PDA

View Full Version : pop ups?

MZ-N10
12/29/2003, 02:15 PM
is it just me or are there pop ups in this forums?
________
Marijuana seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

VX_PA
12/29/2003, 02:20 PM
Thankfully my IP blocks Pop-ups so I have never had any in this forum. Now with that said I'll probably get railroaded by a bazillion (yes that's a number I think).:p

autox-racer
12/29/2003, 02:31 PM
I have never had pop ups on this site. Sounds like you might have some software installed that is providing the popups... unless it is IP based(looks like a windoz "ok" message box) then you might want to turn on your firewall if you have windoz XP.

I would also recommend getting the google tool bar .. 1st, makes easy to search google. 2nd blocks browser ad pop ups (717 so far for my browser), 3rd, has a great autofill feature for your name and address and credit card info ... if you fill out forms a lot when ordering stuff this can save a ton of time

http://toolbar.google.com/

MZ-N10
12/29/2003, 02:35 PM
i figured it out....spy ware...thank gawd for SPYBOT...kill kill kill....the window pop up net send crap can be turned off...but its always good to have a firewall up....
________
Prilosec lawsuit (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/prilosec/)

Spike
12/30/2003, 08:03 AM
I run Spybot as well as Adaware ... both of them seem to find about 10% addidtional scumware that each others products miss.

Dallas4u
12/30/2003, 08:12 AM
I, too, run Spybot on my home machine AND my work laptop. I used to run Adaware, but Spybot not only finds the same things but tells you what and where they are located... in case you don't want to remove something from a specific place.

Jim98122x
12/30/2003, 09:37 AM
I run them both too. Spybot is great but it didn't seem able to remove a particularly annoying "scumware" (love that) called OnSrvr.exe that caused constant pop-ups for me. Adware found it and got it.

I too think it's good to use them both, between the two of them I think they'll get almost everything.

VehiX
12/30/2003, 09:48 AM
If you use Spybot, don't forget to periodically download the latest updates :)

Spike
12/30/2003, 10:41 AM
Forget periodically... I run it every time I use the program.
I also have SpyBot download beta profiles as well.

SpyBot's 'immunize' page includes a link to a nice little free program called SpywareBlaster. Run and update this every so often too, it helps block a lot of blacklisted addresses.

For AdAware, make sure you are running version 6, release 181.

I carry all 3 of these programs on a USB memory chip for when I have people telling me about how slow their computers are, or how many pop ups they get.

95% of the time, it is just spyware or scumware (Gator or Xupiter) causing the problem.

A couple years ago, I only knew of an ran AdAware (I think version 5.8something). Then I found out that SpyBot did a much better job and gave up on AdAware.

After AdAware moved to 6.0.181, I tried it again, and found some pests that SpyBot never blinked at or even noticed.

That's why I run both.

Moncha
12/30/2003, 06:15 PM
Yep! Darn spyware! There would never be a pop-up on this site. Especially since this site is not sponsored, save for the generous donations from our great members.

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/01/2004, 04:44 PM
I too run both spyware and Ad-Aware 6 and go online with AOL 9.0 Optimized which blocks any popups by websites and shows you how many. You can turn it off if desired...but, why would you wanna?

MZ-N10
01/01/2004, 11:17 PM
...aol.......the 3 words tat explains why u suck in cs....
________
Web Shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Simon Templar
01/02/2004, 10:40 PM
Pop ups? Pop ups? What is a Pop up???

Oh...that's right, I forgot! You fellows not using a Mac and Safari have to put up with such things, don't you?? <chuckle chuckle>

....sT

VCAMILO
01/02/2004, 11:27 PM
no matter what I do I still got pop ups. Today I just used CWShredder to get rid of the peper trojan virus. lets see how the pop up no pop up **** goes. ;Db; Im off to bed before the Arizona meet tomorrow morning. :D

Dallas4u
01/03/2004, 08:43 AM
When people start talking about pop ups, they need to be more specific. There are a few different kinds, including pop ups stemming from a spyware downloaded and installed on your PC, active x pop ups set to do so from a webpage, windows messaging pop ups, a few others. SOme things like a firewall will help (XP firewall is ok, but a cheapy internet router with a hardware firewall is better). Some things you just have to avoid, like when you go to a webpage and it asks if you want to install XYZ software to view the page, or software to help you download things faster from the web. JUst don't say yes... that's all.

Viruses usually come from manually opening something, whether it is something sent to you in an email (VB script, executable, zip file), or something you thought was legit that you downloaded to install, and it happened to be infected. Sometimes you get a "pop up" from the virus, but usually it is only to laugh and make fun of you for infecting yourself, then it runs and really screws you.

Spybot, Adaware, etc won't save you from everything. It will help get rid of some spyware and other "dialers" and things, things that aren't too harmful... but viruses can be avoided by having a good virus scanner, and scanning anything in email or that you download before you install it.

Panther_Black_VX
01/03/2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by autox-racer
I have never had pop ups on this site. Sounds like you might have some software installed that is providing the popups... unless it is IP based(looks like a windoz "ok" message box) then you might want to turn on your firewall if you have windoz XP.

I would also recommend getting the google tool bar .. 1st, makes easy to search google. 2nd blocks browser ad pop ups (717 so far for my browser), 3rd, has a great autofill feature for your name and address and credit card info ... if you fill out forms a lot when ordering stuff this can save a ton of time

http://toolbar.google.com/

The google bar is great!