PDA

View Full Version : Steel braided brake lines?

Dallas4u
02/10/2004, 10:46 AM
Trying to search the boards a bit... does anyone make a direct replacement (or very close to it) of steel braided brake lines for the VX? I thought I remembered a shop (online) making them available, but I can't find them. Someone also mentioned making them yourself would be a lot cheaper... anyone care to chime in on that?

Cyrk
02/10/2004, 10:49 AM
Dallas4u I put on a set of these Stainless Steel Braided Brake lines on my VX from Darlington Off-Road Products when I upgraded to sport pads and Power Slot rotors...

Pretty good price, and bolted on with no problems.

http://darlington-offroad.com/category.html?UCIDs=1134065

http://darlington-offroad.com/Images/completebrakelineset1.jpg

-Dave

Dallas4u
02/10/2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks Dave! You answered so damn fast I had to do a double take to make sure I was seeing a reply that quickly!

Did you also purchase the Speedbleeder bleeder screws? I'm assuming this install isn't too hard to do, say, in a day?

Thanks again... exactly what I was looking for!

Cyrk
02/10/2004, 10:57 AM
Did not get the Speedbleeder, but that does look kewl.

I did not install the lines my mechanic did, but he said the were silky smooth.

With the rotors and lines and pads the package that I have really make the VX feel stronger when pushed hard. Plus it looks so cool with my red calipers and silver rotors and lines.

-Dave

Tone
02/10/2004, 11:03 AM
Joes are the best out there and he is big Isuzu supporter as well. The speed bleeders are incredible - makes one person bleeding a breeze. We put them on Tim's trcuk before Moab last year - BTW, has ANYONE heard from him?

Joe has a few sets in stock right now (and can always get more) - I spoke with him Sunday and have 2 kits on the way for friends.

Dallas4u
02/10/2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys... I appreciate the speedy replies.

I was looking at Earl's hoses and fittings (per a diagram on the 4x4 Isuzu forum), and it looks like it would cost around $156 for the hose and fittings... then you would have to cut and fit the fittings yourself, then install and hope everything works and fits correctly.

I'd say the ones from Darlington are the absolute best deal.

WyrreJ
02/10/2004, 09:28 PM
What does bleeding (the brake lines?) do for you?

Dallas4u
02/11/2004, 01:04 AM
Well, you really only bleed the brakes when you want to service them... if you don't bleed them, they squirt the brake fuid everywhere when you take a hose off.

It's like draining the coolant when you want to replace radiator hoses.

I know "bleeding the brake lines" sounded kinda cool, but it is just basic service.

Doc4h
02/11/2004, 10:15 AM
"Well, you really only bleed the brakes when you want to service them... if you don't bleed them, they squirt the brake fuid everywhere when you take a hose off.

It's like draining the coolant when you want to replace radiator hoses."

Sorry but I need to clear up this barke bleading misinformation.
Bleading your brake lines is more like flushing your radiator. The reason for bleading your brakes is to get all the air out and if you are really going for the full overhall it also flushes out all your old brake fluid. The reason you don't want air in the lines is because air can compress which robs braking power and gives you squishy brakes. Also if you ever change brake lines, calipers or do any work on your brake that allows air into the system they should be bled.

Dallas4u
02/11/2004, 11:11 AM
It's not misinformation. You bleed to service. Servicing includes anything you do to the brake lines and brake system... not only getting all the air out, but also if you want to just replace the fluid, change the lines, replace one line, replace the master cylinder, whatever. Whatever you do to the braking system it is a good idea to bleed and refill.

I was just trying to make a simple point. WyreeJ thought bleeding would do something extra for you, as it may if you do have air or dirty fluid in the lines. Other than that, bleeding is for servicing. That was my point.

Doc4h
02/11/2004, 05:25 PM
Hope I did not offend you, that was not my intention and I realize your point about service. I was only trying to give anyone who was reading the thread a bit more info and let them know that bleeding brakes was not about brake fluid squirting everywhere.

WyrreJ
02/11/2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys, that's kinda what I was thinking but not being automotively inclined didn't trust my instinct.

Spike
02/12/2004, 06:42 AM
I know the braided lines are more durable, but is there a noticeable difference in brake feel (Assuming nothing else has been replaced) ???

Cyrk
02/12/2004, 06:52 AM
Yes pedal feel is tighter. Then again I did performance rotors and pads at the same time.

But the lines by them self should offer a tighter feel to the brakes.

-Dave

Spike
02/12/2004, 07:01 AM
I will worry about the rotors when I need to change mine out...

But as for sheer upgrades (performance or asthetic) ... one piece at a time... makes it more affordable...

I want to paint the calipers, so I might as well do the lines while I'm down there..

Navigator
10/17/2005, 06:43 AM
Darlington's site has kits for Rodeo's & Gen II Troopers, which ones are best fits for the VX?

Numba1goalie
10/17/2005, 11:03 AM
Are these lines longer then the OEM ones? If i were to get new ones I would atleast want a pair that would be able to work with a new lift kit after a while.

Tone
10/17/2005, 11:22 AM
Yes, they are longer. Just note on the order they are for a VX.