PDA

View Full Version : Tire, Wheel and TOD Help Needed!!

kpv
12/15/2003, 08:34 AM
I am a new member here and I was hoping someone may be able to help.
I recently had an encounter with a curb in a snowstorm here in New Jersey. I blew out the right front tire and slightly bent the rim. Following are several pictures of the damage:

http://members.rennlist.com/kpv/blowout.jpg

http://members.rennlist.com/kpv/blowout-3.jpg

http://members.rennlist.com/kpv/blowout-4.jpg

I need help with the following:
Can the rim be bent back into shape? A new rim is $499 through the dealer!!!!!
Does anyone have a rim they can sell me?
THe sidewall has a slash in it, thereby necessitating its replacement. I was going to buy a replacement tire (Yokohama AVS S/T 265/60/18) from Tire Rack. Is this the best option?
Lastly, I drove approximately 80 miles at 45-50mph with the donut spare on the right front wheel. At about that point the TOD started to make some weird noises. They were sort of like groaning noises. I thought the smaller donut may have been the cause. I finished the drive home, another 20 miles, doing 20 mph with my flashers on to avoid the noises. What did I hear? Did I ruin the TOD, transmission or differential due to the smaller donut spare?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please reply!!

[This message has been edited by kpv (edited 12-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by kpv (edited 12-15-2003).]

kpv
12/15/2003, 09:37 AM
Spazz,
My stock wheels are 18". I am surprised that yours are 16.

VX_PA
12/15/2003, 10:13 AM
Here's the deal:

There are places out there that can fix a wheel, just check around at some local body shops to find out who they use and if they are reliable. This usually requires sending the wheel out to them for about 2 weeks and runs anywhere between $110 to $200 depending on the damage.

Best option for the tire is to get a new one and place it on the rear so that the tread is the same on the 2 front tires. Once you drive your VX for awhile it will wear the new tire enough that it won't matter when you rotate your tires 6,000 mile later.

Third option, buy a new set of aftermarket wheels with the tires already mounted (wheel/tire combo) from almost any internet wheel dealer. Cost anywhere between $1500 to $4500 depending upon what you want and how fast you want it.

Good luck!!

Oh yeah, lastly take off the spare on the front and put one of the rear wheels in its place. Drive and see if the noise is still there. If the noise persists remove your brake rotor and check the wheel bearings, the curb impact could've cracked one which would cause a grinding sound.

kpv
12/15/2003, 11:19 AM
I ordered a replacement tire from TireRack. $160 delivered to my door.

Ideally, I would like to find someone that has upgraded their wheels and is interested in selling one or two of their original wheels. Is anyone interested in this?

Cracked bearing, huh? That does not sound like fun. I will have to research that further.

ScubaSteve
12/15/2003, 11:28 AM
KNOCK ON WOOD... bad bearings really aren't THAT big a deal. not saying you don't need it fixed, but i could think of worse you could have done smacking into the curb like that!

kpv
12/15/2003, 01:53 PM
Isn't there anyone out there that has a stock wheel they want to sell?
If not, does anyone think mine can be repaired?

VX_PA
12/15/2003, 01:57 PM
Stock 18's sell fast around here. I told you already that your wheel can be repaired it's just going to take some research on your end. Call some local repair shops and get some names, it can be fixed.

AlaskaVX
12/15/2003, 02:00 PM
I had a rim that got a mark kinda similar to yours from offroading and it worked perfectly fine still. You might only need to replace the tire. :confused:

Daver
12/15/2003, 03:42 PM
I would caution having the new tire on the rear. It's probably safer, but not as good for the limited slip.

Also keep in mind that if your other tires are sufficiently worn, TOD might not like the new tire much either.

mmm...locking hubs. No worries about the size of the spare on the front. :)

-Daver

joesvx
12/15/2003, 06:12 PM
I have my stock 18"s that I might be interested in parting with they are in good shape with no major blems just normal wear. I would sell them for 200 a piece plus shipping. If three other people are interested.

VX FIX
12/15/2003, 08:20 PM
kpv: You mighy want to try www.carparts.com....there might be a salvage yard close to you .that might have one. good luck and welcome aboard!! VX FIX Fred

VX FIX
12/15/2003, 08:34 PM
kpv; typed in wrong site address. sorry ...the correct one is .....www.car-part.com

joesvx
12/16/2003, 04:53 AM
Hey VX FIX I am in Ohio too. I am in Mansfield. Maybe we could get together some time.... Joe

nocturnalVX
12/16/2003, 02:19 PM
If you are looking for a cheap 18" replacement, check my post...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2713

VX FIX
12/16/2003, 06:49 PM
hey joesvx..sounds good to me ..always looking for reason to drive my vx . I have lots of time from end of Dec... to first part of March. just e-mail me .... Fred