PDA

View Full Version : Hummimg sound when decelerating ?

VXDAD
06/01/2017, 01:05 PM
Hi, Does anyone know what a humming sound when decelerating may be or what part it my be coming from? This is what happened. I was driving slowly in the back yard and my rear tire side wall got cut. I changed to the small spare tire , drove to the tire shop the next day about 15-30mph for 10 minutes. Everytime I would get up to 30mph the car would start bucking like a bull and the tod lights would go haywire, so I kept at 15mph. When the dealer put the new tire back on the rear (same size.) My vx started humming when I let off the accelerator . Sounds cool like some space vehicle but I know its not good. Its been like this for a year now can't seem to find out where or what it is. Took it to a few shops they can't find it. Thanks for any info. someone can give me. Ray.:confused:

PK
06/01/2017, 04:18 PM
If there is any difference in diameter between your real tyres and the small spare, then the small spare should only be fitted on the front. The limited slip diff is too tight to run uneven diameter tyres on the rear.
Also, the small spare wheel is deliberately set up out of balance, so that you can only drive at around 15 - 20 MPH. This is a safety thing, so that you stay within the limits of the smaller tyre.

I would suggest you have damaged the rear suspension and/or differential. If you take the vehicle to a good mechanic together with these comments, they should be able to find the damage and repair it.

PK

VXDAD
06/12/2017, 08:09 AM
Hey PK, Thanks for the info. I think it my be in the rear diff. also. Last week checked and replaced the cv axles because my boots were torn , it wasn't those humming. Yesterday I cranked the t bar and got 4in. lift in the front. I also put ome 919's on the back with Dayton 1.5 spacers along with old spacers and got 4in. lift in the back. all the suspension in the back looks good. I do need to figure out how to angle my pinion up cause when I put the 4in. lift on yesterday I get a small vibration at the u joint. Does anyone know what the tallest tire I can put under it with 4in. suspension lift? I can do some cutting and pounding. Ray.

JAMAS
06/12/2017, 10:51 AM
Check this out.....

I had a humming/whining sound on deceleration.

www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/22853-Pinion-Seal-Installer-Tool-J-24250-Available-For-Borrowing-(-and-a-story)

VXDAD
06/12/2017, 02:24 PM
Thanks JAMAS. I will remember that next week when I take it to a lift to check out the rear end. ( get a new pinion nut) I have to angle the pinion up while im back there anyways.

VXDAD
06/12/2017, 02:37 PM
Hey Rudy. I've been trying to order side skid plates from aftershock but when I click on check out it states unable to display page. I tried to send a private message to your inbox but your box is to full. Let know how I can order them. Thanks . Ray

ron
06/12/2017, 08:37 PM
Hey Ray...just email me direct (rudesvx@sbcglobal.net) and we'll go from there. Thanks. Rudy

VXDAD
06/13/2017, 05:46 AM
k