PDA

View Full Version : Too Cool mod...wow!!!!

drdavidr4u
01/23/2004, 11:13 AM
Hey everyone...you think your mods are great...look at what this guy did!!!
Check out the pics of this mod at
http://www.mujmac.cz/art/hw/tatra_mac_eng.html

The whole story with pics is here

http://www.mujmac.cz/art/hw/tatra_mac_eng.html

Bring your Mac along for the ride -- literally
By Brad Cook
January 23, 2004 7:20 am ET

You can buy a car that has a GPS system, DVD player, and other digital functions already built-in. Or you can do what one enterprising Czech car owner did: You can put a Power Mac G4 in your vehicle and let it provide the GPS navigation, movies, music, weather reports, and more. It's all detailed in an article on MujMAC, a Czech Mac news Web site.

Not only did the author disassemble a Power Mac G4 and place the motherboard in one trunk-bound case and the drives and power supply elsewhere, with the separated parts connected to an in-dash LCD monitor that displays critical data generated by home-made software, but he also included an AirPort card and a built-in Ethernet network for Internet access at Wi-Fi hotspots. He can even use Bluetooth to access the Internet through a GPRS telephone, a feature he says "saved me and my company quite a lot of trouble (and money) when I was able to solve a potentially very serious problem from a parking place on a highway in the middle of Germany."

Focus on the road is important, of course, when you have access to so much information, so the writer also made sure his software respond to voice commands wherever possible. He also has a Griffin PowerMate rotating controller, as well as some in-dash buttons, for controlling the computer without needing to look at the LCD screen, which he purchased and installed himself. Take a look at the full article for more information, as well as plenty of pictures that detail this amazing custom job, which is not for the technically inexperienced.

TDAWG
01/23/2004, 04:52 PM
Nice. I forget which car stero mag I ride but there's a guy with a Cady EZT that acctually cut up his interior and added a full size 21 LCD and whole pc on board. He can acctually connect to the internet using a wireless keyboard and mouse. he even had 2 160GB harddrives 1 for music and the other for all his other things.

nater
02/05/2004, 11:47 PM
Great, I sure hope he's connected to the Internet while I drive behind him...