PDA

View Full Version : Gas $3.00/ gal ???

AREA 51
01/14/2004, 05:43 AM
That's what some analysts are predicting for this summer. Should separate the suv men from the boys.;)

Joe_Black
01/14/2004, 06:05 AM
Eh? I'll just pretend I'm driving a V-10 again or flying to work everyday.;pg;

Capri
01/14/2004, 06:11 AM
I see sipping tons of gasoline as a way to encourage more auto makers make alternate fuel and cheaper hybrids :D

Joe_Black
01/14/2004, 07:05 AM
Not to get too off topic, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the main reasons American auto manufacturers aren't working on hydrogen power (like the rest of the world) is that just about anyone can make their own fuel.

ScubaSteve
01/14/2004, 07:41 AM
That's why I'm configuring my VX to run off beer... preferably Sammy, so I can run a tap from the fuel tank to my center console.

I also think, without going off-topic, that they're basing this off the fact that we're supposed to pull outa Iraq in July... one could then predict the possibility of loyalist uprisings, a mini-coup, and the halting of oil exporting and contracts to the US.

I'm gonna go ahead and venture my own opinion... I'm gonna assume, safely i believe, that the US is far from willing to pull out without safely protecting their assets... why do you think they're selling contracts before the government (and therefore control of Iraqi exporting) is in the hands of the Iraqi council? We will continue to have a permanent presence (mostly Army, but some Marines since the Army can't provide their own security.... don't get me started on Jessica Lynch.. grr) in Iraq for another decade. Bush announced after nearly a month into Operation IF that Congress planned to fund the "rebuilding" (which we can assume to include the "de-building") with oil contracts to US companies. And since we all know Bush is an oil-tycoon, it's safe to assume that he'll be especially passionate about ensuring this happens.

Oil prices, in my quasi-professional opinion, should bounce around (that's mostly the importer - not the exporter) but won't go NEAR $3.00 a gallon (at least in the MD/VA/DC area). I know some states have rediculous gas prices, but it's mostly a result of state taxes, not the price per barrel of oil...

Thoughts?

Dallas4u
01/14/2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by ScubaSteve
That's why I'm configuring my VX to run off beer... preferably Sammy, so I can run a tap from the fuel tank to my center console.

That is the MOST WASTEFUL thing I have ever heard! :D How DARE you burn beer for fuel. Beer goes in the belly! (Maybe you could use Pabst or The Beast for fuel... of course, you may encounter pinging)

Bantan
01/14/2004, 08:21 AM
I got gas at .75 cents per gallon on my way to work last nigth. filled up my tank for $15 :dance: now thats what I'm talking about. I cannot even remember when gas was that cheap. Apparently the pump was programmed wrong instead of 1.75 per gal. Nevertheless, I told all my Co-workers, and after work there was a line at pump#2. ;Dy;

Anita
01/14/2004, 08:23 AM
Use Guinness. Take the foam off the top and polish the cladding with it. Two-fold use!

Dallas4u
01/14/2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Bantan
...instead of 1.75 per gal.

I'm in the Newark, NJ area right now, and I haven't seen regular unleaded for more than $1.50. Are you using plus or premium, or is it just that much more expensive in NY?

nyc #1 ironman
01/14/2004, 09:46 AM
Hey Dallas,
I was in Newark Saturday. What r u doing all the way over in theses neck of the woods?

Jim98122x
01/14/2004, 10:24 AM
Automakers don't care how many miles-per-gallon their vehicles get. If they did, why would they keep making Pig-mobiles like Ford Excursions and Expeditions and GMC Yukons and the like? They keep making them because people keep buying them, and the public doesn't care enough about fuel economy.

As long as people are foolish enough to keep buying vehicles that get crappy fuel mileage, they'll keep making them. Hey, we have to count ourselves in that mix. The Vehicross isn't exactly thrifty in fuel economy. If I didn't drive so few miles per year (about 7,000) I wouldn't have bought one either.

The only way to encourage automakers to make more fuel-efficient vehicles is to stop buying the big, fat ones.

BTW, people in Europe like SUV's too....they just have lots of smaller and more thrifty ones to choose from, which we never see over here.

Dallas4u
01/14/2004, 10:28 AM
I am working with my boss and my counterpart here on the east coast at the ChevronTexaco asphalt facility in Perth Amboy. I've been here since Tuesday (Jan 6) and will be here until this Friday.

It's isn't the prettiest place in the world by any means!!! At least I get to shack up at a decent hotel!

Bantan
01/14/2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
I'm in the Newark, NJ area right now, and I haven't seen regular unleaded for more than $1.50. Are you using plus or premium, or is it just that much more expensive in NY?

