PDA

View Full Version : Radiator cooler lines

simonsayz1
05/16/2019, 05:45 PM
Replacing radiator, does it matter which transmission line go to which fitting on new radiator......unfortunately I took radiator out and removed cracked old trans lines, of course I didn't mark then :confused:

Mile High VX
05/17/2019, 10:54 AM
Never done mine but I chatted with another member and this was his response...They do matter. Hot side goes to the short passenger side port. The return is the long drivers side one.

Hope this helps.

simonsayz1
05/17/2019, 11:14 AM
Yes it does help! Thx Mile High

Mile High VX
05/17/2019, 12:43 PM
Some other comments from Eric...

Most likely there would not be a substantial change if they were reversed. It’s a 1” pipe or so that sits in the bottom of the radiator. They flow of coolant is directional though on how it flows. So there may be a slight difference in temperature if they were reversed.

The only thing I would really be worried about if backwards is the pressure. That long pipe is the lower pressure side.

simonsayz1
05/17/2019, 07:21 PM
OK, so how do I know flow coming from radiator?

Mile High VX
05/18/2019, 07:36 AM
It looks like on the OEM radiator the nipples for the rubber lines are different lengths from the first note above.

If you do Facebook the VehiCROSS group there is much more active than this forum.

simonsayz1
05/24/2019, 03:52 PM
Thanks again Mile High

Mile High VX
05/24/2019, 03:55 PM
You're welcome...always glad to help when possible.

I'm probably one of a few that still check this site everyday.

simonsayz1
05/25/2019, 01:41 PM
That helps since I don't do Facebook......Another question: The VX is running warm (1/4" from H). I've replaced: clutch fan and fan (new design), Radiator, belt tensioner, Temp sensor and mechanic who replaced cam seals said the water pump looked new. I've also burped the radiator a few times......I can have it sit in park with the A/C blasting for hrs and the needle will stay normal (middle), once I start driving for 30-45 mins the gauge starts moving closer to H......The oil isn't milky either is the coolant ( thought head Gasket)....I'm thinking thermostat but found it odd that it only gets warm while driving

I've also added a transmission cooler

Mile High VX
05/25/2019, 05:14 PM
A few have had an issue with the AC compressor needing service. If it runs hot it's enough to heat up the engine bay to that point. I'll check and see what else...I know that there have been some recent discussions about this.

Mile High VX
05/25/2019, 05:16 PM
If it's still getting hot at speed it could be something else. The clutch fan only helps till 30-40 mph. Another thing you might check is a dirty radiator and size also. Stock is 1 1/2" thick at the core ( I have been told by 1 person) mine is 1 1/4" thick and my yellow one is only 1" thick. That's BIG difference ! I'm almost afraid to run my yellow one with 30% less of a radiator knowing these VX's

From a recent discussion since you said above you replaced the radiator.

Mile High VX
05/25/2019, 05:21 PM
https://carleg.com/Step-by-step-to-resolve-overheating-of-Isuzu-VehiCross.html?fbclid=IwAR0E6vZCtsDZ3W1W7Su7wrbD0W Cu8vtzKq-rzch3u4iMpTbGSaRr1FxquUU

Mile High VX
05/25/2019, 05:22 PM
Yet another piece of advice from the FB group... Here in Texas mine used to run warmer, but switched to electric fan to replace clutch driven one. Also check your transmission, I have always believed that can make temp rise as well, check fluid and level. They really need tranny cooler.

Mile High VX
05/25/2019, 05:24 PM
also went through three ‘new’ fan clutches before finding the right one. lots of bad totally incorrectly spec’d clutches out there supposedly for our Vx. at one point she sounded like a 747 taking off.

Mile High VX
05/25/2019, 05:27 PM
AC issue as above and the fix...Ok so after many, many, MANY hours spent on the overheating issue, it seems to have been caused by having too much freon in the system, causing the condenser to run hot & thereby causing a hotter engine compartment. After taking freon out to where the pressure was correct, the overheating issue has now stopped. Turns out, a faulty gauge was showing that there was not enough freon in the system. Adding freon caused too much pressure & made the condenser work harder than necessary & run hot. I just can't believe it's not overheating anymore!!!!!!

Mile High VX
05/25/2019, 05:27 PM
AC issue as above and the fix...Ok so after many, many, MANY hours spent on the overheating issue, it seems to have been caused by having too much freon in the system, causing the condenser to run hot & thereby causing a hotter engine compartment. After taking freon out to where the pressure was correct, the overheating issue has now stopped. Turns out, a faulty gauge was showing that there was not enough freon in the system. Adding freon caused too much pressure & made the condenser work harder than necessary & run hot. I just can't believe it's not overheating anymore!!!!!! 😊😊😊

simonsayz1
05/26/2019, 11:18 AM
Radiator is 1 1/4" from rock auto, tried to find 1 1/2" to no avail, Trans fluid is full (checked a few times) and I've gone through a few clutch fans and all had same result. New one with new design does sound like a jet taking off, when I stand in front of the VX I can feel the air being pulled in (of course not when it's moving:bgwb: )...I'll check the Freon next

Mile High VX
05/26/2019, 03:21 PM
1 1/4" may not be enough based on what others have posted. Seems small but they spec'd it that way for a reason from the factory.

Mile High VX
05/26/2019, 03:21 PM
A few have switched to an electric fan with good results.

Igor
05/27/2019, 07:40 AM
I have this high temp issue too. Something I have noticed when running the A/C is keeping the revs near 2500 rpms (65 mph cruising) will keep the temp gauge right in the middle. With the A/C off I can drive all day at 70+ mph no problem.

simonsayz1
05/29/2019, 11:05 AM
Well...it's not the Freon and I thought maybe ac compressor so I got a shorter serpentine belt and bypassed it, no difference.
Here's the odd part.....It actually runs cooler (almost normal) with A/C blasting and set at 75*

Mile High VX
05/29/2019, 04:09 PM
That's odd for sure...I keep going back to the radiator thickness...not sure about that but seems that is the one item that is different.

simonsayz1
05/29/2019, 04:28 PM
Do you have a source that has a thicker one? Beside custom aluminum of course.

Mile High VX
05/29/2019, 06:47 PM
OEM may still be available...try isuzupartscenter.com

Ask for Scott. He's always been good to me.

Online cataloge says it's about $550.

Mile High VX
05/29/2019, 06:51 PM
A few FB post say RockAuto or O'Reilly's have the right part.

Mile High VX
05/29/2019, 07:03 PM
The RockAuto ones are all 1" or 1.25".

Have you tried any of the additives like Wetter Water...https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80204-Water-Wetter/dp/B000CPI5ZK

Mile High VX
05/29/2019, 07:05 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRGAJ2/ref=psdc_15718901_t1_B000CPI5ZK

simonsayz1
05/29/2019, 07:11 PM
Thanks again Mile High. The one I have is 1.25 from rockauto, I am running a wetter water but don't remember the brand

Mile High VX
05/29/2019, 08:20 PM
The struggles of owning a VX...LOL.

A few have added a second fan but not sure that helps much at speed.

Mile High VX
05/29/2019, 08:21 PM
Addition of a tranny cooler could help that engine bay temp as well.

simonsayz1
05/30/2019, 06:06 AM
Ahead of you already, added Hayden 677 trans cooler when I installed radiator.....I'm wondering if the previous owner installed a higher temp thermostat, The needle does move down as thermostat opens. We got the VX for cheap (basket case) and we have noticed a few things were "Mickey Moused" together. We're all to familiar with the woes of the VX, this is our second, gives my son and I something to do

Mile High VX
05/30/2019, 04:27 PM
Building those memories...I did the same with my boys. Using the VX as the canvas you'll never run out of things to do...LOL.

Not sure why they would do that...is it from a cold weather state?

simonsayz1
05/30/2019, 10:36 PM
IIRC it has always been in a cold weather state. The only reason I think it's a hotter thermostat is the impression I got from the previous owner. I wouldn't put it past him to rummage through his garage and pick up a thermostat and say "we'll make this one work"

I always tell my son it's "fun" to work on the VX. ....I think he suspects the definition of fun is frustration