PDA

View Full Version : Fire extinguisher?

totallto
01/29/2004, 07:26 AM
Where do mount my fire extinguisher in the VX?
You folks have any ideas?

VX_PA
01/29/2004, 07:30 AM
Mount it on the passenger side front pillar. Easy access and a cool mod.;)

WormGod
01/29/2004, 08:03 AM
Not to knock what VX_PA replied with, but I prefer to have mine mounted in the back. I think ricers have dominated the "a pillar mounting" option, and I would hate for folks to think you were jumping on that bandwagon. ;)

carlymac
01/29/2004, 08:14 AM
I have my extingusher mounted in the cargo area on the left (drivers side) above the jack compartment. It's outta the way and looks cool. I'll post a pic this evening.

VX_PA
01/29/2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by WormGod
Not to knock what VX_PA replied with, but I prefer to have mine mounted in the back. I think ricers have dominated the "a pillar mounting" option, and I would hate for folks to think you were jumping on that bandwagon. ;)

"A piller mounting" was actually started at the tracks by drag racers and then adopted by the so-called "ricers". So the only bandwagon that would be jumped on would be the racing band wagon. "Ricers" only use it to make it look like they have a real car. We have no worries about that because what we have is for real and it's not a car.

XCross69
01/29/2004, 08:42 AM
What about mount-n one at the back of the console? You know, where that ash tray is for people who sit in the back seat and smoke? Not sure if it would work or not, just an idea.....its not like anyone can get in the back seat to smoke anyway!

Couldn't be a very big one but it would be at a great location, in the center of the VX....easy access for everyone!

Just a thought.....

Maverick
01/29/2004, 10:31 AM
Ive been considering the same problem, I want the extinguisher to be readily accessable from the drivers or passengers seat, but not get in the way of things.
So far the "spots" if considered are the passenger side kick panel, the back of the passenger seat (either mounted directly to it , or with an under seat bracket) , and lastly on the rear seat kick panel on the drivers side...
As for using underseat brackets, ill have to look and see if that will interfere with the operation of the seats. i may just end up getting another small extinguisher and mount one on each side somehow. so those are my ideas so far...

side note: you never know what can happen.... i hope everyone has at least one extinguisher in all their vehicles , the only thing worse than being on fire is watching someone else on fire..either way, a $15.00 investment can save lives, and allot of pain....

WormGod
01/29/2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by VX_PA
"A piller mounting" was actually started at the tracks by drag racers and then adopted by the so-called "ricers". So the only bandwagon that would be jumped on would be the racing band wagon. "Ricers" only use it to make it look like they have a real car. We have no worries about that because what we have is for real and it's not a car.

Ya, information known, just wanted to share a possible criticism that he may be confronted with later on down the road. I know I would hate if someone said my VX was ricey looking. Them's fightin' w3rds. ;)

Back in about 92, I had an extinguisher mounted on the a pillar in my 89 Z24 and it got all kinds of good feedback (it wasnt used for looks, but whatever works). The thing is, now, with times having changed, seeing a Neon or a Civic with that stuff just sorta gets me chuckling. Especially since at any auto accessory store you can buy fake ones just to stick up there. *sigh*

VX_PA
01/29/2004, 12:01 PM
Yeah, a fake fire extinguisher. What they don't realize is that their getting charged as much if not more for a fake one instead of buying the real thing. Can you imagine someone coming to rescue you, seeing the fake extinguisher, then grabbing to find that it doesn't work. That's real bright. Hey whatever floats your boat, right?

totallto
01/29/2004, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I was looking at the chrom FE but the f#*king thing cost $54.00. Yeah right! So I went to lowes and got a bigger one for $9.95! And it's my favorite color-- RED!

Thanks yall for the ideas, I tell ya what I come up with.
I like it to be somewhere I can grab from the driver's seat.

AJ

carlymac
01/29/2004, 03:21 PM
here's the pic of the fire extinguisher in my VX

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/167fire_extinguisher-med.jpg

Hotsauce
01/29/2004, 03:28 PM
I carry a small halon extinguisher. Expensive, but I wouldn't want my engine sprayed with dry powder. that stuff fuses when it hits any hot surface, and will ruin anything it comes in contact with. go halon, or CO2.

John C.

TDAWG
01/29/2004, 08:36 PM
I got mine in the conpartment with my tire iron. I didn't have to screw it in or anything. I got a pic in my gallery of it. I pick it up at Walmart in the RV section for like 20 beans.