PDA

View Full Version : Oil in my INTAKE?! WTF?!

coachreed
01/11/2004, 04:55 PM
As you know, I have been carefully dissassembling my motor... one piece at a time with my plans to install a different motor... I was looking at things today and realized that there are puddles of oil in my intake manifold! WTF is up with that? I mean, I see NO reason for oil to be in there... HOW does this happen? Am I wrong to think that this isn't normal? If not, its really gonna piss me off that the warranty company refused to even look at the damn thing... not that I want their crappy motor in there... just pisses me off. Whatayathink?!

TTYL!

vx queen
01/11/2004, 06:24 PM
Rings, valves, valve guides etc can cause oil to be blown back into the intake manifold, I've seen that on another blown VX engine.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/11/2004, 07:48 PM
There's a possibility of oil coming in through the pcv line or valve cover breather line. Did you have an oilable air filter on it?

Navigator
01/11/2004, 08:45 PM
...A failure of the PCV can cause an oil backup into the intake :yes:

The PCV is a small often over looked device that is essential in reduction of emmisions and fuel economy.

MrCrowley
01/12/2004, 04:06 AM
Inless something else is wrong, it is from the PCV valve. This is the same reason you can buy catch cans that remove most of that gunk. Its part of the wonderful emission system! It doesnt require a failure to do so- it is just from the vapor and gasses from the engine

autox-racer
01/12/2004, 05:34 AM
i would say it is from the pvc ... but was caused by the rod getting hot from the knock/hammering on the crank. I have seen rods turn blue and smoke any oil around that area. the entire crank case has oil on it but that one rod is dry because of the extreme heat.

so it probably smoked some oil and the pvc system could not keep up with all the oil/smoke and it puddled in the intake.

coachreed
01/12/2004, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the input guys... good explanation... I hope to get the motor out today... but not sure I care to pop it open anytime soon. Once the motor is out, I need to roll her out and clean the garage floor.. don't like laying in dust, dirt, rust and vehicular bodily fluids... later on when I get a chance... I'll pop it open and post some pictures. Anyway... thanks again.

Randy!

VX922
01/13/2004, 06:10 PM
What is the possibility of lover part of the intake gasket leak? That would suck oil into intake.

coachreed
01/14/2004, 07:10 PM
Nope... the only place the lower intake touches the motor is at the intake ports of the heads... not likely to get oil in that way... I have pictures of the intake in my "Phase I" post (will be posted next... so check it out...) Anyway... looks like a lot of oil has been in there for quite awhile... its actually kinda sludged on there. Aynway... check it out... BTW VX922... you kinda disappeared... I hope you stick around for this conversion I am doing... I'm sure we can talk shop along the way.

TTYL!