PDA

View Full Version : headlight gasket question

Bagheera
01/03/2004, 10:03 AM
It's waaaay to cold out here to silicone in the gaskets that have come out about half way (I have tucked them inside under the hood right now). Can I pull them both right out and do it properly when it's warmer....is this going to cause any problems or are the gaskets purely a cosmetic thing?

Thanks again!
~Kiersten

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/03/2004, 11:00 AM
Howdy Kiersten!

The main function of those gaskets appears to be preventing the "whistling" sound you're going to hear due to the air-flow around the headlights/between hood as you are driving. Personally, I would recommend that you put the VX in a somewhat warm garage (@ least around 50-60 deg) and apply the silicone and let dry overnight. I think it would be much more work to totally remove the seals and later on wrestle with reinstalling them.

johnnyapollo
01/03/2004, 12:53 PM
They also effectively keep dust, dirt and moisture from entering the engine compartment around the lighting area.

A better method is to actually take your headlights out (not difficult to do - a couple of bolts) and apply trim adhesive (It comes in black - buy from Pep Boys). If you take out the lights, you'll get a better bond and can get them to look "factory." I did not remove my lights and there are gaps around the lens/trim that could look way better.

-- John

Bagheera
01/07/2004, 01:49 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys!

Here's another question about the gaskets....I JUST got my clear headlight covers in the mail (too many flying rocks on our roads out here) sooooo I am not sure, but I think I may have to remove a part of the gasket to get the covers to slip into place?

Anyone have these covers on their VX?

Many thanks again for your replies ;)

~Kiersten

Joe_Black
01/07/2004, 06:08 PM
I'll second John's post as I recently removed both headlights, cleaned & scuffed the gasket mounting area and re-glued with 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. Good as new and sticking tight!

SGT.BATGUANO
01/07/2004, 06:48 PM
You might have to loosen or possibly remove the front cladding to get the covers on. Another option is to apply some silicone LUBRICANT to the cover tab that goes below the headlight and shimmy (read FORCE) the lower cover tab inward. If it's a real tight fit, the cover may actually scratch or gouge the softer cladding plastic. Once the lower tab is fully inserted, all that's left is to clip the cover over the top of the headlight housing and/or re-tighten/ reinstall front cladding.