollover histories.
;Db;

xdfarrx
12/26/2002, 07:46 PM
Hello-
I thought I would address this post. I have a 99' and I drive in winter conditions and cold roads frequently. I am experienced in these conditions and have frequented a couple ice driving schools as well.
Anyways. I have found my vx has had oversteer since the get go. An obvious tight wheel base promotes this. I have always been aware of the oversteer sensation. My worst example was- I almost lost it coming down a descending left road curve with probably no heat in my tires on a dry road with temps in the low 20's, right after I got off the throttle in which the car slightly engine breaked, which sent the weight bias to the front. The rear end lifted slightly enough for the car to oversteer to the right and scare the s%$t out of me.. It startled me, to say the least. I immiediately started to explore how to offset this. I looked at raising the front end, (suspension sag), and tightening the torsion(?) bars underneath. After discusion with head mechanic John Roscoe (Lithia Audi/Isuzu Reno) I felt this was not the way. I opted for rally style adjustment and let out 4 pounds of pressure in the rear tires. It really helped and took out the oversteer sensation, especially in the snow and ice conditions I drive in. FYI I considered the sag adjustment because I have done this on my street bikes I ride...my vx isn't a street bike. As well the the short well base is going to make all vx's a little quirky under deeaccelarating turns, just like the WRC Peuguot 206. With a 90 inch wheel base it is inherent. I also replaced my rims to a wider 2 piece 16 by 8 bbs rim which gave me a better stance but has made loose snow driving more squirmy.
Stoked on the forum-
xdfarrrx

SGT.BATGUANO
12/29/2002, 03:16 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/501/149000460_dr.jpg

If you hit 'em hard enough BROADSIDE

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/501/149000460_pr.jpg

;)