PDA

View Full Version : Advice on potential purchase

mindaugas
10/02/2016, 10:47 AM
I looked a 2001 Kaiser with 113k yesterday. Had a number of issues, but generally seemed to drive fine. It's at a dealer so no service records, just a trade in.

Transmission or motor leak, oil was on transmission near pan. It looked like motor oil, not transmission fluid.
ABS light on (from carfax 07/20/2016 109,630 Service Facility Brake booster replaced/repaired)
Both seat levers to flip backs for rear access busted
Crappy falken tires with a conservative 40% tread left
The window track issue on both, driver's needed a lot of help getting up. Passenger is almost as bad
Body damage on rear bumper, looks like backed into something
Rear camera but no display for it
I saw some rusted screws under the hood at the front near radiator. It came from OH, last 2 years here in WA. I didn't check for rust in the other usual places.
Only one key, no fobs
Body is in decent shape, some scuffs and scrapes but nothing major except for the rear bumper
Minor shake on highway around 60mph+
Seahawks logos everywhere :P
Silver is my least favorite color

Obviously the leak and ABS are the largest concern, with the leak being the first concern. I wiped some off with my finger and it looked more like brown oil than purplish transmission fluid. Could be a seal on the rare of motor leaking down onto the transmission. I didn't smell any burning on the test drive or after. Transmission seemed to shift smoothly, no big jerks or clunks. No exhaust leaks. no CEL.

Dealer is asking $6k. I was honestly thinking about offering $3k because the sales guy kept saying make us an offer as I was listing off all my worries. I left without making an offer. But even at $3k I'm worried about that leak. I could take it to a mechanic but then I'd have to pay $100 or more for them to track it down. And then the hassle of bringing it back if it turns out bad.

What do you guys think?

Y33TREKker
10/03/2016, 06:24 AM
Can a person go to the DMV to try to determine the previous owner for contacting them about previous service records and issues?

The last time I asked a dealer for previous owner contact info they gave me some BS line about being prevented from doing so because of the Patriot Act. And while that may be true, in that case it came across more to me that they were just trying to hide something about the vehicle so I walked away.

No service records isn't always a dealbreaker for me, but if they're not available, spending a hundred or two dollars on a pre-purchase inspection can sometimes be money well spent if it keeps you from buying a basket-case/money-pit that has more issues than expected.

mindaugas
10/03/2016, 08:06 AM
Can a person go to the DMV to try to determine the previous owner for contacting them about previous service records and issues?

The last time I asked a dealer for previous owner contact info they gave me some BS line about being prevented from doing so because of the Patriot Act. And while that may be true, in that case it came across more to me that they were just trying to hide something about the vehicle so I walked away.

No service records isn't always a dealbreaker for me, but if they're not available, spending a hundred or two dollars on a pre-purchase inspection can sometimes be money well spent if it keeps you from buying a basket-case/money-pit that has more issues than expected.

they won't release personal info at the DMV. The dealer was right and I'm glad they didn't release the info. That would be a huge privacy violation.

Y33TREKker
10/04/2016, 05:03 AM
they won't release personal info at the DMV. The dealer was right and I'm glad they didn't release the info. That would be a huge privacy violation.
As far as a dealership releasing such information goes, sometimes a little common sense goes a long way. If they are in the business of selling USED cars, it's reasonable to consider that a potential buyer is going to want a good idea of what they're buying, especially given how much those dealerships are asking for used cars these days.

Providing prior owner contact info used to be common practice in such situations, but now that everyones' been convinced that they shouldn't even trust their neighbors, the country has gone off the paranoia deepend...all in the name of limited liability.

Good luck then if you decide to pull the trigger on the VX.

Cobrajet
10/04/2016, 08:59 AM
When I traded in my VehiCROSS last year, I provided the dealership with ALL of the receipts for every service and maintenance I had done to the car, thinking that it would be valuable information if the VX ever became a collector car, and the owner wanted to document it's originality. I suspect that the entire folder went into a garbage can or shredder. The new buyer has never contacted me. I'm sure there were credit card receipts, invoices, etc. that contained sensitive information, but I wasn't worried at all. Only an honest and trustworthy person would buy a VehiCROSS!! :)

I would love to know how she is being treated... and I also FEAR knowing how she is being treated. I miss my VX, my back does NOT.

DaGambit69
10/04/2016, 06:20 PM
Dan Danslister on facebook is looking for a buyer for a 2000 proton for 5500 plus shipping...