PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

XCross69
01/07/2004, 09:46 AM
Is the head gasket covered under extended warranty if it needs to be replaced? Anyonw how much it cost to get it done.....I was just quoted around $315.00???

Navigator
01/07/2004, 09:52 AM
...But the worst extended warantees. I've yet to see a plan where it was not. Just take it in for service and let them sort it out. You really can't sleep on a blown head gasket, get that fixed ASAP.

Hotsauce
01/07/2004, 03:23 PM
$315?? You'll be more than that in parts. I'd bet its at least 10 hours book time. The timing belt needs to come off, intake and exhaust manifolds, all related belts and gaskets replaced, water pump should be done at this time too.

I'd bet its $1,500.00 at least.

John C.

XCross69
01/07/2004, 05:16 PM
OK, here is what I am told should be fixed on my VX.
1. Plenum Gasket (sp?)
2. Intake Gaskets (2)
3. EGR Gasket

It did have a small exhaust leak that has been fixed!! These are also, I am told, cause-n the VX to idle up and down when I first start it, and also cause-n some of the black smuck on the passenger muffler tip.

Very long story short, I have to take it to the original dealer,where I bought it, due to the warranty and they have to fix it. They aren't the ones that told me the above problems and they can't look at it until this friday;-( But gee they say its ok to drive??? I am not engine smart but I wouldn' t think drive-n it would be all that good for it, the bad part is its my only car and I drive a good 60mls every day to work....whats one to do??? I also don't really want this dealership to fix it....just a vibe I get when I am talk-n to em...but I done had it out with the warranty people and they say do to the contract they have to be the ones to fix it? Will be glad when this is all done and I HOPE everything gets fixed right!

Hotsauce
01/07/2004, 05:59 PM
The plemum gasket is between the upper and lower manifold. The intake is between the lower intake and head. Both commonly fail on isuzu's. the egr gasket is an easy 5 min fix(mine has failed twice).

John C.

SGT.BATGUANO
01/07/2004, 07:02 PM
Did you get your warranty from that dealership? Most warranties are not specific to a certain dealer doing repairs. You should be able to take it to any Isuzu dealer or any ASE certified shop. What would happen if you were say, on vacation 1200 miles from home and had a warrantable problem? Would they come 1200 miles to bring it another 1200 miles back to your dealer? Or tell you that you have to get your broken vehicle back 1200 miles, to that specific dealer? Probably not.

XCross69
01/07/2004, 08:01 PM
My warranty says if I am within 40 miles of the dealer than that dealer has to fix it. The place i want to have fix it is about 2 miles from the dealer??!!