PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Fraud

WormGod
01/21/2004, 11:59 AM
Well, I jusy hung up the phone with a woman from a handbag company asking about a rather expensive purchase *I* just made for a Gucci handbag. After explaining that *I* made no such purchase, she stated the the *buyer* not only used my CC number but my name also. This is scary stuff man. Especially since this is my third CC number stolen in less than a year. Guess I'll be leaving the office tonight and calling up the CC bank to cancel yet another account.

This teaches me a valuable lesson....

I will never use my CC number online again. I am almost positive that is where it is being snatched from. I should also route through my computer to search for worms and other spy software.

*sigh*

Irish luck

Cyrk
01/21/2004, 12:17 PM
Man that sucks BIG time, good luck with that.

Fingers crossed that never happens to me.

Dallas4u
01/21/2004, 12:34 PM
Dude, that is scary... I buy stuff online at least 60% of the time.

Good luck!!

nyc #1 ironman
01/21/2004, 01:00 PM
See, that's why I always keep my credit cards maxed dude...Nah, Just kidding. One time somebody tried to get instant credit under my name at "Sears" of all places, but they didn't have my social security # thank God... I use Paypal most of the time and it seems ok so far...I wish you luck in straightening out your issue with the card. Well, someones enjoying a Gucci bag on your expense huh? Gonna take alot of overtime hours at work to pay for that thing ! ;)

Hotsauce
01/21/2004, 03:50 PM
Solution: Discover Deskshop

What it is/does: Its a program that does 2 things. It generates a new random single use card number every time you fill out a secure form, and it will fill in the blanks on most order forms for you. You can also create multiple use numbers tied to only one vendor for recurring charges.

This means that you can buy online, and NO ONE ever gets your real card number. If anyone tries to reuse the card number, even the original vendor, it will get declined, and discover will know who leaked it out.

This is the safest way to shop online with a credit card.

John C.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/21/2004, 04:55 PM
Doesn't Visa have something like that? Or maybe the vendor has to implement the VISA solution?

johnnyapollo
01/21/2004, 06:29 PM
Both Visa and Mastercard have credit card fraud protection under new programs.. the Visa one is called Verified by Visa. Basically, you are required to log into a Verified By Visa server to confirm your identity through the use of an additonal password in an encrypted connection. The advantage to Sellers is that if they offer it they get additional chargeback protection on fraudulent numbers. The encrypted connection actually passes the password to the issuing bank, so the responsibility of fraud falls on the bank instead of on Visa.

The advantage to the buyer is the additional password, making it more difficult for criminals to buy numbers, which are used to make bogus purchases.

The Mastercard product works in about the same way.

-- Best, John

Hotsauce
01/21/2004, 06:54 PM
Yeah, but the advantage to the discover scheme is that you can use it at any online vendor that takes discover. Also it prevents any employees of the vendor from making any fraudalent use of the number.

There is no additional cost to either cardholder or vendor.

I am a visa/mc vendor, and the plan you mention hasn't been even offered to me yet.

John C.

WyrreJ
01/21/2004, 07:00 PM
Visa has this lame-@ss "visa-verified" program but large banks have programs equivalent to the Discover one. I use MBNA ShopSafe which is available to any MBNA card holder with no extra charge. The merchant is unable to tell the difference between a shopsafe generated CC# and a number on a physical card.

FWIW, I recently learned that there are companies out there that use your credit card number to build up a profile by correlating your purchases with the same card at "participating merchants" (like grocery stores, bookstores, etc). Got me thinking that ShopSafe and a magnetic strip writer would be a nice way to do one-time use numbers at stores too. As long as the cashiers never check that the card has the same number printed on it as the magstrip reader reports. Imagine trying to explain your way out of that...

PS - you might want to pursue filing a police report. It won't help this case, but with a documented police report in hand, you can get all the major credit reporting agencies to put a "fraud alert" on your files so that anytime someone tries to get new credit (new charge card or a car loan, etc) they will have to call you at your home phone# to confirm before opening a new line of credit. It ought to be a crime that you can't that protection until you've already had a problem. Those credit agencies have way too much power over citizen's lives.

Apostle
01/22/2004, 06:09 AM
Worm, was the store local to you?

might have found an old bill in your trash
might have copied your card when you used it at a convenience store (mom and pop type) with a card reader/writer

some things to think about. allways shred my bills (cross cut, not strip)

Daver
01/22/2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
Got me thinking that ShopSafe and a magnetic strip writer would be a nice way to do one-time use numbers at stores too. As long as the cashiers never check that the card has the same number printed on it as the magstrip reader reports. Imagine trying to explain your way out of that...

