PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone?

louweed
10/26/2016, 11:51 AM
Hey guys i may have finally purchased a VX! But where is everyone? This forum seems to have really slowed down since years back... are the enthusiasts gone? is the VX hype gone? :confused:

YellowVX
10/26/2016, 04:29 PM
There are still many VX enthusiasts out there. However, some of the "original" forum members have sold their VX's and have really slowed down or even completely abandoned this site. On a plus side, we do see new members introducing themselves occasionally.

louweed
10/26/2016, 09:02 PM
There are still many VX enthusiasts out there. However, some of the "original" forum members have sold their VX's and have really slowed down or even completely abandoned this site. On a plus side, we do see new members introducing themselves occasionally.

well that sucks... funny you say this though because i've noticed a lot more VXs for sale in the past year way more at one time than I use to see. are people unloading them because parts are becoming so difficult to find?

YellowVX
10/27/2016, 03:07 AM
I believe you are correct. Finding parts for these iconic off road vehicles is becoming harder and harder by the day. Not to mention, if you have to buy from Isuzu, the price can be very steep. I've also seen where some members have sold their VX's for financial reasons or the vehicle does not fit their family. None the less, here you will find the VX faithful who share the love for the VX.

Vendetta
10/27/2016, 05:11 AM
This website transitioned to a completely new look and feel some time ago, which put off many of the most frequent users and contributors. Fortunately, all of our collective knowledge can still be found among the clutter here, and may users have found their way to facebook.

But yes, this place isn't the same since the cutover. I think that caused the exodus, which may or may not have anything at all to do with the percieved increase in VX sales.
-V

ALC1717
10/27/2016, 06:43 AM
Lawrence - I Have Been Trying To Contact You But You Never Respond !

WormGod
10/27/2016, 07:04 AM
I check in on mornings when I'm sipping coffee at work. The seas are quite calm these days, but that's probably because many of these rigs have gone to the scrap heaven and been sold off to people who just aren't motivated for the social scene. I'm in it to win it till I can get Historic tags on mine. ;)

Y33TREKker
10/27/2016, 09:03 AM
I still check in on occasion but it seems the site has become another victim of the Facebook/WalMart phenomenon.

I don't use FB for anything more than keeping in touch with casual friends/acquaintances though if I can help it (close friends and I still go the old school route and talk on the phone), so I really have no idea what kinds of FB/VX pages you may find if you want to go that route.

For finding specific VX info/troubleshooting/parts/etc at this point, what's left of this site, Google, eBay, and SearchTempest generally do the trick.

Cobrajet
10/27/2016, 04:36 PM
I still check in almost daily, even though I sold my VX over a year and half ago. This site was offline for so long that I didn't have you guys to talk me our of trading my VX. I sometimes regret selling it, but the Taurus SHO that took it's place in the garage is so much more comfortable for those long road trips. I never went off road anymore, didn't need it for commuting in the snow (working from home), and the SHO was both faster (MUCH) and got better gas mileage (~24 combined), and is also rare, soooo...

This site was never the same after it came back online. The Facebook group stole some members away for good. Others simply got tired of waiting, and got out of the VX habit. It's a shame. I really liked VX.INFO.

ipd
10/27/2016, 06:37 PM
Glad to hear you got one finally, Lou!

The issue you describe has multiple reasons. People are FB retards now, and I refuse to have anything to do with that leftist-bent, feed-contorting, brainwashing site. That, coupled with a poorly maintained site here, and a total production run of <6000, and you have a recipe for a very small community.

I'm still here though, and I'm never having kids; they'll have to pry my VX out of my cold, dead hands. I used to say that about my 3/s, but I learned the hard way that drivetrain modding quickly empties the wallet, kills reliability, and darkens the soul of hope. My VX is staying 100% drivetrain stock.

Plus...I'm one of the "lucky" ones who hasn't hit 100k miles yet. In any event....Cheers to another Ebony brother! :) Black is beautiful. ;)

ipd
10/27/2016, 06:44 PM
P.S.

Email notification system is hopelessly broken. I'm subscribed to 200+ threads, and I NEVER get update emails for threads on this site. Not junk/spam box, not inbox. nothing.

blacksambo
10/30/2016, 06:40 AM
Hello, I'm still here, as well albeit far less frequently.
As far as parts, no problem really Isuzu Parts Center can an get all but the rarest items. The remaining VX's if in great shape are bringing more money than ever and the Kelly Blue Book value has risen. I'd keep the faith, the VX ' s best days are yet to come.

louweed
11/11/2016, 09:51 PM
this thread needs a serious bump! ;)

johnnyapollo
11/12/2016, 04:30 AM
Most of the activity has moved the the Facebook group, I believe.

ipd
11/12/2016, 06:05 AM
:(

Guess I'll never be meeting up with anyone then.

mrtew
11/13/2016, 08:17 AM
I've been here since June 2002, soon after I bought my VX new and I still have it. Those were different times. We were young and cool and rich and were driving the car of the future that grabbed everyone's attention just driving down the street, especially in bright yellow. Now everyone has freaky crossovers and ours are just odd looking antiques that require half an explanation before people's attention drifts back to their iPhone screen. I was really into this site for a long time but after 10 years I got a Camaro and got more into that site and only used my Isuzu for the winter months since it goes great with snow tires and is already rusty underneath. I'm still here though and I'll hopefully always have my VX!

89Vette
11/14/2016, 02:07 PM
I also check the site often...at least a few times per week. It doesn't take long since the nice feature that displays current posts shows how utterly inactive it's become. It was pointed out that the look/feel of a changeover put some people off. I think it's a combination of a few things.

I don't think the look/feel was the biggest problem. That it took so long to transition was a bigger issue. Visiting forums...and having conversations is a habit. That's why FB and phones are "addictive". When you remove an addiction, it's easier to break the habit. Maybe "having a different look/feel" is a polite way for saying the site was delivered "broken" after such a long hiatus? Functions don't all work after that transition and (to me) links to IMPORTANT historical threads weren't retained. Tracing your way through what USED TO BE some great information is now MUCH more difficult. It's sad that the site owner cites major health problems for the inability to restore better operation. I would add that the passing of time aggravates any ability to restore/relink historical posts/information.

Ironically, one of the last posts (by the owner) suggested he was looking for a buy-out. (That's how I interpreted his feedback anyway). Like a fine sports-car, if you tear into it and "break it" before the sale, the value to others is hurt. So, it doesn't seem likely that will happen. As a profit enterprise, you also have to consider the size of the audience -- which seems also "damaged" ...especially the longer site inactivity continues to be the norm.

Really, the older our vehicles become, the more likely I would think it would be to seek out assistance to diagnose, fix problems, and source parts. As such, I'm not sure you can point dwindling participation to much other than site problems.

ipd
11/14/2016, 02:18 PM
There is simply no way the information on a social media site can index, catalogue, make searchable, etc. information to the same extent or quality that a dedicated forum can. I get that FB/twitter/instagram/insert-favorite-site-here are all quite popular...but they are NOT designed for long-term information storage. No offense to those who use them, but those sites are better suited to announcing what you had for dinner last night; information that will be soon forgotten. If you want to save a detailed-write-up for how to change your kanuter valve or blinker fluid....FB simply sucks, imho.

VX KAT
11/14/2016, 04:50 PM
There's been several discussions about what occurred that made the forum start to wither on the vine.
Sure there have been numerous sales as peoples lives and needs changed, some were for financial reasons (such as myself), and other reasons. Many people say the hiatus and then the "new" software/format were what caused them to basically leave this forum. Many found it non-intuitive, awkard and very frustrating. I just plain gave up!

Coincidentally at the same time, the FB VX group was taking off and many, many jumped to the FB group. I absolutely detest FB (just like you ipd), but over time I realized if I ever wanted to be in touch with many VX friends, and many others, I'd have to give in and use it.

For many months I saw FB peeps ask question after question, that I knew were well documented on .info and I'd suggest they search there....or I'd attach the link (that worked) from my personal info library.
It was so frustrating.

