PDA

View Full Version : Pod Gauges

VehiCrazy
11/25/2002, 04:14 PM
Hey gang! Check out my gauges. I uploaded the pic to the Modifications Gallery. They are the AutoMeter Carbon Fiber series. I put in the oil pressure and the volt gauge. With the green lights in them, they blend in real good. Get stoked!!!!;Db;

vx69
11/25/2002, 08:26 PM
They Look awsome!!!!!! The pod you used was that from the 96-00 Civic??? I believe I heard that those closely fit the VX (they just nead some heat molding)???

VehiCrazy
11/25/2002, 10:00 PM
Thanx, and yep, the pod is for the 96-98 civic. I just used a heat gun and wore a thick leather glove. Heat then hold it against the pillar to shape it. It only took like 10 minutes. Many thanx to WormGod for the advice. I bought the pod and the gauges from Jegs, $127 for everything you see. The hard part is getting that damn fitting into the oil filter housing... i almost came unglued... the fitting just refused to start right. I ended up grinding the fitting so that it had a nice bevel to it. I also chose to leave the pod black, since the interior has alot of black and grey already. I think it looks nice.;Db;

paultvx
11/25/2002, 11:12 PM
Nice. I think some motivated individual could make a few bucks making and selling one piece deals (pillar trim and pod). Tone? :D Be great for the SC crowd.

I've got an idea for a pod. Will probably try it when I get the time and $ to get the raw materials... real carbon and epoxy. It won't be a pillar mount. I tend to like low-key mods more. Been the victim of too many break-in's.

Tone
11/26/2002, 01:28 PM
I offered to do the pods several months ago but there was absolutely no response. I'll look into carrying that line next week.

What is everyone's preference in guages? I think carbon fibre ties in with the dash and door trim the best but white faced ones seem to offer more intense color choices. And then there is the issue with WHICH guages to use - if you've got the SC, then of course you'd want boost and maybe oil temp? I can't find a three pod that will fit the same as the 2 pod Reg originally discovered.

paultvx
11/26/2002, 01:38 PM
Tone,

That's odd. I thought there'd be some response. I agree with you on the carbon face gauges. I wouldn't go with anything else.

White face does make it easier to read in daylight, but it doesn't make that much of a difference. If anything, I think they'd be too flashy.

Our pillars are already big enough to create a good size blind spot. A 3 pod set up I think would be too much. 2 is what I would run at the most. But, that's my personal opinion.

For SC, a boost is gauge is definitely needed. Oil temp and oil pressure are good to have, but not really important. Different story if you have a turbo. I'd say a EGT (exhaust gas temp) or a good Air/Fuel ratio gauge is probably more important. Nice to know if you're running lean or rich.

I like SPA gauges, www.spatechnique.com. Spendy, but really nice. Not too spendy if you do a group buy. They are dual digital gauges (two gauges in one) and most have peak hold memory and peak warning.

VehiCrazy
11/26/2002, 02:42 PM
As for being visible in the day, the carbon fiber gauges have a silver needle and are actually easy to see during the day.

As for oil pressure not being that important, I totally disagree. Most "idiot" lights don't go off until around 15 psi. If your cranking any real rpm at that point it doesn't take long to do some damage. I feel alot safer knowing what is going on with my oil.

As for visibility. I really can't tell ANY difference between when they weren't there and now. They didn't make the already poor visibility in that corner any worse. I do agree with them not being very low-key though. BUT, I feel safer driving when I don't have to look down at the console to see my guages. This way my eyes stay on the road ;Dp;