PDA

View Full Version : Replace the timing belt

Randy
09/17/2018, 06:49 PM
Ok folks, I did it!

First of all, the Vehicross CD manual is very helpful. I went back and forth to my computer many times throughout the process. It doesn't mention the difficulty of getting to the thermostat though. I decided not to change it this time, as a result of the location. I recommend changing the timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, serpentine belt, and upper and lower radiator hoses. Pay close attention to all of the different bolt sizes and their proper locations.

1) Drain the COLD coolant by removing radiator cap and then lower radiator hose connection. Have a big pan, because several times along the way, more cooolant is released.

2) Remove top of airfilter housing along with intake assembly to the throttle body, top radiator fan shroud and radiator hoses.

3) Remove serpentine belt and main fan and pulley assembly. I held the pulley stationary by lodging a square shafted screwdriver between two of the nuts while I loosened an opposite one. Remove fan bracket from front of engine.

4) Remove power steering pulley (which I held stationary with a large socket and ratchet positioned through one of the pulley holes while I had a breaker bar with another socket removing the center nut), stationary pulley, and serpentine tensioner assembly. It has one regular bolt and also a hidden 3/8 " allen bolt through the center of the tensioner.

5) Remove crankshaft pulley by using a socket with breaker bar on the center bolt and positioned against a frame member on the driver's side and then tapping the engine starter. The engine turns clockwise from the front. I did not disconnect the battery.

6) Remove timing belt housing (three plastic pieces).

7) Now, replace crankshaft pulley and manually rotate engine with crankshaft bolt to line-up timing marks on both over head cams and crankshaft timing mark on power steering pump side. The crankshaft rotates twice for every single turn of the cam shafts. So, be careful not to be 180 degrees out on the timing.

8) Remove crankshaft pulley again (I used a short 2x4 against the breaker bar and hit it with a rubber hammer) and doublecheck your timing marks. The cam shaft pulleys should both be alligned with marks on the respective cylinder heads. The crankshaft timing pulley should have a notch on the lower left side pointing toward the oil pump (opposite the other pulley mark facing the power steering pump.

9) Unbolt timing belt tensioner on lower left and remove. And now remove timing belt.

10) Remove and replace water pump (another antifreeze gush) being careful to reseal bolt #3 for oil leaks.

11) Install new timing belt by lining up notches on camshafts with white lines on new belt and clamp with little chip clips. Information on the belt must be readable from the front of the engine. Then rotate the crankshaft slightly (with bolt again) to line up the crankshaft notch (by the oil pump) with the dotted line on the belt. Be careful not to manhandle, twist, or pry on the belt.

12) Install new timing belt tensioner (do not remove release pin yet) and doublecheck all timing notches against belt marks.

13) Remove tensioner release pin.

14) Put everything back together in reverse order.

15) Fill radiator with fresh antifreeze, and start engine, filling several more times as level gets repeatedly lower.

16) Go wash-up and put bandaids on busted knuckles!

17) I had no spare nuts or bolts -- YES... success!!!!

18) While at it, I also removed and cleaned the interior of the throttle body with a WD-40 soaked rag.

Good Luck,

Randy @ 140,000 miles