I'd frequently rail about FB not being intended to be a searchable database, and thus, the same questions get asked over and over.....and I got tired of referring people to the forum, over and over....or re-typing the same info.....but nothing changed....they didn't use it. Most want instant infomation, and aren't interested in searching for anything, let alone on software that's not complete and not fully functional.

FB is the only real "active" Vehicross site now, and love it or leave, it's all we really have now. Don't know what will become of the massive database and the invaluable info on the forum! :sado:

I have to agree.....this new software/platform is so hard to manuever around, that even I gave up. It doesn't show every new post in the "front page" index! Makes me crazy.

What really makes me sad about this, is the loss of rapport and camaraderie most of us enjoyed on the forum, and the fun and joking around. There's virtually none of that on FB. What a shame. We had way more fun on the forum than we do on this monster "social network"......<sigh>

BIG TIP:
IF YOU GET THE 404 ERROR MESSAGE CLICK ON THE URL AND IF IT HAS THE THIS FORMAT:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=xxxxxx
DELETE THE WORD "FORUMS/" FROM THE URL and hit enter again....it will take you successfully to the link.

So there ya have it......"and that's all I have to say about that"...(sorry couldn't resist...watched Forrest Gump the other day :happyface).

ipd
11/14/2016, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the insight! I agree, Kat. I can't speak for the rest of the community, but THIS site will be my home. Mods I make, pictures I take...they'll ONLY be on here. It's not perfect, I know. I've been part of another VIBRANT car forum that died. That one went under because the owner didn't pay to keep the site up or whatnot...and it disappeared. At the time, it was the 2nd largest forum for that car platform. I feel it when a forum I love dies--and even worse when it's THE forum of record for a platform I love. Without this site--without Jo--I don't even have a VX. That's a FACT. And that's just in the last year; proving that even though this site may not be as lively as it used to...it still does some good.

For those who are in the Southeast, I'm hopefully moving back to GA soon. So if any of you would like to arrange a meet, or if you're passing through my neck of the woods, you can hit me up on here.

P.S.
I'm probably never having kids. I'm financially better off than 90% of my peers. I'm moving back to the south (no road-salt). And I'm keeping my low-mileage VX 100% stock mechanically. So unless some idiot clips me...I will be keeping my VX for a LONG, LONG, LONG time. I plan on being here.

CatFish
11/15/2016, 09:49 PM
I am still here but there is not as much action on the forum as there used to be. It is true a lot of people just post on Facebook now, I also resisted the Facebook but found I was missing out on gatherings and events so I reluctantly joined Facebook, if you want to join us there here it is https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606/

I still like the forum and find it much better than Facebook in many ways, when I have good info and want it to live on longer than a day I post here so the topic and info does not just fade away like on Facebook.

Congrats on the VX, I hope you can join us for a gathering or in Moab 2017 http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/27399-Moab-2017-Get-your-rooms-booked-)

Triathlete
11/17/2016, 11:04 AM
Still around, just not as often.

MSHardeman
11/18/2016, 11:13 AM
I'm still here and check in every day at least twice a day. Not a big Facebooker, and I'm sure that I am missing some scintillating conversations, but I'm OK with that. I really don't find the .info layout all that difficult to navigate so I'll be cruising around here for a while. I know the full transition to the new format was never completed due to Scott's health issues, but there is still a TON of great information here.

Maybe I should start downloading and cataloging everything that I can from the site so that if .info ever goes away the information won't be lost.

