PDA

View Full Version : 20X8.5 American Racing Rims?

TDAWG
01/11/2004, 10:57 AM
1 of my boys just gave me his 20X8.5 AR HYPE Rims from his TROOPER due to getting 24's. Now he told me that they have an 8 off-set but he didn't have problems so he thinks I wont. But seeing as how we have a 38 off-set I wondering maybe I would. I talked to american racing and they told me that there is no way a 20 can fit our vehicle so I had to inform her that I have a set of Diablo MACHO 22X9 on them in the summer. I talked to a tech there and he said that if there is a 20 or 22 on there then they should fit with no problem. So I decided to come as the VX GODS for their great wisdom and knowledge on this. So great VX GODS and GODDESSES please give me your wisdom and knowledge on this subject :bwgy:

TDAWG
01/11/2004, 10:58 AM
Here's a pic of what they look like.

Daver
01/11/2004, 03:54 PM
The offset does matter when comparing a Trooper wheel to a VX wheel.

If they fit on the trooper, then they'll go on a VX. The question is the front fenders. Will you be able to turn with these wheels (and whatever tires you choose)?

Here's the calculations:

(width/2)- offset is how far the outer edge of the rim will stick out from the hub. This leads you to the circumference of the circle your wheels turn in.

stock: (7" / 2) - (+38mm) = 3.5" - (38mm * 1"/25.4mm) = 2"
mine: (8" / 2) - (+10mm) = 4" - (10mm * 1"/25.4mm) = 3.6"
yours: (8.5" / 2) - (+8mm) = 4.25" - (8mm * 1"/25.4mm) = 4"

This means your wheels will stick out 2" more than the stock wheels. On our VX, that's a lot, but workable. You'll need pretty low profile tires not to rub the front fenders at stock suspension height.

Whether they will work or not depends on the tires, and the overall circumference of the wheel plus tire.

My tires have a overall circumference of 30.5", and I only had to trim the front fender a little bit at stock suspension height. Since your's stick out more than mine, I'd say don't try tires more than 30" in circumference. Stock tire circumference is about 29.5".

Figuring low profile tires on 20"x8.5" wheels, I'm thinking tires sized around 265/45R20 *might* work. Going lower profile would obviously be more likely to work, but would also leave more space between the fender and the top of the tire. Wouldn't look ideal. 275/40R20 might be another size to try.

-Daver

PS Do keep in mind that this is all guesswork. Only way to be sure those tires fit is to have an installer try them. Typically this is not possible for ordered tires, so find a place that has them in stock and will do a test fitting.

Tone
01/11/2004, 04:23 PM
It will rub on the front for sure and probably on the rear of the fender well.

coachreed
01/11/2004, 04:52 PM
My best friend just got the same wheel in a an 18" for her Amigo... she just received them, so she hasn't had them mounted up yet... but damn they are good looking IMO. If/when you mount them up, make sure you post a picture... heck, I'd like to see a picture of your VX with 22's! Post it!

TTYL!

phant0m-je$ter
01/11/2004, 04:52 PM
Tony - I live in RI as well and I've seen your truck at Pep Boys. You've seen my 2001 Proton VX as well - as I was pulling out of there. Not sure if you noticed, but the wheels on my VX are 20x9 Helo Spec chrome. Tires are 285/50-20.

They will fit - but you have to crank the torsion bars about 3.5 turns per side, and take a hack saw to the INNER part of the front bumper on the cladding. You will also have to remove one of the bolts that holds the side cladding on and sand that down a little as well. All said and done - it's a pretty tight fit and I get some rub from time to time....

I can swing down to Pep Boys on my lunch one day if you want to show you what's up. I work in Garden City so I'm not too far off.

-Rob

VXMAN
01/12/2004, 10:38 AM
TDAWG, how's things? I've been visiting here once-in-a-while but not much postings lately. Anyway, if you end up putting these new rims on, let me know about your old set! If you still have the same rims on that I saw when we all went to the Sun, I like them alot. BTW, what size are your current rims?
Dave...

Cyrk
01/12/2004, 10:41 AM
TDAWG got any photos with your 22's on?
-Dave

TDAWG
01/13/2004, 06:28 PM
Hey Guys and Girls I haven't stopped by in awhile since posting this up so sorry I didn't read this sooner to answer back. I never got around to taking some pics of my Diablo Macho 22X9 Rims but I will make sure I do that this spring or summer maybe after I put on my 20's as well. Hey Phantom-Jester (Rob) that would be great. I just sent you an e-mail. I saw yours that 1 time if you need anything stop by and ask for me at the parts counter. Hey VXMAN (Dave) those Rims you saw on my VX the last time are still the ones I use all the time for my Winter rims. They are Konig NR-n 16X8's with Mickey Thompson BAJA Belted 32X11.5 tires. I still got the factory 16's with the stock tires in great shape in my cellar if your interested in those. I ask one of the guys in the service department that's a wiz on what fits and asked him. He told me that since factory rims and tires are 245/70R16 29.5" that a 295/40R20 would sit at 29.3" and should be no problem. He asked me what I'm runnin now and I told him 32X11.5" and he said why worry those are smaller then what I got.

Daver
01/14/2004, 09:53 AM
"why worry?"

Because of the offset of course.

-Daver

TDAWG
01/14/2004, 08:02 PM
hey daver funny you should say that cuz I kept thinking about it but as of right now I can't even remember the off set of the NR-N rims. I even went to konigs site and can't get the off set from them. I emailed them and nothing except that they are a disconituned rim.

Daver
01/15/2004, 10:47 AM
Best thing I can recommend if finding a place that has the 295/40R20 in stock. Many places will do a free test fit if they have the tire in stock.

295/40R20 (29.3") doesn't sound tooo extreme. I'd say the chances are good that even at that new offset they'd fit. Probably need to trim the corners of the front fenders in front of the tires a little.

Only a test-fit can say for sure. Every truck sits different, so sometimes something that works for one won't work for another also.

Good luck,
-Daver

Eckstream
01/26/2004, 10:53 PM
You still got those factory 16's? I need some for a good set of off roadin tires......

TDAWG
01/27/2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah I still have the stock 16's. The wifey wants me to get rid of them. They still have great tread on them. I would guess since I bought my VX with 4669 miles on it that those are the factory tires. The 1st thing I did when I got my VX was change the rims. My poor garage and cellar are starting to look like a Off-Road sop with all the Parts and rims I got for my VX.

Eckstream
01/27/2004, 09:52 AM
Well looks like I know where my tax return will be going...... How much you want for em?

MZ-N10
01/27/2004, 11:20 AM
kinda late but how much did those 20s cost? and wat tires do u have on them?

Well looks like I know where my tax return will be going...... How much you want for em?

lmao
________
Live Sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)