PDA

View Full Version : !@#$ing engine and trans

tpunk
10/30/2016, 07:22 AM
You know, the more I work on my VX, the more I hate the engine and transmission in it. It is just a PITA to work on the engine. Every bolt mounted to the back of the engine is almost impossible to get to, putting the bypass hose and TB hose under the intake is an idiotic design choice, the bracket around the FPR adds more suffering to any job requiring the intake to be removed, and the hoses for the AC and Power Steering are almost impossible to get to. The transmission... who would put a 4L30E in an off-road vehicle made after the mid 90's? It just a sad transmission, with a ridiculous design to fill with fluid. After working on my truck for a blown head-gasket I have come to the conclusion I really miss my LS1 Camaro when it comes to working on anything. All this said, I love my VX and will continue to suffer through working on it... unless someone can figure out a way to swap in an LS1 and keep TOD... then I might not have to suffer while working on it anymore :)

tpunk
10/30/2016, 06:39 PM
Just got it back up and running. What a difference. My vacuum line to the variable intake was broken, and thus not functioning. My intake gasket was cracked, and my car idled like crap. Now it's is smooth as silk. Not only that but after rebuilding my power steering pump, the steering is super light. I had no idea how good the steering really is on this thing. So good to have it back on the road.

blacksambo
10/30/2016, 09:00 PM
Congratulations. Perhaps through suffering you built some valuable character, as well. I know I did doing my intake gaskets.

WormGod
10/31/2016, 07:11 AM
Ha.... try having the S/C mounted. Reaching anything is a dice roll. ;)

tpunk
10/31/2016, 02:29 PM
I can't even imagine. I have a feeling the SC would be worth the self induced smiting though. After pulling the intake twice I've gotten pretty quick at it though. Magnetic inserts for sockets, ratcheting box wrenches, and stubby wrenches are worth their weight in gold.