PDA

View Full Version : Intake gasket. Do it yourself

andy454
02/18/2004, 08:04 PM
Well I just got done replacing my wife's intake gasket on her trooper. This will be the second on in 20k. If anyone has an issue with the intake gasket I highly recommend to do it yourself. There is an easy way to cheat and not remove the entire intake. It took me 2 hours and the dealer wanted $300 for the job. The only thing I had to remove was the egr pipe. If anyone wants the tips feel free to e-mail me at anpodnar@isza.com. I did it basically like I have done many 3.1L gm intakes. All you need to do is take off all the bolts and nuts from the intake and use a wedge under the intake and you can remove the gaskets and replace. Later

Maverick
02/19/2004, 07:52 AM
just courios, any one try using "Phenolic " intake spacers to reduce heat tranferrence to the intake runners? dont know if their even available for the 3.5, but the 2.5 ford/mazda people rave about them... thought id ask, im still clueless about this power plant..but trying.....:D

Tone
02/19/2004, 07:59 AM
The Isuzu ones ARE Phenolic...

Maverick
02/19/2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Tone

woohoo!! one less notch on the clueless tree for me... :dance:
I like this truck!! :D

AREA 51
02/19/2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Tone

Apparently some kind of inferior phenolic.

joe-yamma
02/19/2004, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a great write-up for the How-to section... ;)

Hotsauce
02/20/2004, 06:07 PM
You'd have to wedge it up quite a bit, the front and rear fasteners are studs, not nuts. They are hex ended, so you may be able to remove them to make the process easier though.

John C.

VX922
02/21/2004, 08:09 AM
I would suggest use of avionic gasket cement (shellac) on both sides of the gasket degreasing mating surfaces is mandatory. Let it semi dry before clamping. Definitely avoid silicone sealants!

Jay Dunford
02/21/2004, 04:38 PM
Absolutely NOT - gaskets have a sealing substance already on them. Please refrain from giving out incorrect info for something you have not done yourself and tested.

Heraclid
02/21/2004, 04:56 PM
Hey Jay, PM'd ya about something (unrelated)...

VX922
02/21/2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Jay Dunford
Absolutely NOT - gaskets have a sealing substance already on them. Please refrain from giving out incorrect info for something you have not done yourself and tested.

Sorry to disagree, but I had very good luck with this method for many years on many vehicles even on ported intake tracts. I didn't have to change gasket on mine VX yet possibly because I re-torqued down most of the bolts after break in period. I assume that new VX gasket has self adhesive coating on it to keep it in place during installation, this adhesive/sealing substance may not be as effective as gasket cement which would explain the need to do it the second time within 20k on Andys454 wife's Trooper.
FelPro has put out some publications in the past that deal with this subject.

VX922

Jay Dunford
02/21/2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
Hey Jay, PM'd ya about something (unrelated)...

No PM on the site yet, shoot me an email.