Won't work. The cashiers have to enter the last 4 digits of the card # when submitting the charge for approval. This is exactly for the scenario you suggest, which would default the signature box, photo cards, and more as well.

-Daver

WormGod
01/22/2004, 10:17 AM
Well, after doing some research here, it's worse than I thought. It WASNT one of my credit cards that they used. Turns out, someone opened a credit card account in my name. So, it seems it has gone from credit card fraud to identity theft. I have already started the process of aquiring a credit report and my dealings with the states attorney general office on the matter. From what I have been told thus far, the LONG road is just beginning.

If there is a God, can I please get a break for once?!:waab:

JAG!
01/22/2004, 03:20 PM
First of all, sorry to hear about this. Hope this identity theft ordeal goes as smoothly as it can.

About a year ago or so, I got into the habit of checking my credit report. Both Experian and Equifax offer a deal for like $60 bucks a year that allows you to see your credit report and score. But mostly, I like how they notify you of ANY changes in your credit report via email. Any change.

When one of my creditors raised my credit line, I got an email informing me of this. Same thing when I cancelled a credit card.

Something to think about -- plus, it's a good way to see if anyone's opening up stuff in your name or under your credit.

More info (FYI):
Experian: https://www.creditexpert.com/
Equifax: http://www.equifax.com/

I know this message is "after the fact", but hope this helps a little.

WormGod
01/22/2004, 10:20 PM
Well, my buddy who is a loan officer pulled my credit report for me today and we reviewed it. It's good and bad. The good part is my credit is still in outstandingly good condition.

The bad part is, last March, I had reported a stolen CC#. That account was closed and a new CC# was issued to me. Well, the old account is still open, somehow, for some reason. The balance on it reads over $3k, of which is not mine. I called the issuing bank of the card tonight and they told me that the account will still show in my name, of course, and there is a blanace of $0 on it and it is closed out. She then told me to call another number, which turns out to be a credit investigative branch, and speak with them about it. It may be that they are keeping the account open under my name, but with a watchful "closed account" which only they control. This is most likely being done because the "user" of this CC# is a possible catch for them, and they are pursuing them.

Now, as cool as that sounds, I am all for it, but at the same time, it still shows as an open account on my credit report with a balance. This, in turn, is against me if I were to apply for any sort of credit or a loan at this point. Hardly seems fair if you ask me.

So, tomorrow, I am calling the number given to me, and seeing what the deal is. If they are of no help and show no remorse towards my "oh so very personal situation", then I am turning around and calling the Federal Trade Commission. I am planning on buying a new home this spring, and this is not the kind of crap I need to be dealing with now to hurt that situation. *sigh*

JAG!
01/22/2004, 11:12 PM
Good luck. Like spammers, identity thieves need to be shot.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/22/2004, 11:22 PM
Can you get that watched account info in writing? Then you can present that info to potential lenders.

WormGod
01/23/2004, 08:02 AM
AHA! Spoke to the fraud dept just now. No no no. That woman last night was all wrong. They are not using the card as bait.

THEY PLUM FORGOT TO CLOSE IT OUT LAST MARCH!!!!!!!!!!

The woman last night stated that the account in question was closed out last march and had a "0" balance on it.

The fraud unit guy today stated that it is an open account under my name with a $3k+ balance on it. The best he could do was to flag the account, send me an affadvit, and go through the EXACT same procedures as last year. Until then, that crap will pollute my credit report.

I don't know what else to say, but I am going to state a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/23/2004, 04:03 PM
Sorry to hear about your cc problem. After, hopefully, you get it resolved you might want to try what I've done. I have a small "budget" checking account that makes use of a debit card (Visa). I set it up just for internet purchases. I only keep what I plan to spend on internet purchases...usually only $100-$200. That way...if someone steals my #'s they can only spend what is in there. I used it on our splendid speedhut group buy...lol. I don't know if someone could use it to initiate Identity theft and get credit in my name or not...but, at least it offers me a piece of mind. Plus...when I bought my MOMO stuff for the VX...the bank called me up to verify the charges as it was suspicious to them.

Hope this helps. By "Budget checking" I am referring to a plan with no checking charges or fees for a minimal amount, but, you can only write say up to 6 checks a month for free.

Vasha13
01/24/2004, 05:57 AM
That's exactly what I do Jolly Roger. I have a second checking/debit account that isn't linked to my others with overdraft that I use just for internet transactions. That way if someone does get it, there isn't that much money in there and they can't overdraft funds from another account. I buy a ton of stuff online - probably 90% except groceries and I'd buy those online if it were reasonable.