PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Inside!

coachreed
01/28/2004, 02:08 PM
Well, I've been tinkering again today... and am getting closer to seeing the light at end of the tunnel... I found that the F-body location for the alternator won't work, so I have to relocate it.. no big deal... I went ahead and pulled the A/C compressor too... I think I'll pull the power steering pump and try to adapt the stocker onto the LS1 block. Also, I had thought in the beginning that the front axle might have to be lowered to make some space. This isn't such a bad idea anyway since I have cranked my torsion bars and need to straighten things out anyway. I figure if I lower the axle the 2-3" I should be GOLDEN! Things are tight, but I knew that in the beginning... all in all though, I think its comeing along pretty well. Check out the link below... hope it works!

LS1 Inside! (http://community.webshots.com/album/114543025idgovH?12)

So, still tihnk it WON'T fit? Tight yes... but it WILL fit! ;Db; ;pb;

TTYL!

WormGod
01/28/2004, 02:19 PM
Damn bro, you got more determination than anyone I know, heh. Keep up the work. You are one inspiring person. :)

coachreed
01/29/2004, 06:52 AM
I have no choice but to be determined... I have ripped out all support for the stock motor... and have NO plan to put it back in. At the same time, I am making payments on my VX... so the show must go on!

Back to work!

Coach

VX_PA
01/29/2004, 07:05 AM
Coach,

You need to come up with a good name for your project like they do on the gearhead shows. For example "Trucks" project "Copperhead" or "Hot Rod TV" project "Nightmare".

You or some other members should come up with some project names for your VX transformation and then we post a poll to vote on the best one.

Just for some fun??

Bantan
01/29/2004, 07:18 AM
Coach,
I wish you were the mechanic at my Isuzu dealer.
How bout I have them holla at ya for some coaching!!!

WormGod
01/29/2004, 07:48 AM
Coachreed presents, "VX Monster Garage"!

You da' monsta!

:evil:

Joe_Black
01/29/2004, 09:09 AM
You're doing a helluva job. Can't wait to hear how it handles all that weight up front. Much success!

migil
01/29/2004, 12:36 PM
It's a shame nobody is filming the whole process. It would be an invaluable "How to" resource not only for the VX/Isuzu community, but for any person with the guts required for such a challenging project. Plus maybe you could've lured some sponsoring... :rolleyes:

Anita
01/29/2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by coachreed

So, still tihnk it WON'T fit? Tight yes... but it WILL fit! ;Db; ;pb;

TTYL!

That be TIGHT... :bgwb:

Cyrk
01/29/2004, 01:29 PM
Sweet! Keep up the motivation!

VX_PA
01/29/2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Anita

Project Shoehorn!!

Whatta ya think Coach??:cool:

Y33TREKker
01/29/2004, 02:43 PM
You'll have to change your screen name to Dr. Frānkensteen when this is all over. :D

coachreed
01/30/2004, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by VX_PA
You need to come up with a good name for your project like they do on the gearhead shows. For example "Trucks" project "Copperhead" or "Hot Rod TV" project "Nightmare".

You or some other members should come up with some project names for your VX transformation and then we post a poll to vote on the best one.

Just for some fun??

Sounds like a great idea... we should start a new thread for that one... look for that too happen sometime today.

Originally posted by Bantan
I wish you were the mechanic at my Isuzu dealer.
How bout I have them holla at ya for some coaching!!!

Heck, IF I were a mechanic at a dealership it would have been covered under warranty and THIS would NOT be happening quite like this! lmao!

Originally posted by WormGod
Coachreed presents, "VX Monster Garage"!

You da' monsta!

:evil:

I've been told that before! ;Db;

Originally posted by migil
It's a shame nobody is filming the whole process. It would be an invaluable "How to" resource not only for the VX/Isuzu community, but for any person with the guts required for such a challenging project. Plus maybe you could've lured some sponsoring... :rolleyes:

I always have big plans to document when I do crazy stuff... but I get soooo caught up in the moment that I often forget I even have a camera... then sometimes like this time, my camera quits mid-stride and I miss a few steps. Oh well... maybe next time... once I get'r done, and someone wants to do the job... we can cooirdinate a little stay at the "VX Monster Garage"... aka Randy's Place...

Originally posted by Anita

Uhhhhh... no comment! ;Db; ;pb;

Originally posted by Cyrk
Sweet! Keep up the motivation!

Well, maybe if someone here could call my boss and tell him I'm sick, I could get more done... then again, he lives TOO close to me and KNOWS I'm never sick... I'll keep going though!

