PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case questions...

coachreed
01/05/2004, 06:05 PM
I talked to Rob at Advance Adaptors today about my conversion I am SERIOUSLY considering. I have to compile some info and will return to the internet to do my own research, but wanted to pose the question(s) here in case anyone else has info to offer...

First off... does anyone know the spline count of the TOD transfer case?

Second... does anyone know the bolt pattern of said TOD transfer case?

The answer to these two questions would tell me if the transfer case could just be adapted with factory/stock parts. If the transfer case has a 27 spline (I think that's what he said... left my notes at work! DOH!) count and a "round" six-bolt bolt pattern? If so, the transfer can be adapted EASILY. If not, it will be time to ask MORE questions of Rob.

Next... anyone have the torque ratings of the TOD transfer case? Will it handle the torque that a LS1 and 4L60E will dish out? Or, will it just blow up?! I know that ONE of my LS1 Trans Am's put 310 RWHP and 324 lbs/ft torque... completely stock. Not sure exactly what that figures at the crank, but I'm sure its well over 345hp and somewhere around the same on the torque number.

OK... more questioins... Dimensions... anyone know the amount of space between the frame rails of the VX? Or, does anyone know the width of the 3.5L motor? Rob said that they can't fit the LS1 into the Toyota's because the LS1 is nearly two inches wider than an older SBC. I guess if it were close, I could trust my welder to channel the frame a little if needed... but hopefully we don't need to go there.

One more... I think I know the answer to this one though. In the event that I have to dump the TOD transfer case... Rob wanted to know the offset of the front axle... the differential housing is offset the the right (passenger side), right?

Alright... I'm off to a long night of research... I have to find this info in a hurry... I have my eyes on a motor/tranny combo that has EVERYTHING I need... don't want to let it slip by if this is gonna be the route to go.

BTW, I found out why Advance Adaptors has a disclaimer saying that they no longer support Isuzu Trooper conversions... Rob actually let out a sigh when I told him what vehicle I was working with. Aparently, Isuzu was regularly changing the spacing and layout of the drivetrain... he said you could compare TWO trucks produced within a week or so of one another and they would have DIFFERENT tranny and transfer case spacing. I guess that caused some problems and so they threw in the towel. lol

Anywho... I'll be online... researching... if anyone wants to talk shop and is using AIM, drop me an IM at GiveWedgie. I'll TTYL!

coachreed
01/05/2004, 06:26 PM
Oh, another qestion and also some fairly exciting info I have found so far. First off... question... Is the rear output a slip yoke or not? One of the first pages I have found shows MOST of the TOD units to be 27 spline input and output AND a few of the K1500 series trucks show...

K Series 1500

(electric shift) 27 spline front input, rear slip output three wire indicator fixed front output yoke 4L60E Trans.

and

Trooper

behind 4L30E only (electric or vacuum shift) 27 spline front input shaft

Not sure if that means anything for sure, but its a step in the right direction. There were a few that said something about a 32 spline input but those were all with a different transmission (4L80E or other).

OK, back to research... I'll be back to jot down more notes. TTFN!

Coach!

coachreed
01/27/2004, 06:33 AM
I thought I'd post a link to a thread I have going on over at LS1Tech... talking about transfer case options... if your intersted in checking it out here's (http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1007772#post1007772) the link. If you don't care to go read it... basically, I found out from ONE member that the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pickup trucks use a 4L60E transmission (same as I plan to use) and have a right hand output front prop shaft (same as WE have)... well, another member chimed in to add that the transfer case in the Colorado/Canyon may be hard to come by and that its under the name Isuzu T150! This is added on top of the fact that I had a Colorado pickup truck come through our shop the other night for some stereo work... I couldn't help but to slide under the truck and check out the transfer case... funny thing is... it looked almost exactly like our TOD unit! Same downward angle... and it didn't look any bigger (longer reach) than the TOD. The prop shaft just cleared the oil pan which is what I was thinking would happen if I could mate the TOD unit... how's this for a crazy idea... IF the Isuzu T150 T-case and the TOD unit look soo much alike, what are the chances that the actual T-case housings are the same? if they are the same, what are the chances that they have the same tranmission to transfer case adaptor plate configuratoin? Now I have to go find a decent Chevrolet or GMC dealer who is willing to do some parts searching for me... maybe the parts books have a picture of the adaptor plate... something I can compare it to. Anyway, I may be getting overly optimistic, but I am EXCITED! ;Db; ;pb; I think I'm gonna go find a dealer TODAY to start asking questions.

TTYL!

Coach!

coachreed
01/27/2004, 01:22 PM
I slipped the transfer case onto the output shaft of the transmission... fits fine... except that the length of the output shaft of a two wheel drive vehicle is TOO long... I have to purchase the 4x4 output shaft and have it installed... I have been pointed in this direction before I even touched the transmission by one of our members. Thanks St. Batguano... you are indeed right. I have found that I will need this output shaft for my conversion. Now... to buy the shaft used off of eBay ($35ish) or buy a NEW one from GMPartsDirect.com ($69)... hmmmm... I wonder if there is much that can be wrong with one of these...

Anyway, back to the internet... more research needed. BTW, I am close to test fitting the motor to the VX... I think I might do a motor ONLY test fit tomorrow. I have to get a different chain for the hoist though... its too long and I don't want to cut the chain down as its not mine... getting closer!

TTYL!

Randy!