PDA

View Full Version : MPG and Roof Baskets, bars, and stuff ...

Thelgord
01/27/2019, 08:17 AM
I have been consistently achieving 14.5 to 15.1 MPG out of my VX. Not too bad for a vehicle with almost 180k miles on the clock, a 2.5” lift and 31” tires.

I am going to be doing the “blue wire” mod, and putting manual hubs on the VX, with the hopes that it will give me a least a slight bump in MPG, but I also have other reasons. I will also be doing the 4HI mod to lock up the transfer case solenoid in high range. Basically I want full control over my 4wd system, and have the ability to put it back into TOD mode. However all of that is for another discussion. For now it’s all about the roof line.

After some discussion on the FB page, it was mentioned that the roof basket can have a significant impact on MPG. To test just how much I will run two full tanks without the basket or bars attached. Then I will run two full tanks with just the cross bars put back on.

I can’t get rid of the lift, and going back to stock tire size with a lift is just ... goofy ... so those are not going to happen. But I can test the roof line and see just how much that affects the MPG over a tank or two of gas.

This should be fun. :) :) :)

blacksambo
03/03/2019, 07:07 AM
Hi,

Can you really get to fully control the TOD?

If so , where can I find out more? I (I don't do Facebook.)

Thanks.

Thelgord
03/03/2019, 02:32 PM
There is a blue wire on the TOD computer. Disconnect it and you are in 2wd. Dump 12v steady power and you are engaged in 4wd 100%. Use a 5 pin relay to switch control back to the TOD computer and you are back to stock operation. There are other wires that control the dash lights, wiring diagram is in the workshop manual, that I want to be able to override. Still working on the best way to wire that up without it getting super complicated.

blacksambo
03/05/2019, 07:58 PM
Thanks. I always thought the mechanical -ball- ramp mechanism prevented any such electrical modification from really giving you switching control? I look forward to hearing more from you.

Thelgord
03/06/2019, 03:41 PM
I am not the first to do it. Got s lot of info from the FB page. I will post a complete write up when I get to it.