PDA

View Full Version : Chrome door handle covers

Bantan
01/20/2004, 08:53 AM
Anyone know if this mod exists?
I have seen someone actually get their handles chrome plated, but I would like to get some covers that would fit/adhere/attach to the existing door handle.
Also are our handles unique to the VX, or are there other make/model cars with the same handles?
Here is an example of what I'm talking about:
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/30058474/Images/M%20COUPE%20DOOR.JPG

AREA 51
01/20/2004, 09:33 AM
Pretty sure I read that the handles are unique to the VX.

CrzyFool
01/20/2004, 10:08 AM
I think they are universal to other Isuzus of the model year. The VX was built from a lot of shared parts

Raque Thomas
01/20/2004, 04:22 PM
I've looked at them pretty close, and they appear to be the same as the Rodeo handles - I've seen a couple of sets of Rodeo chrome handles on eBay, but I missed buying them.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/20/2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by CrzyFool
I think they are universal to other Isuzus of the model year. The VX was built from a lot of shared parts

Not as many as you might think.

Be sure to check the shape of the handles with respect to square or rounded. I'm quite sure I've read that the developement of the VX for production was confirmed in part,
by the tooling up for the VX specific door handles. This was reported back when the actual production was still in question.

johnnyapollo
01/21/2004, 03:01 AM
I agree with the SGT. Even though the door handles may look similar, there could be great differences in the underlying mechanics. I know that Isuzu spent quite a bit of money tooling the mirrors to look like the mirrors on the Rodeo, but there are actual differences to prevent them from being 100% interchangeable.

-- John

Raque Thomas
01/21/2004, 08:52 PM
Amen on the mirrors - I just went through that issue with the chrome mirrors designed for the Rodeo. They were EXACTLY (from the outside) the same as the VehiCROSS mirrors. But the guts were totally different and caused some MAJOR re-engineering work. The door handles look the same, and logic would tell you that they would have used curent tooling to lower cost - but logic doesn't seem to have been an issue with the VehiCROSS. The guy who did the tooling on the Rodeo mirrors told me that they probably spent another $250,000 to get the Rodeo mirror that his company was already producing re- engineered and brought to market for a very limited production vehicle- the VehiCROSS. So we're talking about just the mirror being a $250k expense for them - who knows what other items they had redesigned that could have been carried over. We decry the commonality of parts between vehicles many times, but if they are really the same part, why do the manufacturers spend big bucks to have some one recreate them????

SGT.BATGUANO
01/22/2004, 10:42 PM
Guess it's part of the price we pay for having a limited production, unique, desireable vehicle. Especially, if we ever have to replace parts.