PDA

View Full Version : Tones rear brake light flasher

drdavidr4u
01/14/2004, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know for sure if tones rear brake light flasher is legal in NJ or NY?
Anyone in these states have one and not been hassled by the cops?
I bought one but havent installed it yet ...wanted to be sure,
Thanks,
Dave

nyc #1 ironman
01/14/2004, 09:43 AM
I hate to answer you and jinks myself but i haven't had any problems at all with tones light between manhattan and staten island. one time a cop was behind me and pulled up next to me and just asked about the truck although i thought they wanted to bust my chops they didn't, i told them i thought they wanted to ticket me and they said no but we could've, but we just wanted to know what kind of truck it was, i'm assuming they meant they could've meaning the flashing light.i think tone said they were legal.

AREA 51
01/14/2004, 09:50 AM
I believe Tone also stated that some newer cars come with a brakelight flasher from the factory. I've also seen a fire truck with a brake light flasher, but it only flashed 3x per application.

nyc #1 ironman
01/14/2004, 11:28 AM
Do you know any of the cars that come with it? this way you can call thoses dealers and find out for sure. i really haven't seen any with it?

WormGod
01/14/2004, 01:51 PM
These flashing tails came about since they pushed motorcycle manufacturers to install them STOCK on their bikes. In all reality, it gets attention faster than a normal lighted brake light. Same goes with LED tail lights. Cars/trucks could be quite different.

Most mods of this nature can be found illegal if they are not factory installed. A quick call to your state police can reveal an answer. They are usually VERY good about looking up the answer for you. I really like this mod, but I don't know if I want my car to light up like a Christmas tree everytime I stop.... especially since i live in a city. :rolleyes: Maybe one day, I will move further out in the sticks.

VehiX
01/14/2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by AREA 51
I believe Tone also stated that some newer cars come with a brakelight flasher from the factory. I've also seen a fire truck with a brake light flasher, but it only flashed 3x per application.

I'm pretty sure I read that these lights come with a sensitivity adjuster (not sure of the correct term) that would allow you to adjust the pulsating flash from faster to slower so that it is not that noticable.

Can some one with this installed verify this? or am I just blowing smoke out my ***** and mixing this up with something else :confused:

sorry for speculating :rolleyes:

zadam123
01/14/2004, 06:35 PM
I was pulled over for a brake light flasher and was told it was illegal but it wasnt tones and it was the original brake lights. They rotated in a circle when on and when you hit the brake they flashed. when i was pulled over the cop told me it was not legeal even though i told him it was red and that i was told it was legal by the guy who sold it to me the cop said its considered dazzaling which makes it illegal. he even said that he never saw it on a car befor but saw it on bikes and even that was illegal.
I didnt get a ticket but was upset none the less.

Dont cops have more important things to do than bust chops over something unharmfull like car mods:confused:

adam

nyc #1 ironman
01/14/2004, 06:54 PM
You are able to adjust it. Someone said you can call the local sheriff's office , but who do you call if you live in the city? I'm sure a cop may just tell you its illegal on the phone but where can you find it in writing, because I remember someone I think posted Tennesee laws and it stated you couldn't have anything blinking in front or anything blinking blue or yellow, not sure though.

WyrreJ
01/14/2004, 06:57 PM
Tone's blinker has two settings - blink rate and duration of blinking (after which it goes to solid on). I have mine set to the fastest blink rate and the shortest duration which is about 5 seconds with around 6-7 full blinks. First time I went driving with it installed, the lady behind me must have been hypnotized because I've never been tailgated so closely. But, after that it seems to have had the intended effect, especially in abnormal cases like having to stop in the middle of nowhere for road construction and that sort of thing.

WormGod
01/14/2004, 09:08 PM
You know, I can find out easily for MD, but I dont know about other states. My brother in law is a MD state inspector and I will fire it by him. Not that he will know about any other states, but he may know about surrounding states. :confused:

Also, state can govern differently than county in many instances. Some state laws here allow for certain mods, as where Montgomery County apparently cracks down on many that are allowed. Crap like that can most likely confuse the hell outta most police officers too.

Would be nice to have an online site that offers statewide acceptances list. Of course, that's wishful thinking. :D

WyrreJ
01/14/2004, 09:53 PM
FWIW - anyone can create almost the same effect by simply tapping their brake peddle, unlike other brake-light mods. Thus it would make sense for the blinker to be 50-state legal. Not that the law is suppossed to makes sense.

nyc #1 ironman
01/15/2004, 09:32 AM
Geez, your right, that makes sense ! (LOL) Can you be ticketed for excessive braking? :confused: Well, I'm surprised noone can really shed any light on this matter....

