PDA

View Full Version : Transmission rebuild?

coachreed
01/27/2004, 02:37 PM
Just curious if anyone here has ever rebuilt an automatic transmission. I need to change the output shaft from my 4L60E transmission to a 4x4 output shaft. I have done SOME research and found that the swap doesn't require any subassemblies to be taken apart to do the swap. Of course, this would be the FIRST time I have ever taken a transmission apart and wanted to see if anyone had any experience or input on this. I have checked around to find that for a transmission shop to do the work, including a gasket kit but NOT the output shaft, the price is gonna be around $250. This is without any rebuilding of anything else... just the output shaft swap. I'm considering doing it myself... maybe even if I have to buy a manual for the thing ($20-$30). Whatayathink?!

TTYL!

skunkworks
01/27/2004, 04:43 PM
Have not done it with one of those but have put 4x4 outputs in Turbo 350 and 400's. Almost all autos I have seen came apart from the front and the output shaft is the about the last thing in or out.
________
vaporizer review (http://vaporizer.org/)

coachreed
01/27/2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by skunkworks
Have not done it with one of those but have put 4x4 outputs in Turbo 350 and 400's. Almost all autos I have seen came apart from the front and the output shaft is the about the last thing in or out.

From your experience with OTHER trannies, if you weren't rebuilding separate sub-assmeblies... was the the swap of output shaft fairly easy? I am highly mechanically inclined (otherwise I wouldn't be attempting my V8 conversion). If its fairly easy, I may jus take it apart slowly and be careful to note anything done along the way. anything to watch out for? Any special tools needed on the OTHERs you have done? Lemme know if you don't mind. Thanks!

TTYL!

Coach!

rocket man
01/28/2004, 01:06 AM
Hi Coach...

I owned a transmission shop out here in Calif. for many years...but that was in the 70's. No I don't know how to rebuild a transmission..I just owned the shop(Aamco).

But this I know, "Skunkworks" is right..unless some drastic changes have been made in transmission construction since my time...from front to back it pretty much goes like torque converter to input shaft to the front drum to planetary carrier to output shaft. With a front pump, valve body, a governor, a modulater, a couple of clutch packs and a band or two mixed in.

Been reading your stuff on your conversion but I must have missed some threads. Seems like a daunting task but the results could be quite rewarding. I had a 1969 Toyota Landcrusier a few years back that sort of became a "project" car around here. I put a v-8 Chevy engine in it. You might try calling "Advance Adapters, in Paso Robles, Ca. They can fabricate anything. In my case they make an output shaft to hook up from the Muncie(Chevy) 4 spd to the stock Toyota transfer case. And it worked perfectamundo. Embarassingly I haven't even looked under my car to see what is what...I have that 120K mile warranty and figure I will learn the cars mechanical workings at say???? 119K....When I sold the shop in 1979...I since try to avoid getting all greasy. If you decide to do it yourself. you should get a rebuild kit anyway. Your going to pass by all the clutches, "o" rings, bushings and do hickeys. And the rebuild kit also has all the gaskets. Stay away from the valve body, just take it off and set it aside. and everyhing on the inside should be super clean. If there is any evidence of varnish(brown coating on the component parts or when you drop the oil pan) Just take it and save yourself time and headaches and have it rebuilt at a specialty shop. Anyways if you can get it for $250 thats a for real steal....a word of caution watch for the "bait and switch" scam done at many repairs shops.

Oh and I got those Grappler's 285x60x18 last week..on your advice...Thanks Randy they were everything you said they were maybe mo!.

John

coachreed
01/28/2004, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the in-depth reply Rocket Man! I talked to a friend last night and was told that with TLC and plenty of patience, I can do this job myself... not sure, but I THINK I can do the patience part... TLC? Does that mean I have to be nice if something doesn't just "slip" in or out? ;pb; The $250 price was just to crack the tranny open, change the output shaft and put a new gasket kit in. I am certain that if I was going for a complete rebuild it would cost much more. If he would completely rebuild it for that... I wouldn't even thing twice! Advance adaptors was one of my first stops on looking for the parts I needed. They basically told me that they couldnt help me. Rob (@adavanceadaptors.com) only suggested that I might be able to have an intermediate plate machined to adapt the stock VX adaptor plate to the 4L60E transmission. I am going to check with Chevrolet though first... the Colorado has a 4L60E transmission from what I understand... and the T-Case in there is under the name "Isuzu T150" and it looks suspiciously like the TOD unit. Maybe with some luck, the adaptor plate on that setup will work for me.

BTW, you got the Terra Grapplers?! I have heard all kinds of people complain that they couldn't get them... where did you get them from? Thats awsome! I'm glad you like them.

