PDA

View Full Version : Igor's Upringing

Igor
11/27/2017, 04:21 PM
So I've decided to keep track of the modifications/repairs done to my VX on here. Like any auto enthusiast, the mod itch doesn't stop at just one thing.

2016:
-Purchased in March. 130k on the odometer. All stock
-Replaced amber side markers and front turn signals with clear lenses
-Removed chrome nerf bars
-Installed new radiator due to small crack.
-Replaced OEM speakers with Infiniti speakers.
-Installed light bar in lower grille opening
-Installed OEM roof racks
-Replaced passenger window glass while trying to fix power windows issue
-Installed power window brackets from SBC
-Made a garage door opener using the spare button on the center console
-Removed ABS bulb from dash
-Installed light bars on roof rack
-First attempt at painting the sun faded plastic cladding (fail)

2017:
-New tires. BF Goodrich Baja Champion KO2s installed
-Installed OME 912 lift. Gained 2.5"
-Painted plastic cladding using bedliner spray (success!)
-Installed tailgate opener using 10lb solenoid (fail)
-Re-worked tailgate opener using 35lb solenoid (success!)
-Replaced front pads and rotors
-Painted front brake calipers yellow
-Installed bracket and 65lb gas shock to hold tailgate open
-Attempted to wrap VX (fail)
-Installed remote tailgate opener switch to outside of vehicle
-Sound deadened interior using Dynamat and insulation foam
-Wrapped light bars in yellow
-Installed Samsung tablet as new infotainment center
-Current mileage: 161k

2018 Plans:
-Wrapped the truck in satin Urban Jungle by Avery Dennison
-Sprayed black bedliner on door B pillars to match the plastic cladding bedliner spray

2019 & 2020 updates:
-Installed "flip out" back up camera in the half moon piece. Works automatically when in reverse and can be controlled via pushbutton as well
-Upgraded to LED light bulbs
-Passed the 200k mile mark

Future Plans:
-Manual transmission swap
-Wheels and tires upgrade (thinking 33" on Fuel D564 Beast wheels)
-Upgrade engine cooling (thermostatic fan delete, upgrade radiator, automated hood vents)
-Replace gas shock on rear hatch with linear actuator

Thanks for reading and I will keep you posted. If you have any questions, feel free to ask

Thelgord
11/28/2017, 12:02 PM
Pics! ;)

Igor
11/28/2017, 04:30 PM
Pics are under my username in Member Photos. Unfortunately, I can't load all pics due to storage space restrictions.

Thelgord
11/28/2017, 06:00 PM
I have actually never been able to use the member gallery section. For some reason it wont take any of my attempt to upload. I did find a way to use Dropbox to post pics though.

http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/27760-Using-DropBox-for-forum-images

It may help.

Igor
03/26/2018, 04:14 PM
Not that anything is wrong with my powertrain but, I had an idea last night.....How compatible do you think the 3.6L LLT V6 from the 2010-2102 Camaros would be in our VehiCrosses? I used to own a 2010 Camaro V6 and it had some gusto to it. I like the idea of this engine for the following reasons:

- 304hp and 273lb-ft of torque
- It's a 60* GM V6 so it "should" be compatible with our transmissions
- The Aisin AY6 should bolt up to the T.O.D. transfer case for a manual transmission option
- It weighs slightly less than the 6VE1 (375lbs vs 361lbs)
- Fuel economy is awesome, though I know this will change because the Camaro V6 had 3.27 axle ratio and the Vehicross has a 4.30 ratio.
- New parts are still available for this engine unlike the 6VE1

As much as I would LOVE to have a V8 under the hood, I think this V6 (or it's LFX sister) might be our best option. I'm going to toil over this and maybe undertake a new BIG project

Thelgord
03/26/2018, 05:16 PM
Bolting it up, I would think, would be strait forward enough. May need to fab some motor mounts. The trick is going to be the TOD. If you can get that sorted I think you will be on to something.

89Vette
03/27/2018, 12:16 PM
Skip to next post (I duped somehow).

89Vette
03/27/2018, 12:20 PM
Depends on which computer you used.... If both computers have basically the same capability (ODB2?) computer, I'd wonder if you can "flash" the VX ECM with the parms necessary to get the newer V6 working correctly? Certainly, that would be a lot easier than installing an engine harness -- though many would consider that route. I know many/most of the reasons the newer engine has better power relates to mechanical design improvements. What I don't know is if there are any critical sensors NOT present on the VX? Even on my ODB1 (89) Corvette, the computer had the ability to code injector parameters...to cover how they behave with different voltages, etc... FIC (fuel injector connection) could likely provide parameters...or point you to them for the injectors. That's the hard part (to me).

