PDA

View Full Version : Mod Q's (Muffler & Seat Extensions)

mlepisto
01/02/2004, 11:29 PM
So, I just picked up my VX today- when could be a better time to start shopping, but I have some questions, both of which apply to the parts from tonemonday.com:

1. Muffler - Is there a noticable difference in power? What about noise level? Is it just the muffler only, or a bolt on kit with the flange and tail pipe? Anyone have an audio clip online?

2. Pass. Seat extensions - I'm assuming this is to allow the front passenger seat to move further forward and allow an adult (or child above 50lb) to enter the back seat in some reasonable fashion. Am I right? I couldn't find any description anywhere. Anyone have some pros/cons from a kit installed?

Thanks & Happy New Year,
Mika

Tone
01/03/2004, 08:02 AM
A have few PSs left as well as 2 sets of seat extentions - email me and I can send you the dyno run clips.

johnnyapollo
01/03/2004, 10:21 AM
I've been using Tone's brackets since shortly after he first offered them (over a month now). For the most part, they work as intended, moving the seat position 4.5 inches forward of its stock position. This enables passengers to more easily fold the passenger seat forward to access the back seating area. After much deliberation, I believe I am going to remove the brackets and go back to the original/stock seat position.

Although the seats do allow better access to the rear seats, 95% of the time I only carry a single passenger (my girlfriend). She is 5'8" and has been complaining about the new seat position. Even at full extension rearward, her knees barely clear the glove box/dash area (about 2") so she feels really uncomfortable and cramped while riding as my co-pilot. This was very noticeable while we were doing a 350-mile-each-way trip to Tennessee from Georgia. I'm not sure if it's the actual room for her legs, or if it's the position of her lower legs when her feet touch the floor, but the new seating position is not comfortable to her.

My next most common passenger is a friend from work who is 5"9" tall and she tells me that the new seat position makes her feel too far forward, like she has tunnel vision and is unbalanced. Her legs are almost as long as my girlfriends and she too feels unconfortable in the new seating position. I think the angle of the thigh/knee/leg is not a natural one for someone riding in an automobile. Also, with the seat forward of its usual position, the seat is in front of the A pillar and this makes the rider feel more vulnerable or unbalanced (I'm guessing there - it's pretty subjective).

Finally, a friend who is both tall and "large" rode in the VX with the modified seat position. The seat had to be leaned way back to allow him to ride without bumping his head. The forward position seems to also move the seat upward so there is not as much headroom. I could tell he was extremely unconfortable and he did not even attempt the seat belt.

In closing, I believe this mod to be a worthy one, especially if you need rear access for frequent passengers and your usual co-pilot is shorter/smaller (I'd say the ideal height would be 5'6" or shorter but this is difficult to determine due to variations in upper and lower body lengths). For my needs the brackets are not compensated for the infrequent use of the back seats by my co-workers and friends. Tone also has a set that extend 4 inches instead of the 4.5 and perhaps the experience would be different with these.

I believe the ideal solution would be an actual modified seat-slide, that is extended and supported in the front. Sort of a hybrid of Tone's bracket and real seat brackets, so that rearward positioning is not affected. Until these are fabricated/perfected, I think I can put up with the complaints of my occasional rear passengers.

-- Best, John

mlepisto
01/03/2004, 08:09 PM
John,

Thanks for your input. I argee, it would be nice to have the slider rails extended and not just the seat mount.

I think I'll try the 2.5" extensions instead of the longer ones you have.

Mika

On Your Left
01/05/2004, 01:39 PM
mlepisto,

You were asking about the PV2 muffler. I recently bought one from Tone and had it installed right before Xmas. It may not be for you if you want a quiet muffler. Its definatley louder than the stock muffler (and several pounds lighter). It will need to be welded on, no flanges. Its got a low, throaty sound, but at some rpm ranges it can sound kind of "ricey" and annoying. For me its right about 1600-1800 rpm. Many say it will mellow out after a few months, but I think I'll look into some sound insulation, like Dynamat, anyway. Even if it mellows, it can't hurt to have it quieter in the cabin.

Good luck.

JT

mlepisto
01/05/2004, 02:49 PM
Well, its on order already. I'll just have the shop put on flanges so I can bolt it on/off as I feel like.

I don't really care if its quiet or not but what I don't like is ricey sound or like a harley with the onoxious pipes.

Want a deal on dynamat? I bought some to do the inside of my other truck, and decided that I dont want to do it anymore. I used 2 sheets of it, and its the top end, space aged stuff. Heat and noise resistant.

PM if you're interested. I have quite a bit left.

Mika

omegavx
01/07/2004, 10:24 AM
For the PV2, my shop welded two pieces of pipe to the existing front and back pipes. Then they used two flanges and actually connect the PV2 to the pipes. He said he did it just incase I ever wanted to take it off, so it wasn't permanently on. I have to agree, if your looking for a quite ride, the PV is definatlly not for you. Although I listened to Analog's from the forum and he put a much smaller tip on his and it cut the sound by about half.