Project Shoehorn!!

Whatta ya think Coach??:cool:

Sounds like a decent name... post it to the thread later... I'll start the thread later today... almost outta time this morning... gotta get Little Man to school and myself to work...

Originally posted by Y33TREKker
You'll have to change your screen name to Dr. Frānkensteen when this is all over. :D

I'd get all confused and forget who I really am... wait... I already have that problem...

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am!) ;)

AlaskaVX
01/30/2004, 11:36 AM
I hope you take it out to the track and see what you run the 1/4 mile in. I'm just going to take a guess at a 14.2 at 95 mph? that would be sweeeet.

SPAZZ
01/30/2004, 11:38 AM
it would do better than that.

AlaskaVX
01/30/2004, 11:50 AM
I thought a supercharger would do better than a 16.0 sec. 1/4. And if I'm running around 275hp we'll see, should be interesting. I don't think a VX will pull a 13 unless he uses a turbocharger. Who knows its never been done? :confused:

coachreed
01/30/2004, 08:40 PM
This motor (LS1) is good for around 345 or so crank hp... 300+ rwhp... in an otherwise stock trans am, convertible... weighing in at slightly more than the VX... mid 13's are not hard to overcome... of course, I will have to do a little more overcoming of the wind... but will have less weight to push... it should prove to be intersting. BTW AlaskaVX... have you dyno'd? Just curious what kind of turque rating you have with that 275hp... the LS1 is up around the 350lbs of torque and that is available at around 2000 rpm's... probably quite a bit more than the 3.5 with SC... but I could be wrong. I'll definitely take it to the track though. Once its running... I have to come up with money to get LS1Edit... tuning program... cost is $450 for unlimited vehicle lifetime tuning at one of our local shops... they can adjust EVERYTHING in the PCM... heck, once my gauges are working right (hopefully someday), I can have them calibrate my speedo and everything... I change tires, they can plug in and fix it! No, its not cheap, but in the long run, if I plan to keep it... its well worth it.

TTYL!

MZ-N10
01/30/2004, 09:06 PM
i was just wondering..how much boost is the sc? 5psi?
________
Live Sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Daver
01/31/2004, 05:07 AM
The Trans-Am convertible weighs about 3500 lbs. The VX weighs 3950 stock.

-Daver

coachreed
01/31/2004, 05:55 AM
Daver-
Ok, I just checked stock curb weight of the covertible trans am... 3623... mine weighed in at just under 4000 with all the SFC's, STB, and stereo system... guess I'm used to being scewed by my habits! lol OK, so the VX WITH the LS1 in it, will weight JUST slightly more than MY trans am Covertibles I have had (all four of them!) Anyway, my bad... still... comparable weight.

Later!

Coach

Dallas4u
02/04/2004, 09:54 AM
Randy (or anyone), did you catch Rides lastnight on TLC? It made me think of this project... they took the motor and driveline from a Lexus GS430 (4.3L V8) and threw it into an IS300. They also took a manual tranny from a Supra and threw it in there as well. It had around 315 - 320hp, and they showed it off at SEMA.

Anyway, not exactly what you are doing, but it reminded me of this thread.

VX922
02/04/2004, 11:55 AM
I have to come up with money to get LS1Edit... tuning program... cost is $450

Coach!
There are varieties of OBDII scan packages for Handheld, laptop or Palmpilot. The cost is nowhere near $450 and if you are good at soldering u can make your own cable for OBDII. I made my own ALDL type of cable for my L98 and use shareware scan software.
Most of them have read/write acess to about 2-3 hundred codes and registers (VX has couple hundered so does F-body).
Remember now u become half F-body by this transplant. I am member of Corvetteforum (follow link) and the forum is very resoucefull for electronic tunning.
Only LS1 in Corvette is 345HP any other car power is slightly derated mostly becose exhaust, cam and ECM. Hey this might be a good time to drop in a cam that will fit your application.

OBDII (http://www.obdii.com/)

Corvetteforum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=91)

coachreed
02/04/2004, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I might check into other programs... but the price I mentioned is from a speed shop local to me... for $450 they do ALL of the tuning... they have the experience and THEY have the dyno if I need to do any runs... as long as I own the vehicle, they would do the work for me... yeah, its a hit up front, but it might be worth it since THEY know the code... then again... yeah, I am good at soldering, I am typcially a wiz at computers... oh and I will have a full blown PC built into the vx shortly after my motor work is done... so I can have it running at ALL times! ;Db; ;pb; Now THAT sounds like a kewl deal.