Simon Templar
01/15/2004, 10:54 AM
I've been running Tones' Third Light Flasher for something in the neighbourhood of two years now. I was somewhat concerned about attracting cops myself when I first installed it. However, I have had cops behind me numerous times in traffic and have yet to be pulled over or even questioned about it.

If a cop wants to give you grief, he is going to do it....won't matter whether your third brake light is flashing or not...he'll find (or invent) a reason. So, I wouldn't worry about it much. When and if your time comes....it'll come. Otherwise, like the man said, Don't worry...be happy!

....sT

nyc #1 ironman
01/15/2004, 01:58 PM
Yes, true, thank god most of the time they are distracted by the beauty of the VX....;Do;

Pete
01/15/2004, 02:07 PM
I could have sworn I saw this third light blinking feature on a stock minivan today! Didn't pay attention to make and model though

drdavidr4u
01/16/2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the input.
I asked a cop at my gym today and she said that there is written into the law something that syas it is illegal to modify any of the required "safety equiptmnet" on a vehicle. She felt it would be a ticketable offense.
But...she didnt say if she'd pull me over!!!

I'll put it on anyway.....what the H!!!!

Tone
01/16/2004, 11:46 AM
It's hidden above the headliner - there is no way for them to know whether it came stoc k or was added.

Anita
01/16/2004, 11:48 AM
Ive had Cali Highway Patrol and city cops behind and around me driving at day or night... they certainly see it.. but I've never been stopped. Not knowing what a VX is, maybe they think the flashing light is a stock item.

nyc #1 ironman
01/16/2004, 01:18 PM
That's how I feel Anita....

Simon Templar
01/16/2004, 08:50 PM
Tone has the right take on it all, anyway.

Should I ever be pulled over for it.....it came that way. I have no reason to think that this is not what it is supposed to do.

Can you show me the modification, Officer? I'll gladly take care of it immediately. What? No apparent signs of tampering? Guess I was right....it's stock! Those crafty japanese. Have a nice day.

....sT

nyc #1 ironman
01/17/2004, 11:11 PM
OMG u r 2 funny Simon,,,, That iz exactly what I will do if ever get in that situation...

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/18/2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by zadam123

Dont cops have more important things to do than bust chops over something unharmfull like car mods:confused:

adam

I've been through this many times with previous vehicles...the answer to your question is.......

Yes they do...but, would you (as a cop) rather deal with a crack dealer/user who might be pack'in... or... harass an automobile enthusiast who probably isn't pack'in and also generate some revenue for the state to boot (ticket) all while you enjoy raining on someones parade. Hmmmmm.....difficult choice!

nyc #1 ironman
01/18/2004, 12:35 PM
Well, its no secret on a slow night cops like to bust chops or have a quota to meet with giving out tickets, in which they'd rather give to us then to come to heads with a crack dealer, i have many friends on the job in NY who just simply turn their heads in order to stay alive especially when their shift is about over, so yes, they could bust chops for so many little things on your vehicle unfortunetly...

Simon Templar
01/18/2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
...but, would you (as a cop) rather deal with a crack dealer/user who might be pack'in... or... harass an automobile enthusiast who probably isn't pack'in and also generate some revenue for the state to boot (ticket)

And that is the true meat of it after all, isn't it?

Ever wonder why your local constabulary enjoys those check-your-breath-and-sniff-your-crotch roadblocks so much?? People without their seatbelts on aren't likely to shoot back at them. Not to mention they just fall all over themselves to pay those fines. Take my money PLEASE!!!!!

Bubba and the rest of the Municipal Posse all standing about on the roadside handing out tickets whilst meanwhile armed robbery, drug-dealing, and the like all being conducted in-town in business-as-usual style without any worries.

Yes, yes....I know. I am a cynical SOB, aren't I? Sorry guys....calls 'em as I sees 'em.

