PDA

View Full Version : Question: Dual-exhaust

Apostle
01/24/2004, 09:34 PM
those of you who have tru dual, as in 3 cyl in one, 3 in another, who did the work?

can the muffler places do that sort of thing or just add an extra pipe on the passenger side so it looks dual?

Hotsauce
01/25/2004, 06:09 AM
all the VX dual I have seen are split after the Y cat pipe.

John C.

XCross69
01/25/2004, 08:33 AM
I had Custom Muffler do the work for me. Before I had them do it I talked to the "exhaust" guy several times before I decided on them. He did an awsome job and I think he was more proud to say he did the exhaust on a VX! I do have a true dual, there is a pipe run-n on the passenger side(3 cyl), and one run-n on the driver side (3cyl). They are not connected anywhere though I think Tone said once that they should have a cross-over or some connection at some point, though I am not sure why? (Help me out there Tone?) Only trouble I have is a little vibratioin at certain speeds and I am not sure what, if anything, can be done about that!

Oh yeah, I also have the mufflers at the end of the pipe and not up under it.

VXRaNgEr
01/25/2004, 09:04 AM
X-

Yeah, with a true dual you should always have an H-pipe (or better yet an X-pipe) running between the two pipes. It equalizes the pressure coming out of each bank of cyclinders, which leads to better response/more torque and less vibration. Questions:

1) How much did they charge you?
2) Have you had it dyno'd?

johnnyapollo
01/25/2004, 10:02 AM
Wondering what was done about the cats? Also, do you have to get an emissions sticker?

-- John

XCross69
01/25/2004, 05:22 PM
The cats weren't touched...because of that no emission sticker should be needed correct?? As far as being Dyno-d, nope haven't done that. As for the price it ran a little over $400.00...keep in mind the mufflers alone were like $115 each.

So you guys think I need to go and have them do an "H" pipe done on it? And where should this be placed?

vx69
01/25/2004, 08:32 PM
It might depend on the state, In TX where I live an emission test on the VX consists of pluging in to the OBD II port and checking the exaust there. I have true duals as well, I am going to go back and put an H pipe as well. I love them, I have flowmasters on it right now, and they may be to loud for some but I love it! Oh by the way Apostle you may want to check with your local emissions inspection station. I used to live in denver, and make trips there frequently, about 3-4 times per year. I have been pulled over by colorado PD at least 4 times telling me that it is illegal to modify your stock exhaust system. I don't know if it is true because they never gave me a ticket, just a warning, so I thought you might want to know.

VXRaNgEr
01/26/2004, 01:41 PM
If the cats (are there 2?) weren't touched then your emissions level hasn't changed....just get an updated sticker to keep The Man happy. Here's a good debate about H-Pipe vs. X-Pipe:

http://ubb.mustangexhaust.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000002#000000

If I had any $$, I'd go with the X.:thumbup:

coachreed
01/26/2004, 03:04 PM
Out of curiosity, did you notice a loss of low end torque? I know that the only REAL way to know this is with dyno before AND after the mod... basically, motors depend on some back pressure for low end torque... but don't like back pressure for high end horsepower. Once my conversion is done though, I will treat my beast to a complete dual exhaust system... not sure about the H- or X-pipe though... its gonna depend on how much time we have in the exhaust shop as I have a friend who is planning on opening the shop up for me one evening... if things go smoothly it'll get an H-pipe...

Later!

Dallas4u
01/26/2004, 03:30 PM
Randy,

The LS1 is going to react differently to the dual exhaust than our 3.5L V6. I would guess you wouldn't have much of a loss of anything going to duals on the V8.

coachreed
01/26/2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Randy,

The LS1 is going to react differently to the dual exhaust than our 3.5L V6. I would guess you wouldn't have much of a loss of anything going to duals on the V8.

Oh yeah, I know this! lol I was actually referring to the loss of torque with smaller motors... especially ones that don't have a ton of torque to start with... I did an exhaust system on my baretta GT... lost ALL kinds of low end... but damn it ran good up high!

Anyway... TTFN!

Randy