Memo to me: research OBDII programs!

TTYL!

Coach

VX922
02/05/2004, 06:14 AM
Coach!
That shop will do dothing for u that you could not do yourself.
Besides u are the driver of your VX and you can tweak it to your liking.

VX922

coachreed
02/05/2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by VX922
Coach!
That shop will do dothing for u that you could not do yourself.
Besides u are the driver of your VX and you can tweak it to your liking.

VX922

The more I think about it, the more appealing the OBDII package from AutoTap sounds... I like the idea of being in control of my engine management... AND I am installinga comlete PC in the VX after this is done... so I could take adavantage of that and have it available ALL the time... I wonder if it would be ok to have the ECU hooked to the PC at ALL times? SOunds kinda fun... and the "virtual dashboard" on EFILive looks kewl too... could be my gauges since some of mine may take some time to get working again.

Gear's are a'turnin... watch for smoke outta ears!

TTYL!

Coach

VX922
02/06/2004, 06:51 AM
Gear's are a'turnin... watch for smoke outta ears!

Way to go Coach!

Size of the factory manual scan in pdf format is 494MB, what do you want to do?

VX922

This is what the manual covers: [PAGES]
content [66]
0A-General information [18]
0B-maintenance and lubrication [12]
1A-HVAC system [112]
2A-Steering [94]
3C-front suspention [36]
3D-rear suspention [20]
3E-wheel and tire system [10]
4A1-differential (front) [40]
4A2-differential (rear) [48]
4B2-driveline control system (TOD) [66]
4C-drive shaft system [34]
4D2-transfer case (TOD) [54]
5A-brake control system [52]
5B-anti-lock system [8]
5C-power-assisted brake system [68]
5D-parking brake system [10]
6A-engine mechanical [138]
6B-engine cooling [18]
6C-engine fuel [16]
6D1-engine electrical [6]
6D2-ignition system [8]
6D3-starting and charging system [34]
6E-6VE1 3.5L engine driveability and emission [595]
6F-engine exhaust [8]
6G-engine lubrication [20]
6H-engine speed control [4]
6J-induction [2]
7A-automatic transmission (4L30-E) [144]
7A1-transmission control system (4L30-E) [116]
8A-body and accessories [22]
8B-wiper/washer system [6]
8C-entertainment [6]
8D-wiring system [44]
8E-meter and gauge [16]
8F-body structure [64]
8G-seats [8]
8H-security and locks [12]
8J-exterior/interior trim [28]
9A-seat belt system [12]
9J-supplemental restrain system [62]
9J1 SRS control system [56]
10A-cruise control [6]

Tone
02/06/2004, 06:57 AM
I'd pay for a copy of that on CD and be willing to host it for download as well if you like.

Dallas4u
02/06/2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by coachreed
... AND I am installinga comlete PC in the VX after this is done...

Randy, take a look at this place

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/

I have seen their little, tiny PC's for years... ever since the original Cappuccino PC came out. It wasn't a serious gaming or graphics solution, but they were trying to hit businesses who needed small workstations that could handle the needs of every day business. These things are pretty cool...

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/Media/images/pocket_pc_full.gif

Check out their page for all of the PC's they make... and they make quite a few.

coachreed
02/06/2004, 09:00 AM
This is what the manual covers: [PAGES]
content [66]
0A-General information [18]
0B-maintenance and lubrication [12]
1A-HVAC system [112]
2A-Steering [94]
3C-front suspention [36]
3D-rear suspention [20]
3E-wheel and tire system [10]
4A1-differential (front) [40]
4A2-differential (rear) [48]
4B2-driveline control system (TOD) [66]
4C-drive shaft system [34]
4D2-transfer case (TOD) [54]
5A-brake control system [52]
5B-anti-lock system [8]
5C-power-assisted brake system [68]
5D-parking brake system [10]
6A-engine mechanical [138]
6B-engine cooling [18]
6C-engine fuel [16]
6D1-engine electrical [6]
6D2-ignition system [8]
6D3-starting and charging system [34]
6E-6VE1 3.5L engine driveability and emission [595]
6F-engine exhaust [8]
6G-engine lubrication [20]
6H-engine speed control [4]
6J-induction [2]
7A-automatic transmission (4L30-E) [144]
7A1-transmission control system (4L30-E) [116]
8A-body and accessories [22]
8B-wiper/washer system [6]
8C-entertainment [6]
8D-wiring system [44]
8E-meter and gauge [16]
8F-body structure [64]
8G-seats [8]
8H-security and locks [12]
8J-exterior/interior trim [28]
9A-seat belt system [12]
9J-supplemental restrain system [62]
9J1 SRS control system [56]
10A-cruise control [6]

