PDA

View Full Version : My motor... no warranty coverage!

coachreed
01/01/2004, 06:58 AM
OK, so its been a little while since I last checked in on my motor problems... I have been ripping my house to shreds to find my receipts... not good... went to the auto parts store I usually buy my oil, filter and other parts at... no good. It has been TWO weeks since my car VX was towed into the dealer... no good.

I didn't want to start paying storage on my VX, so I went to pick it up until I can figure out repairs. While there, the dealer asked me if I wanted to trade it in... I told them I don't want anything other than MY VX... they asked how I'd like ANOTHER VX... turns out they took an '01 Proton in trade a few days ago and were trying to move it on me. This was tempting because of two things... ONE... I originially wanted a Proton... TWO... no repairs at this point. The VX has 32K miles on it and is in prertty nice shape... can't find anything wrong with it... I went as far as filling out financing paperwork... unfortunately, I have less than perfect credit... and have only been with my new job for 3-4 months... nothing came back quickly... so I ended up adding oil and driving the 30 miles home... DAMN! Wanna talk about a lot of noise!

Anyway, I am most likely gonna pull my motor myself and see if its worth fixing, or just buy a NEW crate motor. I had looked at the TD option... but its looking like more work than I am able to afford right now as I have a job to do... and a child to raise. So anyway... she sits in my driveway... probably gonna start wrenching on her next Tuesday... I have Tuesday and Wednesday off next week... so maybe I can get the motor ready to pull. Don't guess there's anyone in the Greater Kansas City area who wants to come play doctor on the VX, is there?!

I'll check back again later. TTFN! BTW, if ANYONE is interested in where the Proton is for sale (not even on the lot yet), lemme know... post here or send personal email... I'd be happy to pass the find along... my addy is rreed17@kc.rr.com

Later!

Joe_Black
01/01/2004, 09:53 AM
Good luck on your rebuild is that's what you choose. I have to admit if I were in your shoes I'd go for it and get the services of a good (and known) machine shop. Yep, blueprinting, balancing and porting goes a long way to free up trapped horses! Who knows, you might just encounter someone that makes great custom headers too.

Keep us informed and take lots of photos!

Tone
01/01/2004, 02:34 PM
Aluminum engines are a different beast when it comes to rebuilding and tolerances become extremely close. Make sure the shop understands what they are getting into when you get quotes. Unless the engine was severely starved for oil (won’t know till it is pulled) you may only have to redo the bottom end, oil pump and timing belt. But if you drove it to the dealer with no oil on the stick, it could be really bad. Hope it works out for you.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/01/2004, 05:07 PM
Says if he undertakes Vette V-8 Mod would be willing to part with stock 3.5L engine....Maybe by the time you diagnose yours his will officially be up for sale?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2862&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

P.S.-----Check on the 2004 Isuzu Axiom Direct Injection 3.5L...rated at 250hp. Might be a possible swap?

coachreed
01/01/2004, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I'm sure there are lots of extras for me to worry about if I choose to rebuild my own motor... I have only experienced iron, push-rod motors in my time... lots of differences. I have no doubt that I can do the rebuild... just a matter of how long it will take with me being a single parent and trying to make ends meet as it is. Although it would be nice to be able to pick up a motor for cheaper than new, I refuse to purchase a motor that is of the same build revision as ours... I just don't care to take chances with another oiling problem. If I go with ANY replacement motor, I will spend the money of a NEW, revised motor that Isuzu is using. As for the direct injected idea... although it sounds like a great thing... I'm sure there would be LOTS to deal with in the conversion.. computer? harness? fuel system and hardware? I wouldn't even know WHERE to begin as I don't have an Isuzu mechanic that I know enough to trust... if anyone else has connections, please let me know... heck, just a contact that might be able to help.... someone I could talk to.

If I undertake this rebuild or swap, I'll take LOTS of pictures. Stay tuned... TTFN!

Randy

SGT.BATGUANO
01/02/2004, 12:26 AM
How about getting the direct injection shortblock and using that with your old top end? Is that new block a new revision and are our heads etc., a direct interchange? I don't know, but you could try contacting andy454 or Anita's Isuzu service person.

coachreed
01/02/2004, 04:52 AM
If I were going to use the top end of my motor and use the direct injected lower end, woudn't it be the same as just replacing the motor with a stock replacement? I mean, isn't the direct injected stuff plumbed into the heads and whatnot? Do you know of any differences in bore and stroke of the two motors? I wouldn't expect so... just thinking... hmmmm... I'm thinking if its ANYTHING other than exact stock replacement... its gonna be V-8 POWER! ;Db; Thanks for the idea though.

Coach!

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/02/2004, 06:28 AM
2004 ISUZU Direct Injection 3.5L articles:
http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/96999/page012.html
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/bown/2003/article/0,18881,534655,00.html
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031107/laf008_1.html

My Dad had an old Toyota LandCruiser with a Chevy V-6 conversion we lovingly dubbed the "Chevota".

I suppose a VehiCross with a Chevy V-8 would be:

a) a ChItZU <---(pronounced like the breed of dog ****zu)
b) a VehiVette <--(reminds one of pottery that grows hair!)
d) a VXV8 <-(slight play on Roman Numerals; military flair)
e) a VehiCross<---(Recycling is good for the environment)

SGT.BATGUANO
01/04/2004, 02:03 AM
I'm curious about the DI block too. I read on one of these forums that Isuzu addressed the #1 bearing/ oiling problem with a retooling or revision of the block, if it's true or which block has the revision, I don't know. I'm also wondering if availability or cost of the DI block or shortblock may have advantages.

Also, wouldn't the roman numeral be- VXVVIII or VVIIIVX? That'll fill up your liscense plate!:eek: