PDA

View Full Version : Physical size difference between stock motor and LS1...

coachreed
01/15/2004, 09:44 PM
I did some measurements on my bosses motor today... a 2002 Z/28 with LS1 in place. Here's what I found... the vehicross motor is aproximately 20 inches wide at the point where the manifolds bolt onto the heads... the LS1 you ask? 20 inches! The VX motor is actually wider since it gets wider towards the top for the OHC and valve covers. The length of the VX motor... apoximately (approximation since I have it torn apart) 20 inces to front motor... not including accessories... the LS1 you ask? 20½"... that is actually measured from the firewall... hard to tell where exactly it starts.. think there is a half inch between the motor and firewall. The overall distance from the firewall to the front of the motor (water pump pulley)... LS1? 28"! I just measured the distance from the firewall to approximately where the radiator is... shoud have enough room to actually put an electric fan between the motor and radiator... I was thinking I would need to put it in front of the radiator...

Basically... what I'm trying to say is... the LS1 motor will fit with NO problems whatsoever! The LS1 motor is extremely compact for such a large, potent engine. Its pretty bad when you can squeeze an old technology (push rod as opposed to OHC) motor with 50%+ more HP and torque with 2.2L more displacement into the space of the smaller, higher technology motor. I know... don't get excited yet... plenty to still worry about... just thought I'd drop some specs your ways... I'll TTYL!

VehiX
01/16/2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by coachreed

Basically... what I'm trying to say is... the LS1 motor will fit with NO problems whatsoever!

I think it's a bit early to be making statements like this!

Don't jynx yourself man :D

Keep up the good work.