TTYL!

Coach!

rocket man
01/28/2004, 11:36 AM
Your welcome Coachreed,

The more I read the more I piece together the story here. As I understand, this 4L60E is the transmission out of a Chev. 4X4, I think? In my day, Chevy and most of GM were, Powerglide, T300, T350, T400, with a mixing of odd ball stuff roto 5's roto 10's Turboglide, and a few Turbo 425's. Never heard of this tranny. Hey you ever think about adapting a stick? Those bugger's you KNOW will work when you install it from the get go..cause you can statically test it on the bench..the principals behind an automatic is it operates off oil pressure created by the front pump and through a series of springs and valves directs that oil pressure throught the valve body. There are sealing rings all over the place, some rubber, some metal and some nylon. These are very suseptable to damage when you dismantle the transmission so I consider it very unwise to not repalce these when you reassemble, use plenty of bearing grease on re-assembly. You might consider a couple assorted sizes of snap ring pliers if you don't have them. Of course, were talking ancient history as I have been out of the loop for so long I may be talking bovine scatology here.

I also gather that there is a lot of similiarity between the vx transmission and the Chev. Is that true?

What about an adapter plate to mate the stock bellhousing and tranny to the back of the Chev block you would need to modify the ring gear/flex plate and an adapter plate to compensate for the extra length. An "ingeniousicle" machinist may help you out in a one of a kind prototype. In my day while the transmissions such as the T 300 and T400 looked similar however the bell housing bolt patterns were different so you couldn't i.e. take a T-400 out of a Cadillac and install it in a Pontiac the bolt patterns were different. The adapter would enable you to do that. Ha Ha ....all this sage advice form a guy from someone who hasn't even looked underneath his own VX...slap my face!!

AREA 51
01/28/2004, 01:20 PM
The 4l60e is a modern, electronically controlled version of the old th-400.

coachreed
01/28/2004, 01:49 PM
Actually, the 4L60E is an electronically controlled, advanced version of the THM700R4 which is a NOT-electronically controlled advanced version of the THM400. I'm sure that they are pretty similar inside... well... still not to that point... found new stuff that needs to be done.

TTYL!

Coach!

VX922
01/30/2004, 11:57 AM
Coach
If you can wait couple of days when I'll get back to my garage I'll scan AT section of the user manual and Email it to you. It is full of details.
Have you consider to change gears to taller ratio?

coachreed
01/30/2004, 08:33 PM
VX922-
Which manual are you talking about? A manual specifically for the 4L60E? If so, that would be awsome... if your talking about the VX CD manual... got that... but not much help. As for gears... are you talking about axles? Or are you talking about changing some kind of gearing in the tranny? Taller? I'd rather keep them gears the same or go shorter... lower gearing... I'm gonna have PLENTY of power and torque to do the work... might as well let it go to work for me... heck... I might be able to break into the 20's on the gas mileage when I'm done... heck all of my LS1, convertible WS6's go nearly 20mph in the city... mid to high 20's highway... and they weigh more than the VX... sooo... gearing smearing...

Again, if you have manuals that you can scan... I'd appreciate it... lemme know.

TTYL!

Coach!

Daver
01/31/2004, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by coachreed
heck all of my LS1, convertible WS6's go nearly 20mph in the city... mid to high 20's highway... and they weigh more than the VX... sooo... gearing smearing...

Eh. That's no big thing. My VX can do 20mph no problem!
I guess next time a WS6 wants to race I should really consider giving it a go.

Sorry Coach. Had to do it. :cool:

-Daver

VX922
01/31/2004, 01:09 PM
Coach
The manual I have is a full 3 volume set VX service manual that I requested from the dealer as a condition of the VX purchase in 1999.
If I remember correctly it has tranny section that goes into details. I will try to scan and PDF it early next week and email it to you.

VX922

coachreed
01/31/2004, 05:08 PM
Kick @$$! I look forward to seeing that! Thanks!

Daver!
THANKS SMART@$$! ;pb; Do as I mean, not as I do... or soemthing like that.

Later!

Coach

WyrreJ
01/31/2004, 05:22 PM
If you are going to make the HUGE effort of PDF'ing the entire set, then please upload it to the files section here too. I know plenty of people would be enormously grateful.

skunkworks
01/31/2004, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I got over 20 in town and 29 on the highway with my T/A, but it was only taching 1700 at 80mph
________
Honda CB360 specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CB360)

VX922
02/01/2004, 08:10 AM
Thats right Sunkworks. VX revs at 2,250rpm @62mph and it does not need to be so high. With a V8 implant and right camshaft 1,800 rpm @ 62mph might be adequate.