PDA

View Full Version : drilled vs. sloted

Andrey
01/08/2004, 07:07 PM
hi,

I went to a dealer today on issue of shock absorbers in the back and after they refused to replace them I was told that my rear breakes are almost gone :freek:
so, at the light of upcoming pads replacement I wanted to upgrade to new rotors. I've seen on ebay sloted and cross-drilled and combination. Can anybody advise please on what is the difference and which is better for beloved VX :heart:

many thanx !

johnnyapollo
01/08/2004, 07:55 PM
The combination is probably best. They each do something different to make the brakes work better, cooler and with greather consistency. There's been a lot of talk about it in past threads. Try doing a search for brake rotor.

-- Best, John

Cyrk
01/08/2004, 08:38 PM
I have slotted Rotors on mine, when doing my research I read that cross drilled can weakened the rotor and can crack sometimes, where as a slot would cool the rotor with out weakening it. But who knows for sure.

I do not think you can go wrong either way, plus they all look great.

-Dave

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39side_brakes.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39rear_brakes.jpg

SGT.BATGUANO
01/09/2004, 12:23 AM
One of the sellers on epay states that slots are more for hi-perf use because the slots scrape the pads to continually provide a fresh surface, and that this action requires more frequent pad replacement. Also, posted on this site someone found drilled rotors that have radiused hole edges, which are supposed to minimize the heat stress cracks associated with rotors that have a squared edge at the holes.

Seems to make sense.

Eckstream
01/09/2004, 12:36 AM
I had cross drilled rotors on my 95 camaro z28 and they were the best thing i bought for it..... Had em on for about 3 yrs with no cracking or any major wear considering I drove really fast. Mine had dimples on the surface and was coated with something... I recommend EBC GREENSTUFF pads and braided brake lines too when you make the change... Either way you go you win Less wear Better brake feel Added safety... And its easy enough to do yourself. Where were the rotors on ebay... I havent seen any

SGT.BATGUANO
01/09/2004, 12:59 AM
The rotors I referred to are not on there now, but they pop up from time to time. It was a vendor who sells Brembo rotors.

Eckstream
01/09/2004, 01:20 AM
Cool thanx..... Ill have to keep my eye out for em. How much were they? My local wheel shop can get them for $125/ea front and $110/ea rear. If I can get them cheaper Ill wait

joe-yamma
01/09/2004, 05:37 AM
When the front rotors were shot on my wife's VW Jetta, I found a VW shop that sold the "Power Slot" rotors for a good price, so I tried them. I must say that they are pretty good. Increased stopping power, better feel, and not a noticable change in pad wear (they I can tell).
I can tell you one thing: They stop a heck of a lot better than the stock ones do in wet conditions!

Joe

Cyrk
01/09/2004, 06:10 AM
Those are Power Slots on mine.

joe-yamma
01/09/2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Cyrk
Those are Power Slots on mine.
Sweet! Hey Cyrk, how much do those run for the VX?

Joe

Cyrk
01/09/2004, 06:24 AM
Got my Power Slot rotors here for about 306 bucks with free S/H last year here:

http://truckperformance.com/products/?searchtype=4d&sortorder=A&urlsubcategory=Brakes&productcategory=Rotors%2FPads&sf1=ISUZU&sf2=1999&sf3=Vehicross

autox-racer
01/09/2004, 06:31 AM
i would recommend the slotted rotors based on my racing experience. cross drilled have been around for decades but they do weaken the rotor... probably not a issue on a street car but why take the risk? Race car rotors are replaced regularly so not an issue for them. Plus proper crossed drilled rotors(eg porsche) are designed for structural integrity unlike the stuff you see on the market for vehicles like ours.

If you have access to a mill, then slotted are very easy to make. The groove does not have to be very deep to let water/hot gases escape. The holes/grooves have a few functions.. to increase “bite” for the edge of the pad to grip and to also let out water in the rain and hot gasses created during very heavy braking. Those barriers reduce the coefficient of friction quite a bit. Crossed drilled rotors have an added benefit of reduced thermal and rotational mass… which have little effect on our SUV.

So if I were to do anything to my rotors it would be grooves because I would hate to step on the brakes and have a rotor go away… I think I would rather just put bigger brakes on the VX if I was concerned with my brake performance…. Our rotors just look too small in the 18"... Brembo anyone? :)

Cyrk
01/09/2004, 06:36 AM
Also while your under the VX might want to slap these on...
Stainless Steel Braided Brake lines I need to install them on the rear, have front ones that I got from N1 installed and they made a nice difference. I also got some Racing pads from N1 when he was around.

http://darlington-offroad.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$5SF3OUYAAA50NTZENUFJPQWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=534357%7C1134065&PRID=1194461

-Dave

Tone
01/09/2004, 08:19 AM
Any of you who HAVE upgraded, how about sharing some data about the improvement like stopping distances from 60, etc - or has their only been a nominal improvement?

Cyrk
01/09/2004, 08:23 AM
I would not say the improvment is huge, but I really feel that it stops shorter and once the pads heat up the bite is allot better...

Also it looks hella cool

Not sure how I can test it, any ideas?