PDA

View Full Version : 99 Muffler search or recommendations

ariastwin
01/31/2017, 07:31 PM
Hello fellow vx'ers. I'm in need of a muffler replacement. I found a new original replacement and they want 1400.00 for it, they're freaking nuts! Anyone here have a good aftermarket option for me? Appreciate any help.

Y33TREKker
02/01/2017, 05:11 AM
I recently took my VX to my local exhaust guy to track down what sounded like an exhaust leak. We found that the original muffler was leaking in a few places and that a couple of clamps needed replaced.

He checked on a replacement muffler from Walker (same exact shape, inlet/outlet configuration/etc) and it was going to cost around $250. Even he thought that was steep though and said he had a round, clyindrical muffler in stock that would fit (about the same length) that would offer about the same noise reduction for $75 installed.

It's been just fine so far.

housertl
02/01/2017, 05:33 AM
Last time I had mine replaced (the muffler rusted free of the tailpipe), the only one that my shop could find that would fit was a Flowmaster, which they gave me with no upcharge because OEM wasn't available. I'll look at the receipt to see if there is a specific model number listed.

simonsayz1
02/01/2017, 07:26 AM
I've had both of my VX's mufflers replaced with Magnaflow Part #12255. About $350 installed with new tail pipe.

89Vette
02/01/2017, 03:27 PM
I actually have a used (take-off) muffler in my garage. I converted to duals ($500) at about 75k miles. I was going to keep it...just in case, but it's been long enough. Let me know if you're interested and I'll figure out fair value + shipping.

I can post a picture too. IIRC, they chopped one end (inlet) shorter than I would have voted for but I think it can be reused.

ariastwin
02/06/2017, 02:51 PM
I would be interested in your used muffler. Let me know on price I would really appreciate it.

I actually have a used (take-off) muffler in my garage. I converted to duals ($500) at about 75k miles. I was going to keep it...just in case, but it's been long enough. Let me know if you're interested and I'll figure out fair value + shipping.

I can post a picture too. IIRC, they chopped one end (inlet) shorter than I would have voted for but I think it can be reused.

89Vette
02/07/2017, 04:48 PM
I'd forgotten the muffler shop "nubbed" both ends. I would think there's still enough (and heavy enough) metal to weld to -- for each end. Obviously, there's some surface rust due to it's age upon removal. Again, it was around 75k-80k miles at removal. I'm thinking it was 2010-2011. I probably posted about getting duals? (My VX has 120k now.)

Please feel free to suggest a value. I'm trying to decide -- since a muffler is a hard one. (I wonder how long they typically last?)

It looks like you are in Minneapolis, Minnesota? Quick check of shipping sites makes me think $25-$35 to ship (depending on size of box and weight). I don't currently own a scale! LOL

Here's pictures as it sits...w/o any clean-up.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/greggpenn/MyVehicross/VXmuffler1_zpsj4codjgc.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/greggpenn/media/MyVehicross/VXmuffler1_zpsj4codjgc.jpg.html)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/greggpenn/MyVehicross/VXmuffler2_zpsxph6bosb.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/greggpenn/media/MyVehicross/VXmuffler2_zpsxph6bosb.jpg.html)

89Vette
02/07/2017, 10:08 PM
Couldn't find a post with a sale price -- where someone else sold their muffler. Did find a couple w/o price though.

To help decide if the muffler is still viable, I rapped on it with my knuckles...looking for soft spots in case it was close to rust-through. Didn't find any. The visible rust is appears superficial. I found a post where I was thinking of changing it out. It was in 2012. At that time, I was curious about a change in sound from cold-to-hot performance. At that time, I learned there's an internal valve in VX mufflers. (It works on simple pressure.) Someone cut a muffler apart and displayed where/how the valve sits. Shaking mine (after removal) proved mind was still good/operational.

blacksambo
02/11/2017, 05:13 PM
I will give you $75.00 for it plus shipping to 12866.
Let know via pm. Thx