Mile High VX
11/18/2016, 07:19 PM
Like Mark said...still here a few times a day. I'm on the Facebook side too, but it's not great for searching for help like it is here...:)

spaceCADETzoom
11/20/2016, 07:40 PM
Oh wow. I think it was the changeover and was gone for a while. And it snowballed because the only reason I checked this was to see new conversations, but if there are no new ones, I would check and see a ghost town, so stopped looking here daily...weekly... It's apparently been so long since I logged in here that I had to accept some agreement before I even posted this reply. heh. Even the trove of knowledge is hit/miss because I often get errors now, and the searches don't seem as responsive (especially if you're coming in from google). Facebook, as mentioned, has leeched some, but I think that's because in a way it's convenient, and one doesn't have to go out of their way to log into something on the internet that's vx specific...on fb it's just part of your feed. Regardless, I too worry about the information base lost by a fb page vs forum. I think it's kind of internet use in general, though; I'm frequenting a Ford Fiesta ST subreddit after buying that car a few months ago. Reddit sees my eyes over the associated car forums because it's not out of the way too. I think maybe all car forums are becoming a little like that, except for troubleshooting and/or maybe classifieds--and those things get smaller and smaller if the car the forum is about is disappearing from the planet too.

ipd
11/20/2016, 07:42 PM
Reddit isn't much better than FB. It's also poorly laid-out compared to a proper forum like this. Reddit reminds me of message boards circa 1998.

spaceCADETzoom
11/20/2016, 08:31 PM
Which works for what it is. Everything is cyclical :)

blacksambo
11/29/2016, 06:19 AM
I don't do Facebook either. We still have two 99's that we drive daily. One has 177K the other 114K.

Anita
11/29/2016, 08:40 PM
I confess that this old original owner started spending less and less time on the forum. It felt like I was one of the few here who didn't take our VX off-roading (though I am a veteran of two Moab meets and scores of other meets), or load her with aftermarket upgrades.

I still have my baby, she is running like a top, and for the most part she has very few aftermarket products on her. The VX still has her powervault muffler prototype on. What a roar now! She could use a bath and a good detailing job but I love her as much as the day I picked her up from the dealer. My mechanic who worked on her since 2000 finally moved out of state, so I am in mourning.

I miss the ol' gang -- everyone is moving on but I'm feeling the pull of the forum again. True, this new format really stunts what functioning we had in the past.

Hello to everyone who remembers me - and hi to everyone else!

Anita

MSHardeman
11/30/2016, 08:58 AM
Anita, it's good to see you on the board again. It HAS been a while, but how could we forget you?
I may not be an original owner, but I have owned my VX for more than 11 years now and, like you, I still love her as much as the day I picked her up. I am lucky enough to have her as a garage queen now, but I usually visit her a few times a week just to say hello.

Anita
12/08/2016, 12:01 AM
Anita, it's good to see you on the board again. It HAS been a while, but how could we forget you?
I may not be an original owner, but I have owned my VX for more than 11 years now and, like you, I still love her as much as the day I picked her up. I am lucky enough to have her as a garage queen now, but I usually visit her a few times a week just to say hello.

It's amazing that after so many years of ownership, when I park her and make my way to the house, I always look back. I still admire the design like it was handmade just for me.

Thanks for the kind words. :yesb::yesb::bgwb:

mrtew
12/08/2016, 04:20 AM
I totally agree Anita! I see all those freaky looking Lexus SUV's nowadays that look like they're trying SOOOOO hard to look weird and cool and sporty and athletic and then I look at the VehiCross and it's design looks so effortless, like it could naturally be no other way. I can't find anything about it besides the fangs and horns that really look like they are unusual at all, but it still has a unreal presence that grabs everyone's attention. I'm like you, and when I get out of my truck I even turn on the garage light for a second so I can see it better before I close the door for the night!

ipd
12/08/2016, 05:43 AM
Yeah, and what is it with chrome trim coming back in style? I thought we'd finally done away with that...yet here it is, as a feature around windows & stuff on newer vehicles. Gross.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--7js5X1qE-g/VcM0KW2kW4I/AAAAAAAA29k/R84T-P-MqFg/s1600/2016-Lexus-RX-0.jpg

Baldwin
12/08/2016, 02:22 PM
Been a while since I've been here. Still have my OG VX. comin' up on 200k miles. Can you believe that I STILL have my original brakes!!! They keep telling me I have plenty of pad and it's cuz I'm mostly highway driving. I can't believe it. It's mostly OG except I'm on my 4th radio now. I still cameo my VX in my music videos and still get fanmail about my car. I'm workin' on a couple movies right now so I'm trying to figure out a way to sneak in my Proton as an Easter Egg. If you're in the LA area, our next big film/concert event will be on Jan 27th. My VX will be there. More info at www.FindingCleveland.com.

