PDA

View Full Version : CV Shaft removal?!

coachreed
02/03/2004, 08:47 AM
Just wondered if anyone here has any good word on removing CV shafts from the VX. I have taken the passenger side suspension apart... and have the shaft out of the hub and rotor... but does the shaft come apart from the axle somehow? I will start searching around for answers, but wanted to post the question REALLY quick in case I can't find the answer elsewhere. Thanks in advance. I'm trying to get my axle out so I can lower the housing to make room for the new motor. TTYL!

Triathlete
02/03/2004, 08:56 AM
You might try asking Grampa Bob or Swordy. I believe both have had to change there CVs (for other reasons though) and could probably answer your question.

coachreed
02/03/2004, 09:17 AM
Well IF anyone here has had to remove/replace CV shafts, feel free to drop me a line... I can be reached at 816-935-4986... I will be comfortably laying UNDER my VX... after refering to the VX CD Manual, I see how to rebuild the CV axle shafts, but I did NOT see how to remove the dang thing... from what I can tell... the CV should just slip/pop out of the axle housing... if you know... gimme a call... if you know someone who KNOWS have them gimme a call! lol I'll be back in a bit... Thanks!

Coach!

coachreed
02/03/2004, 09:54 AM
I called a buddy of mine who has a shop... he said MOST likely all that is holding the front drive (CV) shaft in is a "cir-clip" which I am familiar with... same thing holding my driveshaft into the transaxle of my '78 Super Beetle... anyway, I have tried using a large screwdriver to pry/pop the shaft out... the dang thing isn't coming... I have refered back to the CD Manual and STILL haven't found anything on front drive shaft removal... WHAT GIVES?! HELP! Geesh!

If ya gots any good input... PLEEEEEEEEEZE lemme know.

Later!

Randy

autox-racer
02/03/2004, 11:51 AM
I have no experience with removing the VX joints but on almost every front wheel drive car i have removed, i would take a large pry bar and a big arse hammer and knock the joint out of the splines.

It helps a lot if you can "pre-tension" the joint... that is pull it out so the clip is up against the splines inside the housing... that way when you persuade it with the hammer, the clip compresses and goes into the groove and becomes the same diameter as the splines... if that makes any sense. That is also how you remove the outside CV joint on almost every Japanese vehicle. Except you use a brass punch and a big arse hammer.

I would recommend before you use a hammer, make sure there is a “spring clip” holding it in place… if you can slide the axle splines in the housing and the splines move just a little bit then it probably does have a spring clip and one good hammer blow will knock it out.

good luck

VX922
02/03/2004, 12:23 PM
Coach
I will scan the service manual for u in next couple of days (check your P.M.)

The front arrangement is similar to Trooper. You need to disconnect balljoints.

VX922

WormGod
02/03/2004, 12:31 PM
Hate to say it, but autox-racer may be right. I saw mine when it was all torn down at the body shop. The entire left suspension was laid right out on front of me. It looked to me that it all just pryed away with a little "negotiating". Of course, that was just my observation. It works once again, so I imagine that is quite possible. Good luck.

coachreed
02/03/2004, 12:55 PM
OK guys, figured it out... with a little help from Spazz... in order to remove the CV joints completely from the axle housing, you have to removed the four bolts that hold the axle to the frame... that is actually the retainer for the axles... once those are unbolted, you have to basically pull them out through the completely disassembled suspension... the upper AND lower ball joints need to be split and then the whole hub/rotor assemble has to be pulled out of the way. From there, I think its a matter or patience and the axles will come out easily... I am on a break... I ran out of patience when I couldn't get the drivers side lower ball joint split. I don't like the idea of a pickle-fork cuz they usually tare the boots on the ball joints. soooo... its I guess its BFH time.

Thanks for the input guys... I really appreciate it.

TTYL!

Coach!

SGT.BATGUANO
02/03/2004, 06:21 PM
I know it's a little late, but I could've sworn that there was either a post or a link here that had a very good pictorial on disassembling the cv axle. I can't seem to find it now. I did a quick scan of the last 30 days of posts where I thought it would be. Maybe it's further back?

coachreed
02/03/2004, 08:07 PM
I found a REALLY good write-up on 4x4Wire's website on CV joint rebuild... but nothing on removing the axle or axle shafts from the housing. Not an easy task if you ask me. all in all, it wasn't a HARD thing... just very tedious... lots of things have to come apart to do the job.

TTYL!

Coach!