PDA

View Full Version : Front axle driven wheel?

SGT.BATGUANO
01/19/2004, 05:31 PM
Does anyone know which wheel gets the torque on the front axle?

MrCrowley
01/20/2004, 09:45 AM
Both, unless they are slipping in which case its the one with the least traction. It is an open diff. That reminds me... I wish I could afford an ARB unit... oh well:mad:

StinkBug
01/20/2004, 11:33 PM
yep the above post is right on.

If you're wondering which one is more likely to break though, its the short one. Less shaft length to twist and absorb shock loads.

Dallas

SGT.BATGUANO
01/21/2004, 12:25 AM
I agree the front is an open type.

I associate open diffs and solid rear axles with one-wheel burnouts, because it tends to be the same wheel every time, due to the torque and lifting forces at work and the lack of countermeasures that a posi unit provides.

I know that kind of slippage can be overcome with airbags or weight distribution. What I'd like to know is which wheel on the front of the VX is most likely to spin like in the burn-out example above. I'm theorizing that although front "wheel" lift is pretty much negated by the independent front suspension and the offset of the differential from center, the passenger(short) side "axle" would receive the "lifting" force due to pinion/ ring relationship. Agreed?

Stink- Is that what you meant when you say break? As in break loose? Or do you mean physically break parts?

MrCrowley
01/21/2004, 11:07 AM
For non rock crawler use a limited slip differential can also be used. It has some minor negative effects, but you would never have to worry about slippage all the way around. Kind of like the Subaru Sti locked all 4 ways

SGT.BATGUANO
01/21/2004, 04:28 PM
Why do you say "non rockcrawler" use. Isn't the purpose of the posi to transfer power to the wheel that's slipping?