joeworf
12/09/2016, 03:37 PM
Still cracking the door open a smidge and peeping in... :bgwb:
Yeah, I certainly miss the former days of the site's glory. I used to drop in several times a day, but after the site being down as long as it was and the inferior overhaul, well, I just drifted away. Since I'm also part of the detest Facebook crowd (never been there so far) that option is largely off the table.
I still have my '01 Dragon and other than needing a good detailing and some cladding refinishing, she's still chugging along. I don't drive it as much but I still take it out for a weekly spin (okay sometimes bi-weekly). Replaced the battery a couple of months ago and that's about it.
I do miss the ol' gang and the family feuds, banter and fun that were all part of being part of the "group". I guess my one regret will be never having made it to "The Stoop" at Moab before its demise. ::sigh::

ZEUS
12/15/2016, 05:03 PM
I sold my VX about 6 years ago and almost all the VXers I typically responded to are either texting buddies, FB friends, 'family' I like to see in person, or all the above! Hell, my VX has changed hands twice since I owned it so a total of three owners have called it ZEUS! I still check in on ZEUS thru FB where the current owner & I connected. However, I visit this site when I need to recollect shared info, from time to time, mmm-hmm. On the bright side (for some), this new layout probably does not ignite "site supporter" pride-fights like it once did! Haha! But this 'new' format sucks, in fact, it just logged me out while I was typing this reply.
And for the record, I still do not wear a seatbelt... :D
Long live the VX!

ipd
12/15/2016, 09:18 PM
I also get "myfilestore" redirects instead of links that take me to updated threads on here. Sadly, this site is as broken as the Affordable Healthcare Act. :(

CatFish
12/16/2016, 01:04 AM
I get the same annoying "myfilestore" thing to, does anyone know why this started happening?

johnnyapollo
12/16/2016, 02:39 AM
I still check every day but there's not much going on. My truck is starting to fall apart a bit - most recently the exhaust tip on my PV catback fell off. Should hit 190K in 2017 - I also ordered the Tesla 3 so I'm not sure how much more I'll be driving the Proton.

Y33TREKker
12/16/2016, 08:31 AM
Super VXer
Former Owner of 'ZEUS' aka 1031
(0% Positive Feedback)
On the bright side (for some), this new layout probably does not ignite "site supporter" pride-fights like it once did! Haha!
Good to see you've matured and moved on to the point that you don't find it necessary to try to relive the past about such things anyway. Haha!

VXorado
12/17/2016, 08:39 AM
I guess my one regret will be never having made it to "The Stoop" at Moab before its demise. ::sigh::

Although the actual Stoop was demolished, the group of VXers found the new "stoop" to keep the annual adventure alive. Sure less Vehicri' show up than the glory days, but the group and experience remains the same.

I'll be there once again in 2017, no Vehicross but I'll be there...

VX KAT
12/17/2016, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I sure miss the "old forum" with the fun, banter and good info.
I still detest FB, but it is the platform for now.
I've only missed one Moab in 9 yrs, and it's still a ton of fun.
Like Jon said, not as many VXs, heck, even I have a Trooper now.
Glad to know you'll be there again Jon!
IMO the new stoop needs more people for more fun! So come on out!

CatFish
12/17/2016, 12:03 PM
I also like to forums better than FB, maybe if we stop answering questions on FB that are answered and explained in the forum, I do post links to the forum and so do others but maybe we could refer people more than we do now and see what happens.

Jon, I am interested to see what vehicle you will bring to Moab this year.

