PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Price

pcotton3
01/06/2004, 06:11 AM
Well, I suppose my introduction may be a little different. I don't own a VX...yet! There is one at the local dealer that I want to buy, but I was hoping to get some direction from some member here before I take the plunge.

The vehicle that I am looking at is a '99 with almost 64 thousand miles. Other than the miles being higher than I would like, the vehicle is in fantastic shape. The dealer wants almost $12 thousand and according to the blue book, that's about right.

So, should I be afraid of the mileage? This will be an every day vehicle for me, so I really need dependability.

>>> I wanted to avoid getting a tremendous amount of replies plugging up the Introduction Thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=5) so I moved this post to here.. Please, when you have a chance, post your intro without an active question. BTW, WELCOM!!!....WSG

VXcaver
01/07/2004, 07:29 AM
Welcome mr pcotton. I've had my 99 for a year and a half. I'm just under 60k, but I've put 25k trouble-free miles on it. Its a daily driver for me as well, and not a single problem. You might check out some of the threads on oil consumption and see what you can do to get the engine checked carefully. I think the oil consumption issue is fairly uncommon, but when it strikes its pretty devistating.

Triathlete
01/07/2004, 08:40 AM
I have had my 99 for about 2 years. It now has over 70000 everyday driver miles on it. These are definately not pampered miles (VXCAVER can atest to this). Other than normal oil changes I have had a problem free vehicle. Good luck in your purchase and ownership. You will be hooked forever once you get in it!:naughty:

Navigator
01/07/2004, 08:55 AM
... $12K is a bargain even at the mileage quoted. Have it inspected by a mechanic you trust, then test it yourself BEFORE you buy. Try out all the seats, get a good feel of the stock suspension, it's hard, the VX is all sport so do not expect luxury. Also expect POOR gas mileage, and by POOR I mean the beast is a hungry high performance true SUV not a fancy all weather fuel sipping grocery cart. And rear visibility over the spare tire takes some getting used to. With all that said, go for it :thumbup:

BuffArchitect
01/07/2004, 10:10 AM
I, was in your situation in September. I had a choice between a 00 Ironman with 48k, a 99 Ebony with 32k and a 00 Silver with about 46k. They were all priced around $15,500. I opted for the 99 because it appeared to be pampered and had the least mileage. I negotiated down to $14,500 (big whoopee!) plus a new remote and alarm. I doubt I could have gotten the other two that cheaply.

My only regret about not getting the 00's is that they have the extended warranty and the larger tires.

I use mine every day for work but have alternatives (the "El" here in Chicago, friends, skipping work). Mine has been completely reliable for the 3 + months I've owned it. It was especially reliable in our recent snowstorm when many other SUV's and cars were stuck in snowplow drifts. The only problem I've had is the usual window problem (fixed myself) and some idiot dinged the drivers door.

Good luck. Go for it but negotiate hard.