PDA

View Full Version : BFG's are great, but what psi to run?

joe-yamma
12/23/2003, 07:00 PM
I finally got my BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's today and they rock !!! :D
255/70/16 and they fit great with no rubbing whatsoever.

The tire place (Sam's Club) filled them to 27 psi (Which seemed kinda low to me...). :confused:

What psi are you guys running your BFG's at?

Joe

Green Dragon
12/23/2003, 07:12 PM
35 PSI (COLD) Road

10 PSI (WARM) TRAIL

AnalogVX
12/23/2003, 11:26 PM
Yea, I really lke those (warm) trails...:p

joe-yamma
12/24/2003, 06:07 AM
Green Dragon, thanks for the info.
Any others with experience with BFG's?

I definitely don't think 27psi is good enough for my highway driving, so I'll be upping the pressure today.

Joe

Daver
12/24/2003, 12:16 PM
I liked 27psi allright this summer for comfort reasons, although after the lift 27psi was pretty scary in corners.

Last winter and this winter I'm running at 45psi. A bit jittery over little bumps, but great for traction and cornering. 265s are a bit wide for snow, but the 45psi helps compensate for that.

I don't think all A/T KOs are D Load-rated, but those that are max out at 65psi, so no worries at 45psi.

-Daver

BBVX
12/24/2003, 03:47 PM
After my last offroading trip, I had a shattered front diff, so airing back up was the last thing on my mind. Besides, I was putting the stock Duelers back on anyway.
Now the BFG MT 33s are back on and I just drove from Boston to Rochester, NY at less than 20 psi. The ride is a lot smoother, but also a lot more loose in the turns, and the straightaways for that matter. Also, the lower your pressure, the worse your mpg will be, and your tires will also wear differently, if not quicker.
I'll be airing up before the ride home, probably to around 30.

Brian

joe-yamma
12/26/2003, 03:30 PM
Daver, I got the T/A KO 255/70/16 and it is D-rated.
65psi just seems a bit too much for me especially since the VX isn't a pickup truck that I'm gonna throw a load of wood into the bed or anything.
I do realize that the VX is heavy for it's size (3900lbs, right?), so I actually feel better with the Light Truck type tires rather than a passenger tire. There's some good info about this stuff here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.html#maxinflation

I just aired my BFG's to about 35 psi today and they seem to handle very good. Stable on the highway and around town, yet the still seem to grip quite well!

Thanks for the info guys.

Joe

Heraclid
12/27/2003, 06:18 PM
I was running them at 35 and just today I upped it to 40 and I'm happier with that. Max on mine is 50psi cold (BFG Mud Terrain A/T KMs). I was very happy with them at Uwharrie (didn't air them down) and they're doing just fine on the road too.