PDA

View Full Version : RallyCross UPDATE

Joe_Black
01/13/2004, 06:49 PM
Just wanted to update y'all on progress for the Florida RallyCross: Finished speaking with the SCCA rep a few moments ago and have scheduled to get the course inspected on the 24th. If all goes well and major improvements aren't needed we should have an event towards late February or early March. I'll post more info as it becomes available.

For those not familiar with RallyCross, it's like a performance rally course but laid out on a flat plot of land with portions of the track defined by cones rather than roads or terrain. Stock vehicles can enter and elaborate safety equipment is not required with the exception of a helmet (which are sometimes available for loan or rent). You are not also required to be an SCCA member, although the small entry fee will be slightly higher (like $5 more). Competition is determined by your time through the course, often based on multiple runs. It's a great way to learn about racing and get your feet wet without the worry of tearing up your VX. You can read more at SCCA RallyCross (http://www.scca.org/amateur/performance_rally/#rallycross) .

If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact me!

Joe_Black
01/15/2004, 01:48 PM
Course inspection moved up to this Saturday, so keep your peepers peeled for a post at the end of the weekend. Woohoo!

Joe_Black
01/17/2004, 06:17 PM
Laid out a test track today and looks like we're on for RallyCross! We're shooting for a date between 4 to 8 weeks from now, so stay tuned as I'll post the date and details as soon as it's finalized. In addition to being a regular meet, the RallyCross will be a sanctioned SCCA event which means you'll get to see how your VX stacks up against other vehicles such as the WRX.

Heraclid
01/17/2004, 07:59 PM
WOOHOO! I'm already looking at helmets :-)

Joe_Black
01/18/2004, 01:49 PM
Awesome! BTW, the helmet requirement is a minimum of Snell M95. If you think you want to get into motorsport at all shop for hemets rated Snell SA95 or better. There should be loaners available as well, but that will be confirmed as the event nears. I will be posting complete info probably within the week though, which will include complete rules and requirements for the event. Stay tuned!

Heraclid
01/18/2004, 08:07 PM
Well, now I've just had mine idle high a couple of times so I'm thinking I may have to do the EGR/PCV/fuel filter or whatever it is to head that one off at the pass before I think about anything else. Gonna go back and check the current thread on it.

Joe_Black
01/22/2004, 08:00 PM
UPDATE: The Rallycross guy is coming up from Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow to finalize the course and go over all the paperwork and such. Looks like I'll be hosting an entire series for the region if all works out well, so I hope you guys get hooked on this as there should be plenty of competition! We should be finalizing at least the initial dates which I'll post as soon as they're confirmed.

-x-
01/23/2004, 08:45 AM
whats tha possibility of flippin/rollin tha vx? :rolleyes: ....x

Joe_Black
02/04/2004, 09:41 PM
Okay, looks like all we're waiting for is a Safety Steward and then we get the signoff for the event. It looks like the 28th and there's another major SCCA event the 21st, but it still isn't confirmed just yet. I'm expecting (more like pushing for) an answer by this weekend. When confirmed I'll post on the calendar and start linking details, entry info etc. for the event. Getting closer! Once over this event, we're planning a regular series. Stay tuned!

Heraclid
02/05/2004, 02:52 PM
Looking forward to it - either as a spectator or driver, I'll be there. :-)

Joe_Black
02/06/2004, 09:37 AM
We're still looking for SCCA Safety Stewards, so if you're one and would like to volunteer for the event please let me know ASAP. Thanks!

Safety Steward and all sanction-related needs filled, although event volunteers are greatly welcome.

Joe_Black
02/17/2004, 05:58 AM
UPDATE: The RallyCross website is up and you'll need to pre-register if you intend to enter. Pre-registration will begin Wednesday, Feb. 18th at 22:00 EST. Everyone is, of course, welcome to attend and spectate. Let's make a good showing as there is to be a good deal of coverage for this inaugural event. For more info and pre-registration go here: Fort Meade RallyCross. (http://www.planetarydomination.com/rally.htm)

Joe_Black
02/17/2004, 08:33 PM
Just got confirmation there will be a food vendor on-site Saturday, so no having to hike into town for the munchies or during the lunch break. Good BBQ-type stuff!

Joe_Black
02/18/2004, 07:27 PM
ONLINE REGISTRATION NOW OPEN! BE SURE TO REFRESH THE PAGE IF PROBLEMS. LINK ON THE CALENDAR POST AND ABOVE.

Heraclid
02/18/2004, 08:15 PM
Just sent you my registration info! How's it going to work? Will we each get to make a few runs? Is it based on our best time or an average? I read that somewhere before but forgot and can't find it now.

Joe_Black
02/19/2004, 10:00 AM
Everyone gets four runs, all rally timed. Scoring is based on your cumulative score from those times in your class, plus there's overall awards. The entrants are filling up, lots of Subarus but plenty of other stuff too. This is going to be a BLAST!;Do;

Heraclid
02/19/2004, 03:54 PM
I know it's a bit off-topic, but damn the VX drove nice today! The PV2 was putting out some different tones from the usual, it was nice and peppy. It was throatier under accleration with almost none of the tones I don't like. Under hard acceleration I didn't have hesitation or any momentary 'bog down"under load... the louder PV2 noise came in spurts (on shift) that sounded different than usual... just a nice throaty purr between them rather than the typical extended loud stuff. It was still loud, but in a much better way. It was sort of cool weather, but not cold... dry... don't think it was a factor though. I recently changed the PCV, air filter and fuel filter, but it's been a little while so this didn't happen right after that. Reset the computer, but that was long ago too and didn't seem to do much. Only other thing is that it is normally run on 87 octane, but it was run on premium the last tank and mid-grade currently, but this didn't happen until I was almost through the whole tank of gas. Whatever it is, I hope it stays like this! :-) Just when I thought it couldn't be much more fun to drive. And with rallycross coming up, the timing was nice too. LOL

Joe_Black
02/19/2004, 04:19 PM
Your PV is probably starting to mellow finally. Mine took about 2 months and now I really like the sound. You should've heard it on the test runs for the RX course! I've always run my 3.2/3.5 Isuzus on mid-grade with good results. My 2.6 didn't like regular AT ALL. I figure for a few pennies more, what the heck!;Do;

Chopper
02/19/2004, 04:26 PM
I have always used 93 Sonoco Amaco or Shell. It has known nothing else. Synth all around since the begining too. If you love it(I do ) treat it that way My 2 cents----

Chopper
02/19/2004, 04:30 PM
O.K. Amoco... sounds like three, that's a record for me. See ya there.

Joe_Black
02/21/2004, 03:16 PM
There is now a page for currently registered entrants for those interested: FMR Entrants (http://www.planetarydomination.com/Rally/CurrentEntries.htm)

Chopper
02/21/2004, 03:24 PM
Hey Joe, what time are you gonna start playing???

Joe_Black
02/21/2004, 07:13 PM
EVENT FLYER (http://www.planetarydomination.com/Rally/images/FMR030604.pdf)