....sT

geshaw30
01/20/2004, 02:19 PM
I normally don't bother ranting on other's positions but I just gotta laugh at the cop-bashing. It simply never ceases to amaze me. As a street officer of 20 years in one of the most dangerous cities in America (Houston) I take offense at simplistic thinking that I perfer to hand out seatbelt tickets over chasing drug dealers out of my beat. Until you've stood in my shoes for as long as I have spare me your preconceived notions as to how police go about their duties. I have no ticket quota and most metropolitian cities don't. As a matter of fact I seldom have the time to deal with traffic violations because I'm coming to your house to deal with the burglar in your back yard or the turd stealing the Sony system out of your VX. You have a God given right to voice your opinion and I personally have no problem with it until you start to generalize. I have never run from anyone who might be armed as I have two children in this city that I would not want the same guy to confront because I let him go to chase down someone with a broken tail light. Like everyone on this forum I have a job to do and, albeit at times unpleasant, I do it to the best of my ability so you & your family can sleep well at night. Here endth the lesson.
________
General insurance forums (http://www.insurance-forums.org/general-insurance/)

Tone
01/20/2004, 03:43 PM
This site is created, run by and supported by one hell of a police officer. As in any profession, there are good and bad people. Power can corrupt but overall the police do far more good for society than you will ever realize and allow you to be the little brats you are. If you are worried about harrassment, tow the line and don’t take any chances. Otherwise, just do it and enjoy being an individual and deal with whatever hassles occur - but please, stop your whining and your blaming and your blanket statements that reveal ignorance.

carlymac
01/20/2004, 06:39 PM
I'm with you brother,
As a "chop buster" myself it never ceases to amaze me how little some people actually know about what the police do. Yes, traffic violations are part of our job, but I am APPALLED at the statement made by Jolly Roger VX'er! If he really believes ANY police officer would rather enforce an equipment violation over a pistol wielding crack dealer he's way off. I read his post as to call police officers cowards and coffer filling goons who's sole reason for being is to "rain on someones parade". Too many good men and women have died preserving the peace each of us feel while sleeping in our beds at night to make a blanket statement like that. Almost everybody I've met has had a bad experience with a police officer, that's the nature of our job. Whether it be investigating a crime where someone has been victimized, arresting a drunk driver, issuing a traffic citation or a child seeing us take daddy to jail for beating up mommy...their all bad experiences. But every policce officer I know is genuine in his or her compassion for the fellow man. I once heard a statement that made a lot of sense "Don't curse a farmer with your mouth full of food".......think about it.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/20/2004, 10:50 PM
Call me a fanboy if you want. To live in a law abiding society you have to take the favorable laws with the distastefull.

It's your responsibility to know the laws in your area and abide by them. We're all familiar with the expression," ignorance of the law is not an excuse".

Do your research, check your local statutes and if in doubt don't do it. Hell, you can call the police and ask them in advance if what you're trying is illegal.

Or,

You Pay your money and take your chances.

The judge will interpret the law for you, if need be.

The police only enforce the laws that their governments pass. The governments pass the laws that the PEOPLE (ideally) want. If you don't like the laws that your representatives pass, and you can garner enough support, the laws can be changed or repealed. The representatives can be voted out of or into office.

As has been mentioned before, there can always be a few bad apples in positions of power, and that goes for the pols as well, but when was the last time you were stopped for an infraction that you were really, TOTALLY innocent (NOT ignorant) of?

Regarding the dodging the badguys thing.....officers are killed, shot, stabbed or assaulted during traffic stops that are for routine minor infractions. Badguys come in all shapes and forms and often have no respect for traffic laws or any other laws. How many times do you hear of someone stopped for a minor violation, only to find out they have a warrant, or no license or insurance, or a gun or contraband, etc.?

Next time you get pulled over, don't be confrontational. Take the punishment that you likely brought on yourself. And remember, the last person the officer stopped may have been a real jerk or even a criminal.

Would you walk a mile in a cops shoes for the kind of wages they get, not knowing when you're gonna run into some fruitloop with a deathwish?

Or, knowing that 99% of the people you stop are not going to be happy to see you?

Give 'em a break.

Thank them, even.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/21/2004, 05:08 PM
yeah...and I suppose that the cop that pulled me over for a "light-bar" violation on my '79 Bronco just down the road from a guy selling crack at a low income housing establishment was real concerned about illegal drugs being sold. My lights weren't even hooked up...it was only for looks.

I also went to court to prove that a particular cop was lying about a citation I got. I won. He lost. He was fired a week later.

You're right about one thing...I shouldn't generalize cops or people for that matter.

But, I'll NEVER change my opinion of those particular cops nor my opinion of others I've met in MY Life.

C'est la vie

As for worrying about it...I've never let it stop me on any of my vehicles. I've had illegal lift kits...lights...red lights...
I had a cop tell me I had to remove my radar detector...funny...laws in PA say I can have one.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/21/2004, 05:44 PM
Like I said , there are some bad apples.......

