PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Robert
02/17/2004, 05:55 PM
Guys,

Anybody using the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF? I asked the local ISUZU service here and they told me that I should not use it because it may waive my warranty. Are they just BS-ing me or just want to sell me their stuff?

Thanks for any comment.

Robert

Chopper
02/17/2004, 06:13 PM
It should not void any Isuzu warranty. Trans diffs or engine.

gruven
02/17/2004, 06:24 PM
Interesting.... I went out and bought Mobil1 synthetic all the way around for my 15,000 mile service a few weeks ago.

Received a call later in the day saying that they did not want to put ATF & gear synthetic in. They acknowledged that "a lot of people may be having success with it" but something about the unique-ness of our tranny that didn't like synthetic.

I definitely am not one to argue with mechanics, so just left and tried to feel comfort in my mechanic actually caring (have been using him for a long time). And yes- it would screw with my warranty.

OK JoeBlack, I know you can fill us in here and show us where the BS leads to!
I was under the impression that since Mobil met (if not exceeded) requirements that we were OK. Maybe so, but only if not under warranty?

-gruven:supercool

Daver
02/17/2004, 06:34 PM
The manual most likely states the proper spec to use. As long as whatever you put in there falls into that spec, you should be fine from a warranty point of view.

BUT, if they're correct in that ours really don't like synthetic, then it's just a bad idea to use it.

Just because something isn't illegal, doesn't make it right. ;)

-Daver

Joe_Black
02/17/2004, 08:31 PM
Yep, you're right, BS. Your mechanic or the dealer may not like it, but as long as any product you wish to use meets the INDUSTRY specifications and is used in the proper manner, then there is no way your warranty can be voided. This falls under federal anti-trust regulations I believe, and Mobil-1 even has a copy of the reg on their website.

Also, if your tranny doesn't like Mobil-1 ATF, then it's already broken!;pg;

Robert
02/18/2004, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the inputs guys.

On the Mobil 1 website they refer to the Specifications & Approvals from:

Allison C-4
Ford Mercon
General Motors Dexron III

Joe_Black are you using Mobil 1 or something else?

What other brand shall I check out?

Thanks again

Robert

Joe_Black
02/18/2004, 05:21 AM
I'm a big Mobil-1 fan (sold on it from their aviation product, the first approved synthetic) and use it 100% in all my vehicles. Here's an excerpt from their website FAQ regarding warranty:

Q: Will the use of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ void my new-car warranty?
A: With the exception of the Mazda rotary engine (Mazda does not recommend any synthetic motor oils for its rotary-engine vehicles), the use of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will not void new-car warranties. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ exceeds the API and ILSAC engine oil service requirements of all new-car manufacturers, both import and domestic. If in doubt, always check your vehicle owner's manual or contact your vehicle's manufacturer.

For more warranty information you can review the Magnuson-Moss Act (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm) at the FTC site. Look at the "Tie-In Sales Provisions" section. There's a more specific document dealing with automotive warranty protection, specifically lubricants and such, which I'll post if I can find it online again.

Here's another interpretation of the act:

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act, a vehicle manufacturer may not make its vehicle warranty conditional on the use of any brand of oil unless the manufacturer provides the product free of charge or the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has specifically published that only the vehicle manufacturer’s product may be used. To challenge a false claim, ask the person (mechanic, dealer) to put it in writing, or request the vehicle manufacturer’s product free of charge. If you are charged for the product, or they refuse to give you a written statement, there may be a violation of Federal law.

Yet another good review of the subject:
The Mechanic. (http://www.pennzoil.ro/carcare/pete/spring_1998/remember.htm)

Hope that clears things up a bit!;pg;[

Robert
02/18/2004, 05:32 AM
Thanks Joe_Black!

It sounds good , I will go ahead and buy it.

Robert

joe-yamma
02/18/2004, 05:50 AM
Amsoil also adheres to all of those industry standards.
That was one of the first things I read about before putting Amsoil into my vehicles... I hate when mechanics are full fo bs like that !!! :mad:

www.amsoil.com

Joe

Tone
02/18/2004, 06:55 AM
Been running ALL synthetics since my Vx turned 1K miles w/o a problem.