VX KAT
12/17/2016, 01:50 PM
It's the search function failure that makes people not want to go back. Since you figured out how to correct most of the 404 errors (by deleting "/forums" from the URL of the 404 error page, I have been able to find whatever I was looking for.
But I know it's there, and often know who wrote it, so I can more easily sort thru the search results to find what I'm looking for.
To a noobe, that's not possible.
I'm always disappointed in FB users lack of willingness to invest any significant time reading up on all kinds of topics before hitting FB. ("What kind of tranny fluid does it take?" comes to mind this week). Unless you're stuck somewhere and really need that info immediately, I think the owners manual would be almost as quick.
OTOH, FB is a totally different animal and is a short quick platform.
****** But I wish people would realize what a HUGE resource .info is AND REMEMBER how to EASILY correct most of the 404 errors....and you're basically golden!!! *****

VXorado
12/19/2016, 10:38 AM

Well then I don't want to ruin the surprise! I will tell you it's not the obvious vehicle that says JEEP on it.

ZEUS
12/19/2016, 02:22 PM
Super VXer
(0% Positive Feedback)
On the bright side (for some), this new layout probably does not ignite "site supporter" pride-fights like it once did! Haha!
Good to see you've matured and moved on to the point that you don't find it necessary to try to relive the past about such things anyway. Haha!

Good to see you're still that guy who can take an "On the bright side" comment and turn it negative. Good to see you, Trekkie, as you have always been someone to count on in that regard!

VX KAT
12/19/2016, 02:29 PM
I was thinking that same exact thing Justin! LOL!

CatFish
12/19/2016, 09:49 PM

Well then I don't want to ruin the surprise! I will tell you it's not the obvious vehicle that says JEEP on it.

I want to play guess the new Vehicle Jon will bring. My first clue is that is needs to hold a family so no small two doors 4x4s and not a Jeep.
1. Toyota FJ
2. Mercedes-Benz G500
3. Willys wagon
4. Hummer
5. Unimog
6. Blazer/Suburban
7. Trooper
8. Rodeo

Trooper?

VX KAT
12/19/2016, 11:00 PM
Hmmmm......
I'm going to guess FJ....although I don't recall if parents say the suicide doors make it easy enough to install the car seat / child or not......even though I have one, we pulled the rear seats so long ago I don't even remember how hard or easy it was to get in there.

ipd
12/20/2016, 08:29 AM
What? You mean he DIDN'T clone the VX4? :p

Y33TREKker
12/20/2016, 01:08 PM
Super VXer
(0% Positive Feedback)
On the bright side (for some),

Good to see you're still that guy who can take an "On the bright side" comment and turn it negative. Good to see you, Trekkie, as you have always been someone to count on in that regard!
Speaking of being counted on, good to see "some" of you are still as predictably passive-aggressive as ever, since I noticed both of you conveniently overlooked the "for some" part of your "positive" comment. ;)

rowhard
02/01/2017, 07:47 AM
guess I'll have to give it a New Years bump. Still here, still have the VX.

anyone interested in buying the molds and supplies I used to makes the skidplates plz contact me

cr0sh
03/10/2017, 08:31 PM
This...is unexpected. I guess I'll have to search out the facebook group - but. Damn. I haven't been on for a while, but I just got my VX kitted out with some nice gear - new tires (Pro-Comp MT Extreme 32s), a bunch of stuff from Rocky Road (OME lift kit, super-sliders, and diff guard), and I got my Curt hitch installed. Paid a -ton- to have it all done, but I've been busy with an online class since October, and I needed to get the stuff out of my garage. I'm keeping my VX - I love her too much. Drove her today to work and back. Great ride, but I gotta get her off road soon.

jonnybegood
03/13/2017, 02:18 PM
I'm staying on the forum! I can't do Facebook...not for me. Lets keep 'er alive!

ipd
03/13/2017, 06:38 PM
Right there with you!

I keep hoping for a nice sunny day when I don't have to work...so I can get some better pics of my vx. :)

jonnybegood
03/13/2017, 07:45 PM
Right there with you!

I keep hoping for a nice sunny day when I don't have to work...so I can get some better pics of my vx. :)

I just posted a few pics of my rig in members for the first time! Also added a comment to the wheels/tires - I really want to try something...

Also - is anyone else sick of all the dead links!? :deadgray: