PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Deisel (TD) conversion... some questions... how bout some answers...

coachreed
12/20/2003, 07:31 PM
OK, now that we have come near conclusion of the fate of my motor, I am seriously considering the TD coversion... This seems to be an awsome idea... and if it can be done, will be beautiful! I mean, the TD motor creates monstor torque in comparison to gas motors, and thanks to the type of fuel (and content of the fuel), they tend to last MUCH longer... sooo... some questions...

OK... First off... Transmission...

Can the stock automatic be used in such a conversion? Those who are familiar with the TD, know the typically higher torque numbers they produce... so does anyone have a clue as to just how much torque our trannies can handle? How are they handling the superchargers? What kind of torque number are they putting out? Is there ANY comparison? Yeah, the five speed conversion would be great too... but thats just another expense that I'm not sure I can take on right now... maybe a little further down the road...

next... accessories...

OK, so we decided that it might take some fabrication of brackets to get things to work out... fine... I can deal with that... how about cruise control? I do quite a bit of long distance driving... it would be nice to know I can keep this going. How about things like vacuum assisted power brakes? Is it a common misconception, or is it true that I would need a vacuum pump of some sort? Or, would I need to covert my vacuum assist to something like the hydra-boost power brake assist system like on some of the older (not sure about newer) diesel coversion motors of GM?

Fuel system... would the fuel pump need to be changed? How about the fuel lines? Any special needs in size or anything? Would it be as simple as flushing out the system of gasoline? I guess the filler neck would have to be changed somewhat too to accomodate the larger fuel pump nozzle... but I'm sure thats a minor detail in comparison to others...

This could all be a waste of time... or maybe its a good thread to get more info and input on the table from EVERYONE... this might be a good conversion for lots later on down the road...

Anyway, lets talk about this...

TTYL!

Teckhardt
12/20/2003, 10:16 PM
Check out the following site for transmission info:

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/hydra/apps/4l30.htm

This one for some motor info:

http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/product/dmax/powertrain_2.html

A couple of sites I found rate the 3.0L TD at 245.6 lbs.ft of torque at 2,000 rpm. They also list it as a "fly-by-wire" throttle.

Good luck on the conversion. I too would love to have a turbo diesel.

Also, here is a link to another board where other people are talking about Isuzu V6's dieing.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=410692&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

coachreed
12/21/2003, 08:15 AM
OK, so it looks like the tranny might be able to handle the 3.0L TD... but not much more. Thats a good start... now... to find MORE info on the 3.0L TD... what I am really wondering is what is needed on the lines of engine control (ECM) or whatever. I'm not familiar with mechanical injectors that JoeBlack refered to in one of the other threads. I guess that will be my next subject to look at. It definitely sounds to me like a motor that is fly-by-wire is DEFINITELY gonna require a computer. That definitely complicates things.

Anyway, I'll get back online in a few hours... I'll do some hardcore research then. Thanks for the info Teckhardt!

TTYL!

Coach!

Joe_Black
12/21/2003, 08:28 AM
Coachreed, make it a point to locate some of your local diesel mechanics that work on the NPR series of trucks and go pick their brains. The engines that I researched didn't require any complex electronics and were available in displacements above 4L. Diesels don't typical require any electronics as they utilize a mechanical gear-driven injection system and don't require any sort of electronic ignition. No spark plugs or such to worry about, but the injection system is VERY high pressure and a pressure leak can cut skin! Diesels are a different animal than gas engines, but offer a great deal of reliability and economy in the right applications. The engine that currently is available in overseas Troopers is the 4JG2-TC. A similar engine from domestic NPR trucks would be the 4BD1-TC which I believe is a 3.9L mill.

As I have time over the holiday I'll see what additional info I can post, as this is something I've been considering for some time as well for my RS trail-rig project.

Definitely go see some local NPR mechanics though!

Here's an eBay link to a regular seller of Isuzu diesels...

3.9L Turbo Diesel (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2449670818)

FeatherFoot
12/21/2003, 01:18 PM
remember that the torque will be multiplied by the gear ratio!!

Thats 2.4:1 in first and 1.47:1 in second.

245 in first gear equals 588 in the tranny that sez 440 max.

better take it to a good tranny shop and have the bands and clutch pak beefed up and hope the case can take the loads.

IMHO

FF