PDA

View Full Version : Tensioner assembly

Randy
01/10/2004, 02:19 PM
Well I'm in the middle of trying to change my timing belt and can't get the serpentine belt tensioner assembly off. The manual says there are two bolts holding it on, but it won't budge.

Anybody have any experience here?

Randy

SGT.BATGUANO
01/10/2004, 03:47 PM
As posted previously, you don't need to remove the tensioner to remove the belt. Just grab and tug it and slip it off a pulley, then there should be enough slack to remove it. Installation should be in reverse order. If that doesn't do it, try putting a socket and ratchet on the tensioner pulley nut and turn the nut as you would to tighten (clockwise) . That should? relieve the tension.

Randy
01/10/2004, 04:17 PM
I'm replacing the timing belt, not the serpentine belt. The tensioner assembly needs to come off so that I can remove the timing belt housing pieces. The timing belt is under those three housing pieces. Understand the belt I'm referring to runs the overhead cams in timing with the crankshaft. Not the belt that drives, alternator, power steering, AC, etc.

By the way, while at it, I am also replacing the serpentine belt.

Update.... I found that an allen bolt goes through the center of the tensioner. I got it off!

Randy

migil
01/11/2004, 10:54 AM
Randy,

Could you please share with us details on how you did it once you get it replaced? Thanks in advance

Heraclid
01/11/2004, 08:30 PM
Wow, just noticed you two are from Jupiter and Coral Springs... when we get the next meet rescheduled at Joe's place, by all means drop by if you can - glad to see the Florida bunch growing! :-)

migil
01/12/2004, 07:49 AM
:o It's quite embarrasing to admit I knew about all the last meetings but I couldn't attend any for different reasons...

As far as I know, there are many more VXers in South Florida than those showing their face here.