PDA

View Full Version : Off road capable SUV with some luxury?

IsuZOOM
01/06/2004, 08:35 PM
I've been considering getting a second SUV for my daily trudging to work and for light camping and off road duty. I could probably go up to $30,000 at the most, but that'd be pushing it. All I can find that fits that criteria is the Land Rover Discovery and the MB ML320. Any others you think I should consider?

MZ-N10
01/06/2004, 08:50 PM
toyota RAV4 or honda CRV the most kick arse suv EVAR!!

i dont think u can get a discovery or a mb new for 30k....
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

SPAZZ
01/06/2004, 08:54 PM
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

How bout a 2nd VX????

IsuZOOM
01/06/2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by MZ-N10

i dont think u can get a discovery or a mb new for 30k.... Thanks, but neither of those are remotely luxurious :D I don't need brand new, a year or two old is perfectly fine with me.

MZ-N10
01/06/2004, 09:45 PM
infinity fx....vw tourguen(sp?)...4 runner...land cruiser....lexus rx...x5....envoy...
________
condos in Jomtien (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Joe_Black
01/07/2004, 05:32 AM

Not even! No frame, no guts and car based. Mind you, they're cute little urban runners with some weather traction, but that's about it.

As for a second SUV, we've got an '01 Trooper we picked up at Carmax in '02 with less than 7K miles for only $17K. I think '02 was the last year for the Trooper in the US, so you should find some great end-of-lease deals. Plus, when it comes time to maintenance it shares virtually everything with your VX! I'm not a big fan of lift-backs but you could look at the Axiom as well, which is all Trooper underneath the new skin.

Just don't Disco!;eekg;

Navigator
01/07/2004, 05:44 AM
...Get an off lease Trooper. Being almost totally interchangeble with the VX parts wise is a definate plus :yes: I've seen 99' Trooper's sell for under $10k.

Dallas4u
01/07/2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Joe_Black

Just don't Disco!;eekg;

I'll agree that the Trooper would be a good buy, but I've known a few people who have been very happy with there newer Discoverys. I think the older models are the ones that gave them a bad wrap (damn British electronics!).

I would definitely look at a newer model Trooper.

sveltax
01/07/2004, 07:44 AM
A used or new Axiom should fit the bill as well.

Loose the stock ICS system and tires and you've got a capable 4x4. I have a 2wd, if I had a 4x4 I'd get into trouble!

MrCrowley
01/07/2004, 10:03 AM
1. Go look at a Subaru Forester XT before EVER considering RAV or CRV. Safer, 5.3 0-60, more power, better awd, etc.
2. old rovers are good FORD Rovers suck (all new ones)
3. Ive had 3 troopers and a VX. no complaints whatsoever. All capable.

Dallas4u
01/07/2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by MrCrowley
2. old rovers are good FORD Rovers suck (all new ones)

I thought it was the other way around? Old Rovers had TONS of problems, and were ALWAYS in the shop. Heck, my brother had a '95 Disco, and it had an electronic problem that NO dealer could figure out.

I'd give a thumbs up to the Forester, or even a WRX... if that was what he was looking for. Subaru doesn't have much "luxury" to them, but they make great cars no doubt.

MZ-N10
01/07/2004, 10:44 PM

tat was a joke...
________
AsiansXX (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/AsiansXX/)

Heraclid
01/08/2004, 03:21 PM
Dude, no... the Suzuki X-90 RULES!!! :-)

colmhd
01/09/2004, 04:25 PM
I had discovery once....just once ,,never again.
Lousy back up and unless they've fixed the seals problem, lookout for a lot of leakage and oil on the brakes and everywhere else in the engine compartment.
Go for something else...

yal^
01/09/2004, 04:58 PM
Honestly, MB is not that good. Well, for wheeling is not good at all. I drove one for a year. It was "scared" of curbs, that I won't mention deeper holes in the road. And I constantly had this feeling, that if I push it a bit more on the off ramp it's gonna rollover. It's a good, reliable car for a family, comfortable for every day driving, but I wouldn't take it off road...

NC_VX
01/10/2004, 07:22 AM
I know I heard wheelin in the first question, however, those Nissan Morano's are sweet. I don't know if they come in 4 wheel drive, but I took one around and they have excellent handling, leather, instrument column, looks, etc.... And its 4 door. I would go with another VX, but I think 4 door is a luxary that is needed.

The Morano, but I don't know if you can get under 30, maybe last years model, but I think those are a hot ticket item....

Apostle
01/10/2004, 07:40 AM
just got done looking at the morano (off the nissan website) they dont have cup holders either

johnnyapollo
01/10/2004, 07:42 AM
We seriously considered a Murano late last year to replace the 4Runner. I found it fast and it does have a good mix of luxury/functionality. On the flip side, it's really more of a modified station wagon than an off-road vehicle. If you want something that handles well in bad weather and has some luxury and quickness (loved the CVT), the Murano could easily fit the bill. For a bit more $$ the FX45 is much nicer (esp with the V8) but it was out of our price range.

If you are looking for an actual truck that has some luxury options I can't think of anything in your price range that would work. If price wasn't an option, the Toyota Landcruiser (and Infiniti equivalent) blows everything away. Second to that would be the Range Rover. I've personally had bad experiences with the Rover products from the last 15 years or so (I'm not sure about the new "Ford" products). Most other SUVs that we looked at were basically station wagons with AWD/limited 4WD.

We ended up buying a Toyota Highlander - really a station wagon and not a truck. It had a good mix of luxury/performance/looks and was more economical than the Lexus version (330). It foot the bill for my girl friend who is in real estate (she was driving the 4Runner and the manual tranny plus lift made it difficult to show properties). We looked at a lot of vehicles including most of those listed above, both new and used. With the incentives Toyota was providing the Highlander won hands-down for our needs.

-- Best, John

(of course I do miss the 4Runner - that beast could do a lot! It just didn't meet the need, plus we have the VX for "fun"!).

crager34
01/10/2004, 08:57 AM
Luxury....four wheeling....camping....power...around town....etc.

How about a VX, with Tone's hitch, and then tow a small, lifted trailer (simular to what U-haul has).

There are pro's and con's to all ideas here. Now, do you think you will find everything you want in one auto? Probably not...