PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your rear seat?

Thelgord
10/23/2017, 12:33 AM
I am currently building my VX to be an adventure rig as well as a daily driver. As we all know, storage is at a premium. I plan to remove mine once I start the interior work of the build.

I am curious to know how many have removed the rear seat, and how many actually use it more than once a month or so. Since I can’t seem to find a way to make this pole, what is the story of your back seat?

MSHardeman
10/23/2017, 10:05 AM
Haven't driven the VX in a while (she's apart waiting to get the roof repainted), but when I did I really didn't ever use the back seat. It's so hard to in and out of the back seat that I never offered to take people anywhere, although it was fun to watch people try to get in and out when I did. When heading out to Moab or any other serious trip I would fold the back seat up to give myself as much cargo room as possible. I eventually ended up adding some quick release pins to the back seat pivot points so I could take it out when needed. The back seat is NOT light so it's a bit of a wrestling match every time I take it out and put it in, but it works. I can have the back seat when needed, but can totally get it out of the way when I need to cargo room.

I would have to hunt around a bit, but a long ago member (Grandpa Bob) set his VX up as an adventure rig. He had removed his back seat and filled the cargo area with storage and a bed. Pretty sweet set-up. I was told that he did the Rubicon Trail in his VX.

bartmanS4
10/23/2017, 11:04 AM
Removed mine long ago, don't even have it anymore to re-install it if I wanted to.

89Vette
10/23/2017, 09:27 PM
The only other (formerly local) VX owner I knew, removed his rear seat. I've considered removing mine (as it's rarely used once/twice per year) but I do use it occasionally AND I can't recall it ever being the straw that broke the camel's back. Also, it helps muffle rear road noise (if you pay attention).

If you aren't aware, there is an aftermarket (basically homemade) set of rails that will shift passenger seat travel about 3" forward. Because of it's design, it also raises how high the passenger seat sits. I found/tried it for awhile but did not like RIDING in my VX as a 6'2" passenger. So....I resold it.

Recently, I added a hitch and built a trailer to deal with larger cargo needs. This solution has worked well. As such, I will soon post my OEM VX roof rack (with fairing) for sale.
I probably should have posted it by now but rarely think about it. HEY...I'm thinking about it now! But (unfortunately) I tend to procrastinate. Maybe tomorrow! LOL

Later fellow VXers!

ipd
10/25/2017, 05:46 PM
Yeah, i think the biggest problem is how far the fronts slide forward. The rears are plenty roomy. I'll never take mine out. Besides, the WO covers look so purdy & they match the fronts.

blacksambo
10/30/2017, 10:09 PM
Dog is my co-pilot, so mine is out, permanently.