As long as you could fuel the newer engine correctly, I'd think you'd still get the performance improvement you'd expect. Am I missing something? Were there any engine sensors developed to operate 2010 engines not present in 2001?

Igor
03/27/2018, 03:08 PM
The LLT for the Camaro was a Direct Injection motor so I know the fuel pressure would be way higher. I know this doesn't mean much, but the OBD Torque App I use had a few more sensor options when plugged into the Camaro than the Isuzu. Engine oil pressure, engine oil temperature and transmission temperature are only a few I can think of off the top of my head that are present in the Camaro and not the 6VE1.

89Vette
03/28/2018, 12:57 AM
Odd....My 89 Vette has oil pressure and temp. Even if the VX doesn't "use" those temp/pressure parms, I'm thinking it won't matter if those sensor bungs are plugged. Or....maybe the VX computer IS capable of displaying them...if extra gauges were installed? I'm guessing FP doesn't matter either. It's computer wouldn't "know" if you fed a new engine much higher pressure....just like the VX doesn't know how you've set it's AFPR. My first thought/question is whether they the newer motor uses O2 sensors that could adjust AFR on the fly?

The bigger thing I considered -- after my prior post -- is whether the 2010 engine has variable valve timing? My daughter had a 2003 Volvo that did. I don't know if/how it's computer differed to handle that...or if they are mechanically activated (rather than electronically)?

Obviously, you could pin-out a newer ECM...and run add'l lines not present. Knowing how wire looms are made/routed, that seems easier than tearing apart a dash.

Have you considered a supercharger instead? Might be less work to get similar gains?

ipd
04/02/2018, 11:54 AM
Subbed.

Igor
12/15/2018, 05:34 PM
The paint on my VX is faded after 17 years of life. I have decided to make things interesting and attempt to wrap him. Also, I'm in the midst of a flip down back up camera. I started with the hatch fearing it would be the most difficult part to wrap. Surprisingly, not that difficult. The bet I had with my wife is that if I could wrap the most difficult part, then I have the go ahead and wrap the rest. What do you think?

]/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Igor_Wrap2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26159&title=igor-wrap2&cat=500)

Mile High VX
12/15/2018, 05:42 PM
That green is a great choice!

Thelgord
12/16/2018, 01:28 PM
Love that green!

Igor
12/16/2018, 03:14 PM
Thank you! The wrap is Avery Dennison Urban Jungle - satin finish.

Nikad92397
12/16/2018, 04:21 PM
What size sheet is needed ?

Igor
12/18/2018, 05:22 PM
The sheets come in 5' widths, and no individual panel on the VX is wider than 5' so we only need to concern ourselves with the length of the of the roll. Here are the dimensions I measured for Igor:

L&R front fenders area: 4'x 2' (x2) [4' length]
hood area: 5'x 5' [5' length]
roof area: 4'x 6' [6' length]
L&R doors area: 4'x 4' (x2) [8' length]
L&R rear fenders area: 5'x 4' (x2) [8' length]
hatch area: 5'x 2' [2' length]

These dimensions are rounded up to the nearest foot and roughly an inch below the plastic cladding. I'm purchasing a 5' x 45' roll to have extra just in case.

Igor
02/19/2019, 01:03 PM
Finally got enough free time to completely wrap the truck this week. The weather has been less than cooperative but here is the 99% end result (still need to put emblems back on)

Igor
02/19/2019, 01:20 PM
Apparently my profile settings do not allow me to post attachements to threads...thanks moderators. If you want to see the pictures, you will have to visit my gallery.
/gallery/data/500/medium/VX_30.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26165&title=vx-30&cat=500)
/gallery/data/500/medium/VX_Driver.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26166&title=vx-driver&cat=500)
/gallery/data/500/medium/VX_Forums.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26167&title=vx-forums&cat=500)
/gallery/data/500/medium/VX_Top.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26168&title=vx-top&cat=500)

ipd
02/19/2019, 02:04 PM
can you use img tags?

Camoman
04/19/2019, 04:16 PM
Wow! The wrap looks great! The hood appears to have chameleon paint but its probably the reflection of something. How long does the material last in the heat?

Igor
04/23/2019, 10:46 AM
Thanks! The entire wrap is a chameleon green/purple just depends on the angle. It is supposed to have a life expectancy of 3-5 years.

Igor
02/23/2023, 05:20 PM
It's been a while since I've posted on here. I still have Igor, 227k miles and still running strong. I've upgraded the wheels to bronze Toyota TRD wheels and added a roof rack. I'd love to upload a picture but I can't find the "how-to" thread on how to remove old photos to make room for new ones.