HOLY CRAPOLA! Thats a lotta pages! How the heck did you do that?! I don't guess you have a way to host it, do you? That would be a GREAT thing to have... EVERY bit of it even though I only have HALF a VX! lol If you have a way to host it, I'd love to DL the whole thing... you let ME know whats best for YOU! Tone's offer sounds like a good one though... let him host it... for now though, I'll take anything that has general wire color coding... lemme know.

TTYL!

Coach!

johnnyapollo
02/06/2004, 09:30 AM
Have you confirmed that it's not the same as the CD manual?

-- John

coachreed
02/06/2004, 09:46 AM
Dallas4u-

I actually already have my computer system... was supposed to be installed by now but this little motor swap kinda pushed things back... I have the following thus far...

Epia Mini-ITX M10000 Nehimiah mainboard, 1GHz processor
120 Gig HDD
3.5" Floppy Drive
Audigy 2 Platinum sound board, 5.1/6.1/7.1, DVD Audio, EAX HD, DTS ES, Dolby Digital EX, THX Certified
256Meg RAM
XM PCR (XM satelite radio receiver)
7" touch screen monitor
(2) Alpine 6.5" monitors
Interface for NOL (Nextel Online)
Possibly going to add another PC later for independant use of media and AutoTap
GPS Navigation

I had looked at the Cappucino machines and they are really nice, but I can build it for cheaper and have more... Once the LS1 is running... I'll be working on some rewiring during my slow days at work... and I will be building my system.

TTYL!

VX_PA
02/06/2004, 10:31 AM
Coach,

That is going to be SuperVX. It'll be crazy fast, and all Hi-tech inside. Now if you can figure out how to make it fly and go under water, then you'd blow away the world!!:D

coachreed
02/06/2004, 01:15 PM
...Now if you can figure out how to make it fly and go under water, then you'd blow away the world!!:D

I'm working on the flying part next... I'll let you know when that mod's ready! ;pb; ;Db; Yeah, I figured since its already gone from stock... and I'm gonna keep it forever... I might as well personalize it the best I can. Who knows whats next.

TTYL!

Randy!

VX_PA
02/06/2004, 01:32 PM
You could always get one of those propeller hitch inserts so it would look like it goes in the water?? LOL ;)

VX922
02/06/2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Tone
I'd pay for a copy of that on CD and be willing to host it for download as well if you like.

Tone!
It is good idea but I would be careful about Isuzu's copyrights, if I remember right Isuzu had an issue with Itog over some proprietary information or naming some years back.

Further, this service manual consists of 3 thick binders and it is Isuzu factory manual which has 2,199 pages and is organized in section as I listed already, please confirm that it is not the same service manual that you are publishing already (I have not seen your manual)

Making this publication public domain would somewhat compensate for poor customer service record of Isuzu.

VX922

coachreed
02/06/2004, 03:29 PM
Making this publication public domain would somewhat compensate for poor customer service record of Isuzu.

;Db; Sounds fair to me! I'm not exactly happy with the way things went at my dealer... then again, if it weren't for that, we wouldn't be having this conversation... and I wouldn't be breaking down walls and putting the LS1 in... at least not RIGHT NOW! BTW VX922... you have PM!

TTYL!

Randy

WyrreJ
02/06/2004, 06:31 PM
I am no lawyer, but I can say that Isuzu could make trouble if you put it up for public download. But a couple of simple precautions would practically eliminate the chance of Isuzu even caring:

1) Don't publically advertise its availability.

2) Restrict access so that joe web-user can't even access the page that has the link to download it from.

If possible, a reasonable way to restrict access would be to require logging in here at vehicross.info with a valid account in order to get access.

coachreed
02/06/2004, 07:02 PM
Also, find a way to weed out people who register JUST to get the info... they have to be a qualifying, viable, productive member to access it! lol People would come out of the wood work for that... just watch the hit counts climb!

Later!

Coach!

WyrreJ
02/06/2004, 07:44 PM
Yeah, see #1.

Plus, since it is VX specific, I doubt that it is much interest to more than, at most, a couple of hundred people at most.

VX922
02/06/2004, 09:02 PM
thx WyrreJ!
It looks viable
VX 922