PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: OEM Engine Variants

Vendetta
10/06/2016, 03:32 PM
Gang,

Here we go again. Another engine, and another engine thread!

After the better part of a year researching, considering, and chasing my own tail about what to do about a replacement motor, I've decided to just stick with the OEM 3.5L 6VE1.

I've seen many references to the "old" vs "new" design for the easily compatible (i.e. not direct injection) variants. The newer variant has modified piston design to address oil starvation. It seems that motors of this new design also have a screw-in style PCV valve receiver.

So my question, as I want to be absolutely sure the remanufactured motor I'd buy is the newer variant: Is the existence of the newer PCV design 100% correlated to the improved piston design? Or, to put it another way, what can I ask the seller to photograph for me so that I can be SURE to get the newer design motor? I will be acquiring it from a distance with no opportunity to see it in person.

Looking forward to getting back in my VX and rejoining the family fun!

-V

jimmyray
10/10/2016, 11:38 AM
Unless you can see the pistons with the additional holes drilled into the oil ring land i dont think you will know for sure. I just rebuilt mine myself and manually drilled additional holes into the pistons and did a port and polish on the heads. Find a reputable engine builder and just tell him what you want done rather than buy a rebuilt that is just as it was factory built.

The engine rebuilder should provide you with a Blueprint of all the engine specs so you will know all the clearances of your engine.

Vendetta
10/11/2016, 08:18 PM
Thanks, jimmyray.

That lines up with what I've learned on the outside. Word is, there's so much mishmash out there in terms of rebuilds, possibly intermingled parts between the 3.2s and 3.5s, and the inherint risk in remanufactured engines, I decided to just bite the bullet and go brand new crate updated 6VE1 motor.

Barring any other obstacles, I should have her back on the road 'ere the frost.

-V

blacksambo
10/15/2016, 09:42 AM
There is a guy most frequently found lurking on Planet Isuzu named I believe Chuck Leonard who specializes in rebuilding the 6VE1. Find him he's the engine guru.