The later, it is indeed more expensive in NYC, but so is everything else. Some folks even drive to NJ to buy gas. BTW this is the second time you come visit, close to a VX meet, and not hook up with us Fellow VXers. Thats F@#$ up, whats the matter, you don't like us NYCers? Oh well, you gonna miss the "Apple Booty" contest in Brooklyn on Saturday nigth.;Db;

lenny
01/14/2004, 12:41 PM
wow wish i could get fuel for that price

when i go and fill up im paying $6.44 per gallon 4.5 litres,,,,,, well £3.50 in the uk think ive converted it right

but like everything else in this .......... country we get ripped off
big time

Dallas4u
01/14/2004, 12:46 PM
Meet? What meet? Where the hell?

I don't keep up with the meets too much since they are usually too far away from me. It would be sweet to go to one this far from home, but I'd miss not having my VX with me... I'm rollin' in tha Malibu right now!

WormGod
01/14/2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ScubaSteve

Ya, that is a waste! :p

You need to configure a system that will allow you to run off of the urine created from drinking beer. ;)

Dallas4u
01/14/2004, 06:10 PM
Better yet, use Mad Dog. That stuff is rocket fuel anyway, plus it's cheap as hell. Then, if someone ralphs from drinking too much, recycle that for a little extra boost... heck, it's inevitable!

SGT.BATGUANO
01/21/2004, 05:18 PM
Just to add some insult to injury on the robust economy topic, I too, just heard a report on this subject stating that $3/ gal is not only possible this summer, IT IS PROBABLE!

And I'm also certain the oil companies will be reporting record profits for the same period, as they regularly do when gas prices surge.

Good thing Dubya has kept his family's oil interests in mind. Their net worth should become more "robust" as a result.

Heraclid
01/21/2004, 05:29 PM
Check some real statistics and don't drink the Mello Yello until you've independently confirmed that it's indeed Mello Yello for yourself.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/21/2004, 06:00 PM
Real world?

O.K.

Situation causes gas price jump, which happens immediately or overnight. After situation is rectified, prices slowly come down, and even then, never to the pre- situation level. Real-world result?

Higher prices for consumers, more tax revenue for government and increased profits for producers.

When was the last time anyone ever heard of an oil company having layoffs or declaring bankruptcy?

Joe_Black
01/21/2004, 06:22 PM
Spazz, I've got to laugh about the V-10 comment! :laughg: Before the VX I had an '01 Ford F-250 Crew-cab long-bed 4X4 with the 7.3L V-10. Around town I got 12 MPG and on the highway about 16 MPG. My Dragon does a bit better at 17MPG for mixed driving, although the IronMan I picked up in Houston is pegging almost 20 MPG on the highway with 100,000 miles on the clock. Gotta love that DOHC mill!;Do;

Eckstream
02/03/2004, 07:06 PM
Damn... Ill be taking a hit if gas goes to $3/ga. Im getting 200 miles to a full tank. Its 22 gal right? Thats 9.1 gal/mile.... It runs fine why would I be getting that mileage? I ran injector cleaner a month ago and change oil on a regular bassis. I dont drive fast either...

SGT.BATGUANO
02/03/2004, 07:14 PM
Have you owned it since new? If yes, have you tracked mileage since new? Has it stayed the same or declined? What size tires? Ever changed your air filter? What type of driving do you mainly do, hwy. or city?

Eckstream
02/03/2004, 07:40 PM
Second owner original owner serviced it at the place I bought it from..... All regular servicing It was their weekend car. I put new k&n drop in filter about a month ago. Still on duelers running about 38psi... I mostly drive highway at about 60-65mph and dont race or over accelerate... Other than guzzlin gas at an exponential rate everything seems fine. It doesnt smell like its running rich or anything. Ill just have to find some time in my schedule to get it in and looked at. They probably wont find anything anyway..........

Eckstream
02/03/2004, 07:42 PM
O and I bought it with 29,875 miles and is now reading 35,244 miles in the 4mos I have owned it

SGT.BATGUANO
02/03/2004, 07:58 PM
Only other guesses are maybe it has a vac. leak and the ECU is dumping fuel to compensate for it? You don't ride your brakes, do you? Trans slipping? Convertor locking? Have dealer check 02 sensors and egr valve. Also ask about ECU program revision. Keep us posted because that mileage sounds crummy.

omegavx
02/04/2004, 12:03 AM
Gas finally hit a $1.74 here, it hadn't passed the $1.63 mark. I kept thinking gas would never hit $3.00, but if it keeps fluctuating like it has been, then it might just get there. Two weeks ago gas was like $1.33, last week it was $1.55 and today $1.74.

Maverick
02/04/2004, 01:08 AM
im thrilled with my mileage, getting about 18 mpg combined driving (about 70% highway) and ive no complaints at all especially since my old f350 crew tops out at 6mpg highway (460 ci ) . the vx is a miser compared to that pig...
I wont complain about prices either, the rest of the world pays so much more for gas, even at three dollars a gallon wed still be ahead of the game..though it would be nice to pay less, thats for sure...
im still waiitng for my "mr fusion" fuel converter though, somebody invent it all ready..ive got plenty of trash to turn into clean fuel for the time machine ;Db;

ScubaSteve
02/04/2004, 04:51 AM
88 MILES PER HOUR!! 1 MILLION GIGAWATTS!

sorry... i'm done now...