PDA

View Full Version : Infinity KAPPA PERFECT6.1

volume311
02/02/2004, 06:28 PM
What do you the sound gurus think of these?
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT6.1'&Ser
PS Dont say it, Im not payin 550 for them;pg;
~Mark

Dallas4u
02/02/2004, 11:35 PM
Kappa components are really nice. You made a good choice.

What amp are you using? What are you expecting out of this system?

I am slowing finding out that rears (mid-range, mid-bass, subs...) can put the whole sound system out of phase. I blew some Infinity Reference 6x9's a while ago, and finally decided to replace them with something. I have/had Reference 6.5" coaxials in front, which sounded pretty nice, but thought I needed something extra to fill the rear... maybe a little extra bass. I decided to build two little boxes to fit behind the cladding, and bought some 6.5" Vifa glass fiber cone mids (high-end home audio drivers) for them. After installing them in the back, I don't fell like it helps the audio much at all, if at all.

THIS (http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/phasing/phasing.htm) article about absolute phasing is a good ready, and makes a good point.

I have the Vifa's in, and swapped out my Infinity Reference in the front with some Crystal coaxials, just to try something new... and I think I like the Infinity's better. I'm thinking of buying some components and seeing if I like placing the tweeter in the stock position, and maybe even getting rid of the rears all together.

We'll see.. good luck!

volume311
02/03/2004, 07:36 AM
Im not sure about what amp Im going to use once the speakers do arrive. I just ordered them last night. The RMS wattage on them is 90watts, maxed at 400, so I will need a fairly decent amp to run that. I just read some where that all I need is an amp that will push a constant 35w for them, but I dont believe that this is right. I would like to get a JL audio amp 300/2 but anythin that will do the job is welcome. The two amps I have lying around are a Crunch 800, and a Rockwood 420. Nothing special.

I just took my sub-box with 2 12"s last week, nice to have a trunk again.

Very interesting article. The man suggests to eliminate rear speakers al together. I was wondering should I keep the rear stock Isuzu speakers or get a pair of lower Infinities 6.5 to fill the back too. Decisions decisions.

Dallas4u
02/03/2004, 08:20 AM
I think it's all about YOUR value in sound. I think he is pretty much right in his article, but he also states that you also need to direct the sound waves evenly towards your ears between both front speakers. That would mean sitting in the middle of the vehicle to get the perfect "stereo" experience. We know that this will never happen, so you have to try and do the best you can. In automobiles, that usually means using the stock locations or making your own.

I personally do not like kick panels. I think most of the ones I have seen, be it retail or custom, look like sores sticking out into the interior. But, that is probably one of the best ways to aim the speaker more at you rather than at your feet.

I am still looking for something I will just be happy with. I haven't decided what I want to do yet with what I have available. I like the Vifa's I have, and I have some others coming in. I'll probably use those for fronts, and find some tweets and crossovers for the front as well. As for the rears... I haven't decided. I don't like the current setup I have, but I'm not really sure what to do. I may just fab a mount out of MDF that will fit like the OEM mount, and not be closed in. The Vifa's are somewhat free air as they have a ciol breather (hole in the rear of the magnet). I would like some decent bass as well, but I don't want a box taking up any cargo room. Looking at the VX-04 brochure that Carl just posted gave me an idea to put a sub enclosure in where the jack currently sits... but the interior cladding may need to be modded for that to happen, and I'm not sure I want to cut up any stock items that show.

AlaskaVX
02/03/2004, 10:22 AM
I have been looking at speakers for a long time now and the 6.1's is what I was going to go with. Seems to be the best quality for the $

paultvx
02/04/2004, 02:49 AM
Kappas are said to have very rich mid range. Probably best speakers for the money. Came directly from their home speaker line.

I had 5.25 coax's in the rear of mine and 6.5 components in the front (diamond audio). It sounded fine. I don't think the rear speakers need to be fancy. They're just for fill. I usually set the fader to bias the fronts... to the point where I can just start to hear the rear and leave it like that. As for the sub, I usually set the cutoff so that it overlaps the rest of the system a little and then set the volume at the point where I can just start to notice it's there. Once you have the system dialed in like that, it sounds good with the volume around mid level and up.

volume311
02/04/2004, 07:46 AM
Interesting info.Well the speakers were shipped last night, should be here by the 10th. The shipping weight is something like 14lbs. I guess before I install them I should get all the dings pulled out of the door.
~Mark:)

Dallas4u
02/04/2004, 09:43 AM
Hey Paul!

Yes, Paul is right. Rears, if you want them back there, should just barely be heard. Subs give you foundation bass, so that is another consideration... but your rear speakers are just for fill.

I set up my amp by turning the gain all the way down, and any bass boost or whatever off. Then, turn your volume up to where you hear distortion in the speakers (which ever you are setting up... front or rear), then turn it down to 3/4. Now, turn the gain up to where you hear distortion, then back off a bit to where they sound clean.

I installed my Crystal CSX615's yesterday, and they are too large. I started routing the OEM speaker baffle just to get them in, and ended up gluing some weather stripping around it to seal the space between the speaker and the baffle. After installing them, the door cladding won't go on all the way by the speaker... and the bass rattles the cladding too much. They sound good, but they are just too large. I may sell them and go with something a bit smaller.