PDA

View Full Version : check engine light

lenny
02/16/2004, 02:16 PM
hi all

i know i should search past posts sorry

strange today on way to work driving normally, bling engine light came on erm? pulled over to check all and every thing seemed ok so went onto work engine light still on no problems in the way it drove, so at work took a lead off the battery for a couple of mins then put it back on, engine light has stayed off,

any one else had this
is there a common sensor that breaks down

many thanks all

SPAZZ
02/16/2004, 03:37 PM
good luck...could be anything from a short to intake to nothing...to MAF...to fuel cap not on tight enough...etc....

lenny
02/16/2004, 03:41 PM
thanks

just read through past post very helpful

many thanks

SGT.BATGUANO
02/16/2004, 04:37 PM
Try to find someone who can read the trouble code next time.

Tone
02/16/2004, 07:59 PM
Fuel cap not on tight will NOT cause a flashing CEL - flashing indicates a more severe problem like spark knock or misfire. Best to retrieve that code and be gentle when it is flashing if you must move it.

Tiger66
02/17/2004, 12:49 PM
I had an intermitent check engine light. car ran fine. it was an intake maniford gasket going bad. Replaced the gasket and it runs better than before. may not be your problem, but something else to consider.

lenny
02/17/2004, 01:38 PM
thanks

andy454
02/18/2004, 07:24 AM
A flashing light indicates a misfire above a certain percent that will cause cat damage. When I did misfire cals on the prowler we would cause a misfire and monitor the cat temps until they got to a point that would cause damage. The cal would then be set at this misfire percent. My wife's trooper just set a flashing light. Turned out to be the intake gasket. This will be the second one in a year. I monitored the scanner and the front two cylinders( one on each bank) were misfiring every time.