PDA

View Full Version : trasporint vehicross from one state to another...

SinMan
01/29/2004, 01:50 PM
Guys,

This is probably not a appropriate place to ask, but i'll ask anyway for help.

I am trying to buy a vehicross from another state and I am trying to find the cheapest and offertable way to transport a vehicle. Do you have any suggestions or ideas? Thanks a lot.

AlaskaVX
01/29/2004, 02:34 PM
Take a couple days off work bring a friend and drive it back! That was my cheapest option, and it was an awesome road trip from St. Louis to Anchorage. I think I had a grin the whole drive back :D with the couple exceptions on the Alaska Highway where I looked more like this-->:freek: Damn big rigs and snowstorms

Y33TREKker
01/29/2004, 02:37 PM
You might try asking some local towing companies for prices, or for referrals to actual auto transport companies. I don't know if there would be listings in the yellow pages for auto transporters in your area, but you might have a look, unless of course you know someone with a flatbed truck. Specific auto transport companies will probably have internet sites too.

Other options would be to get a one-way rental car, or plane ticket, to where the VX is currently located, then drive the VX back.

You'd probably just have to make a few calls to determine the least expensive way.

VXRaNgEr
01/29/2004, 03:08 PM
I took a bus ($50) to get mine. Interesting experience. Shipping a car can be as little as $400. From where to where?

videoboy
01/29/2004, 03:15 PM
i used DAS (dependable auto shippers) and shipped mine from oakland to nashville. went fine. took about 9 days. cost about 800 if i remember correctly.

stephen

Eckstream
01/29/2004, 03:24 PM
Transport can be expensive.... But safe and no extra miles. I used passport transport from philly to phoenix in an enclosed trailer for about $400. passporttransport (http://www.passporttransport.com)

Also try VIP Transport Inc. 1-888-428-5847

Weber Transports 1-580-772-5224

Platinum Auto Transport 1-877-315-2886

Hope this helps.......

AlaskaVX
01/29/2004, 03:44 PM
I don't believe that the transport companies are safe. My neighbor had his street bike crated and shipped up to AK. When it got here we noticed that it had been layed over before it was put in the crate and then when they where securing it in the crate they cranked the straps so tight that it cracked 1 of the plastics and put a mark on his $600 CF exhaust, and a rub mark on his seat. He went to get it resolved and all the company ended up paying for was the plastic however I still can't believe how much that piece of plastic with some stickers on it costed, something like $700 ;eekp; must have taken a lot of engineers to make that :rolleyes:

Simon Templar
01/29/2004, 04:41 PM
First and most important...fill the tank as full as is possible.

Second....drive like hell! Do not pay any attention to those flashing lights in the rearview mirror. As we all know...what's behind you is not important! :mbrasd:

...sT

Joe_Black
01/29/2004, 06:17 PM
First off, congratulations on getting a VX! I've bought and sold a number of out-of-state vehicles through eBay and have consequently shipped several. Expect to pay a minimum of about $450 through most reputable shippers. When I bought my first VX in November of '02, I flew one-way to Chicago and drove home to Florida. I left on Friday after work and was home by 5PM Sunday. Total trip cost: $350. The IronMan I just got on eBay was in Houston so another trip was in order. Flew out one-way to Houston on Saturday and was home Sunday evening after some nice visits with friends in Tallahassee and Gainesville along the way. Total trip cost: $250. Got both airline tickets through Yahoo! Travel and paid $100 give-or-take each time. Even got a promo 1st-class upgrade the first trip!

Both times I had a great trip, had a lot of time to myself and the VX and also saw some of the country I'd never been through before. So, if you've got one weekend to spare (provided the distance is within 1500 miles) take a trip!;Do;