Also, traffic doesn't usually get involved in detective work and vice versa. If you start giving mixed directives to those branches they could easily wipe out a case being built against an alledged criminal. You know the example, rookie cop goes in to bust a deal only to find out the "dealer" is from another law enforcement group and the buyer (the intended target) walks due to a proceedural technicality in the law.

Criminals are organized so well these days that by the time your pullover cop could get to the dealer, the dealer would have been gone, since he got a 5-0 call on his cell phone when the marked car approached the end of the block. The stash would've been given to a minor or tossed.

nocturnalVX
01/22/2004, 09:08 AM
I'm one to buy the mod & cross my fingers. None of my vehicles stayed stock for long! Window tint, performance mods, whatever... it's fun making it unique. I was told by a few that I'm GOING to get pulled over because my new VX tires stick out a bit, and once had to sign a waiver at a motorcycle shop that my new exhaust system was "for off road only". ;) I have the break light flasher (wasn't going to get it until I saw it on others' in Moab), and have (knock on wood) never had a problem in Chicago, Vegas, Colorodo, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, New York, Boston, etc. It may irritate some people (sorry Yal ;py; ), but the attention-getting benefits are worth it.
Oh, and the police issue... most are cool (and motorcycle/automobile enthusiasts too), and I'd rather have them than not. My friend Jenny got us pulled over for speeding in New York state, but the officer didn't say anything about the flasher (which he HAD to see 'cuz she stood on the brakes) and ended up letting us off. Kewl!

yal^
01/23/2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by nocturnalVX
(...)
I have the break light flasher (wasn't going to get it until I saw it on others' in Moab), and have (knock on wood) never had a problem in Chicago, Vegas, Colorodo, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, New York, Boston, etc. It may irritate some people (sorry Yal ;py; ), but the attention-getting benefits are worth it.
Oh, and the police issue... most are cool (and motorcycle/automobile enthusiasts too), and I'd rather have them than not. My friend Jenny got us pulled over for speeding in New York state, but the officer didn't say anything about the flasher (which he HAD to see 'cuz she stood on the brakes) and ended up letting us off. Kewl!

Yes, it did irritate my extremely :) but that's ok Gill. I realized that the more this thing is aggravating, the better it works. I might even go for it; since I noticed lately people on the road have tendencies to sit on my tail. Sometimes I am just waiting for someone to kiss my a#* and say hello to my tailgate. Maybe if they see something like this flashing, they will understand it means, "Back off". It worked for me, I did not want to follow you ;) Just kidding. Really, I just wanted to be in the middle :)

FIEND
01/24/2004, 10:29 AM
Normally I stay out of the VX topics and just pop over to see my friends but this one sparked a little intrest.Yes the light mod is annoying but I saw his brakes on real early because of it.Is it illegal probably.How many people are running 4 " of lift.Indiana law says no more tha 3" above stock.Do they bust us for it...nope.Not unless you are just being an idiot.

Not to step on toes but I don't like the way SOME cops abuse the power they are givin.They use to write the names down of the kids that were bad when the teacher left the room.One of the fellas that lives by me is a cop and he is a great guy and so are his cop friends but I see so many others running 90 with no lites or sirens in a 55....legal???Anyway busting cops in a thread for a brake light mod is kinda stupid.When in doubt don't buy it.I think it makes seeing the brake lights on alot quicker because something flashing bright red is going to get your attention,Now Tone make them for the bastardized 95.5 Rodeo so I can honestly say I know what I'm talking about.

nocturnalVX
01/24/2004, 01:38 PM
Not to get too off-topic, but I got a laugh at Fiend's post. I never thought anyone would envy the mods available for the VX (there are so few), but the 95 1/2 Rodeo suffers for being rare too. Too funny! As far as the topic goes... like I said if you want it, get it.:thumbup:

Tone
01/24/2004, 05:41 PM
3rd brake light flasher works on ANY vehicle with a third brake light.

FIEND
01/25/2004, 05:18 PM
Well Tone...nice of you to think of everyone in your career as "mod man"...lol.So few people have taken the time to even deal with Isuzu's and even fewer for those of us that don't drive everyday types.I know the pain that you VXers have with limited support.I think the only mod for my little 3.2 is a K&N...sure it could be a conical or a drop in but that's pretty much it.I'll have to look into the brake light deal for my Rodeo.Maybe if I annoy the people behind me they will actually stop.As a matter of fact this evening with the snow we just got I just had a near hit with a yuppie in his BMW X5.All wheel drive and brakes like anyone else equals FIEND looking for rear end parts...LMAO.Thanx again Tone.