PDA

View Full Version : My VX is Freezing! Block heater?

valenki
01/10/2004, 12:46 PM
Hello to all the happy VX'ers. hAPPY NEw yEAR!@

Today in the morning the temperature was like -15 F here in MA.
DAM!!! living in Siberia!

My poor baby VX was frozen . When I got in and started it, I had 3/4 tank of gas, and when I started driving after it warmed up, it was below 1/2 ., I've noticed that my fuel economy went down 20-30% during the frozen days., Do you guys think it's a good idea to install a block heater. ? Please help me and give our commynity some ideas, maybe some of you have already installed it?

Does it work of the battery of off of the AC extension?

Thankst to everyones input

SGT.BATGUANO
01/10/2004, 03:31 PM
Block heater couldn't hurt. I'm a fan of the pulsating tank-type heaters that install in the heater hose. They actively circulate water through the block, instead of using radiant or gravity to spread heat, like a freeze plug heater.

In theory, you shouldn't be using a lot of fuel, since it should only take 15-20 minutes for the engine to reach normal operating temp.

You could always try the old "put a piece of cardboard in front of the grill trick" to block or partially block the airflow through the radiator, to make it warmer.

You won't find one that operates off the battery. They use too many watts. At least 500. Dipstick heaters are pretty worthless too.

AlaskaVX
01/12/2004, 03:14 PM
If you can remember to plug your VX in then a block heater would be a good idea, but I don't think it will do much for your fuel economy. We just had a week of -15--20 weather and man the first time you step on the pedal the VX will put a cloud into the air, almost a smoke screen if someones behind you. LOL. I have found that by letting it idle for about 8-10 min. the first time you step on it you will get "the cloud" but then it warms up pretty quick. I am only seeing 10mpg-200 per tank now that its cold (and letting it warm up w/autostart), hope your seeing better then that! Is it real sluggish for you when cold? If what SGT BATGUANO suggested isn't much more $ than the block heater then I would go with that since I hardly/don't notice a difference (in warming up) from the block heater.

psychos2
01/12/2004, 05:51 PM
yes your engine comes up to temp. but the colder the air you take in the more fuel you have to put with it .so lower mpg. shawn

driver3
01/13/2004, 06:58 AM
My gas guage always shows 1/2 tank when it's cold outside... I still have a full one, it just shows funny readings. Also the BRAKE idiot light is always on when it's cold. Anyway, fill up the tank and I bet you see that you're not using as much gas as you think.

AlaskaVX
01/13/2004, 02:40 PM
My guage reads fine, I know since last time I pulled into a gas station I ran out of gas and rolled up to the pump ;eekr;

As for the brake light I remember that happened to me once, turned out I was low on brake fluid.