PDA

View Full Version : Gear shift problem

zzzyang
02/19/2004, 02:22 PM
Hi guys, i just a VX and this is my first truck/SUV/4WD ^^ and i had a sedan before.

this is my second day own the Vx and so far i am pretty happy about it. But there is one thing I notice is that when my geer shift from R to D (drive). The geer shift makes a big noise under the back seats, it sounds like a someone randonly drop a 40lbs object on the ground. Is it normal for a truck or SUV or it is special design for a 4WD?

and also i had read lots of good commends about how great the ride is, but since i drove i found out the ride is not smooth at all. It bounces a lot ( really a lot ) whenever drive over a hole or an object. Is it normal? or my expectation is too high compare to my old Lincoln towncar ( air shock )

Thank you guys

Colin

AlaskaVX
02/19/2004, 02:26 PM
As for the ride it gives a good bounce when you hit a bump but it should quickly recover from it and ride smooth. If you continue to bounce a ways down the road after hitting a bump then most likely your shocks are bad.

For the shifting, it does give a little clunk (especially in 4Lo) but its not a 40lb weight sound, maybe a 5lb weight (for me it doesn't happen unless I'm on an incline) I found that if you put it in neutral after you park, let it setttle then put it in park you won't get the clunk. Maybe go under your car (while in neutral) and give your drive shaft a good shaking to see if it moves.

VX_PA
02/19/2004, 02:30 PM
It will not ride like a floaty air-bag Lincoln. It should feel tight and it will jolt when you hit a bump. It's more like driving a sports car than a truck.

The shifting noise is something else. Mine doesn't make that kind of noise when shifting from R to D. You may want to have the U-joints checked out.;)

jayfotos
02/19/2004, 02:33 PM
I have the same problem with shifting, it's been like that from the day I bought it brand new.

I said something once to my dealer about it and he said, "Isuzu's are loud"....ok.

my two cents...

Heraclid
02/19/2004, 03:24 PM
zzzyang,

I can hear the shift in mine too, but it's nothing I'd ever worry about. Yours must be louder.

It's normal to bounce a bit in the bumps - chalk that up to the short wheelbase and firm suspension. Mine rides great on a nice stretch of road - great road manners for an SUV. Compared to my dad's Navigator and Explorer before that - well, there is no comparison.

I love to feel the road. My parents had a Mercury Grand Marquis for a while, and it really did feel like it was floating. Granted, it wasn't the first thing I ever drove so I was already used to some road feel, but I hated that car. I want to feel some feedback. I much preferred my Avenger and now the VX because they give a bit of a kick on the bumps. There are times I think it would be bad not to have that.

MZ-N10
02/19/2004, 03:51 PM
there a pretty loud *clunk* when i shift to...i think its pretty normal cause we do have a good amout of torque even at idle....
________
Orangedouce Live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/orangedouce)

VehiX
02/19/2004, 04:03 PM
Towards the end of last year I had a problem with the tranny shifting.

It would not go in to reverse or drive on occasion. Even though the gear indicator showed it was in gear. This started happening more often over a weeks time. I got concerned when it started banging in to gear after a hestitation to actually shift in to gear.

The dealer had it for a day and stated they "Adjusted the Auto Trans Shifter Lever" to fix the problem.

Not sure if this is the type of problem you are experiencing but at least when you take it to the dealer you have something to tell them to look at.

Hope this helps :)

mrtew
02/19/2004, 07:13 PM
I don't think the noise is normal. I never hear any sound when shifting from reverse to drive or vice-versa.

ThirtyftFL
02/19/2004, 08:45 PM
I have the noise. It has gotten worse over time. The dealeship checked the rear and said it was fine, but not the U-joints. I just live with it. It's worse on an incline as well. Still don't think it is anything devistating.

zzzyang
02/20/2004, 02:15 AM
Guys, thanks for the advices, i really appreacite it.

i guess i need to get used to this vehicle, and i think i am spoiled by the air ride from Lincoln ^^

the VX is really a eye catcher, i have had for two days and more than 20 people had have talk to me about this vehicle in first day of the ownership. ^ ^

Thank you

Colin

weasel
02/20/2004, 05:17 PM
I have the same problem and I had the same klunk in the trooper I had before.

I guess its saying its ready to move.............
-Fred

Heraclid
02/20/2004, 07:11 PM
I can hear a slight something going to reverse, but the only thing I ever get that I'd call a clunk is occasionally when stopping and it gets to about 5 mph. Which is apparently pretty normal for the VX and Troopers.

rocket man
02/22/2004, 09:12 PM
Wow!! ZZZYANG you went from a Lincoln Towncar to a VX? :rolleyes:

That's like having a wife that looks like Geraldo Rivera in drag, then waking up one morning and realizing it...knawing your arm off at the shoulder and marrying Nicole Kidman!

Now as for the ride...get used to it....you are diving Nicole now not Geraldo; :rotate:

zzzyang
02/23/2004, 11:02 AM
haha ........i am getting used to my VX now....i am loving it