PDA

View Full Version : New Brake Rotors

TDAWG
02/07/2004, 04:39 PM
Well peeps,
Today I did alittle search for a big brake kit and came up with this site. http://www.raceshopper.com/sp_isuzu.shtml
It seems that these have the looks and sound like they would be good for my VX. I'll post up better pics when they come in. I figured I might as well start now getting some mods in so that way once the spring and summer comes I can start hitting the car show seen with some new mods.

Dallas4u
02/07/2004, 04:46 PM
Is this really a "big brake kit", or slotted, drilled, and/or diamond slotted discs? Usually big brake kits involve replacing the rotors with larger rotors and larger calipers with extensions.

Anyway, nice price for rotors, but the subject line threw me!

TDAWG
02/08/2004, 12:03 PM
Hey Dallas,
Sorry bout that. It's actually is a replacement for the stock rotors. I've been trying to find a company that makes a big brake kit but as of yet no luck. Since I do change my rims rims and tires for the seasons I wanna upgrade my brakes but it just seems like there's no luck in finding them.

Joe_Black
02/08/2004, 02:59 PM
These are the ones I linked in Tone's thread recently. They do have a very nice selection and reasonable prices, plus the drilled/slotted rotors are done with the sinusoidal radius.

Tone
02/08/2004, 07:09 PM
I got one set in from them but unfortunately, my telling them repeatedly that I had ABS did not allow them to send the right ones. Replacements are being sent and they are paying the freight back on the set that is not tapped for the ABS ring. A good time to replace rotors FYI is when you are greasing your wheel bearings.

Also, drilled rotors are NOT recommended on heavy vehicles due to the excess heat and stress out on them. I got the diamond slotted ones. Pics this weekend when they go on.

driver3
02/09/2004, 09:12 AM
That's almost a 1000 for just the rotors... are you really having that much trouble stopping now??? I can stop on a dime as they say.. a lot faster than most suvs anyway... is it mostly for racing or looks?

Daver
02/09/2004, 09:21 AM
I think my VX is pretty good at stopping. Now that I've been driving it exclusively for the last month.

When I was driving my car most of the time, in camparison it felt like the VX was never gonna stop.

"I've had better." :)

-Daver

joe-yamma
02/09/2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by driver3 That's almost a 1000 for just the rotors... are you really having that much trouble stopping now???

I think the prices on the website were for front PAIR and rear PAIR of rotors... I thought the same thing until I read over it again.

Joe

MrCrowley
02/09/2004, 04:09 PM
I think someone overseas awhile back had some pics of some sort of big brake kit. I think it was stainless steel lines, rotors, pads, and I thought calipers too, anyone else remember them

Eckstream
02/09/2004, 08:13 PM
I had x drilled rotors, EBC green stuff pads and goodridge stainless brake lines on my 95 Camaro z28 and there was a huge difference..... My stock setup would warp if I stepped on the brakes at 110mph.... Nice find... Power Stop slotted rotors can be found at your local A&A auto store.... Or maybe others can order them?

NC_VX
02/09/2004, 08:49 PM
Going back to Driver3's comments, I am also wondering what is the function for this set-up....

I have heard comments about VX's being acceptional 4x4 vehicles although they don't have lockers... So, being the smart guy I am (hehehe) I was assuming that lockers is some type of breaking system or somethign that locks the hubs.... If we can't have that, will this new breaking system increase my ability to stop on a dime when 4x4ing and know that my VX is going to hold on whatever angle or technical maneuver I am working on?

Thanks guys

Eckstream
02/10/2004, 05:40 AM
NC-VX.... Just the rotors wont help when 4x4n but stainless braided brake lines,pads,and rotors will help.... When you push hard to keep it from rollin down a hill your brake lines are probably expanding..... The rotors get rid of heat faster and are less prone to warp....

Joe_Black
02/10/2004, 06:39 AM
NC_VX, what "lockers" are is a manually controlled differential lock that makes both wheels get power. On 4X4 vehicles you can lock the front, rear or both diffs. ARB (http://www.arb.com.au/) makes one of the best units available for Isuzu. Very handy for serious off-roading as often the wheel with the least traction gets the power. Limited slip helps, but as the name indicates it's limited. Where limited slip really shines is on the street where it's most effective controlling wheel slip.

As Eckstream points out, you can do a great deal to improve your braking performance by upgrading the stock components.

driver3
02/10/2004, 04:46 PM
I see now, that makes a little more sense... I still think my brakes work really well now, but I'll have to see how much the stock ones are when I replace them. I'm at 63k and I still have the originals and they don't look that worn, maybe at the end of the summer...

Andrey
02/11/2004, 04:39 AM
TDAWG,

Please post picks and your impression after you install and test drive them I am interested. After I've upgraded tires I feel that it is HARDER to stop my VX. Proxes are much wider then stock tire and I feel that my rotors need to be upgraded. Not sure about calipers and lines though.....

Daver
02/11/2004, 10:56 AM
If your tires are wider (and have better traction?) stopping should be easier.

If your new tires (and wheels?) are much heavier, you'll definitely have a harder time stopping.

-Daver

Tone
02/11/2004, 06:19 PM
Correct rotors came in today - braided lines Friday and install over the weekend. Then a head to head stopping test against Lisa’s VX.

Dallas4u
02/11/2004, 11:11 PM
Lookin' good! Take many install pics!